This listing is marked SOLD and is no longer available

This is, as far as I know, a unique item. I have for sale a "heron-butt" Scottish rifle with a 36" barrel of approximarely .44 caliber. The styling is the classic Scottish style with the distinctive upturned butt and no trigger guard. The butt stock is carved. The round barrel has a "cannon mouthed" muzzle and is solid brass. The barrel's top is engraved "SKrolick Inverness" near the breech in about 3/8" block letters. Mr. Steve Krolick made several of these type weapons (at least three I know of; I have two and another regular subscriber to this Forum has the other. There may be more.) The butt plate is sheet brass and is engraved with a floral design. There is no side plate for the lock nails (screws.) Another unique thing about this weapon is that Mr. Krolick hand made the lock from scratch and designed it to appear as if it was a snaphaunce. For those of you on top of your Scottish rifle and pistol game, the Scots adopted the snaphaunce lock early on and seemed to have retained8ned it far longer than any other European country. In Mr. Krolock's adaptation, the lock plate is long and follows the curve of the wrist to the point where the wrist and butt meet. The steel appears to be a pure snaphaunce but upon close inspection, has a pan cover attached making it a true French lock. The flash pan as a gate that hides this feature, especially when the steel is "down." While there are true snaphaunce lock kits available, this adaptation combines the look and feel of a snaphaunce with the increased reliability of the French lock. The trigger ends in a ball and the ramrod is wood with a thistle-shaped finial. Altogether this is a very attractive little carbine and it a good shooter and "sparker" If you are interested in things Scottish, especially the early Jacobite period c. 1680-1725, I doubt you will ever find another of these available, especially at this price. This is the only brass barrel I know of and will be a centerpiece to your collection. (PS, I have a steel-barreled version and will be keeping that one. Just a little early spring cleaning!)

I am asking $1300 shipped anywhere in the continental U.S. The price is firm. If I don't sell it here to my fellow afficianados, it goes to Track of the Wolf and the price goes up at least $500 to cover their commission plus you pay the shipping. I would consider a trade for an Erickson or Evans hilt but that is about all I would be interested in. If you are interested, please PM. I will be taking pictures tomorrow in the daylight but first come is first served.