Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Quivers, Arrow Bags, and the Like... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jonathan Waller

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Certainly arrows tucked under the belt/girdle are by far the most common way to carry the arrows illustrated, as we reference in the article. As we state the issue comes when one goes above a certain number of arrows. The Tension of the belt or lack of and the number of arrows becomes, such that they will tend to fall through or move around and become difficult to move with and draw out.
The average illustrated seems to be 3 (though 1 or 2 are shown), a few 4s and rarely more.
When we see large numbers or whole sheaves of arrows carried, as in the Illustration you reference or in the Beauchamp Pageant for example, then some form of binding or wrapping of the girdle is needed.

We spent some time investigating methods based upon the illustrations, written records, and practical research and the findings and conclusions are laid out in the article.

Best

Above all, honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary, EHCG
secretary@ehcg.net
www.ehcg.net
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan, I have now obtained your article and it is very good. But I noticed that nobody in this thread had described the manner of carrying a handful of arrows at the belt in detail, or provided links to images of arrows-in-the-belt which could be found online. So my post was not for you as much as for people who might not have access to that journal.

I find this interesting because I have never seen whole bundles of arrows thrust through a belt in ancient art. I don't know much about what kind of quiver self bow cultures used.
Jonathan Waller

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Right....
Glad you like the article.
It was part of the reason we decided to write the article, as amongst the other features of archery that have been addressed , how people actually carry the arrows has never really been addressed in any great detail.... and it is rather important as unless you have arrows to shoot, a bow is of not much use!

certainly carrying more than about 6 arrows under a belt is difficult without some other assistance. as I said in period art 3 arrows seems to be the most common number, which is a good number in real lfe.

Above all, honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary, EHCG
secretary@ehcg.net
www.ehcg.net
Jonathan Waller

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just found an image of archers with arrows stick in the ground, page 292 of Warbow, those that have it. It shouldbe noted however that it is during a siege, and the archers only have 5 and 4 arrows respectively as well as the arrows they are shooting alongside a crossbowman.
Best
JW

Above all, honour
Jonathan Waller
Secretary, EHCG
secretary@ehcg.net
www.ehcg.net
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glennan Carnie wrote:
I think his shooting speed here represents the likely maximum rate-of-shot of a heavyweight military bow. As you can see it is nowhere near the mythical 'twelve arrows a minute', so beloved of reenactors.

It looks like six arrows in a little over a minute. However, I don't see how this could be the maximum - he's picking up the arrows from flat on the ground and nocking them rather carefully. I know Simon Stanley likes six a minute or fewer when shooting very heavy bows too, though supposedly he can manage at least eight per minute with bows of up to 180lbs. As far as period sources go, Sir John Smythe wrote that a good archer could shoot four or five arrows for each bullet an arquebusier could shoot. At six a minute for the bow, the arquebusier wouldn't even get a shot a minute. As the arquebus was the lightest of the English handheld long guns at the time when Smythe wrote, that seems rather slow. I suspect Smythe's arquebusier fired at least two shots a minute and three or even four a minute seems possible. Of course, advocates of the gun disputed Smythe's claim, so it's all quite fuzzy. But based on the video, six arrows per minutes seems like a minimum figure for even the heaviest period bows.
Brian Nelson

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting discussion. I've been shooting a 90 pound longbow for about two years now, and I also have a Turkish recurve bow that is 60 pounds. I've tried pretty much all of the methods discussed here and would like to offer my opinions.

Shooting with arrows in string hand:

Useful for only about 5 arrows, only works with thumb ring technique, by far the fastest way. Also requires preparation (putting arrows in fist). You can't march like this and it takes some time to "refill" your string hand with arrows. This is most likely only useful for horse archery using "shower shooting" attacks.

Shooting with arrows in bow hand:

The arrows need to be small in diameter. I can only hold about four of my 1/2" longbow shafts with this technique. 5/16" arrows for the Turkish bow, I can hold about 10-12. This is probably next fastest method, but again, needs preparation. It takes some time to properly hold the arrows. So this technique also only useful if the soldier knew he was about to have combat. Again, this style favours horse archery.

Shooting with arrows in ground:

Comfortable as you don't have to move much to grab an arrow. Very fast, but it takes quite a while to plant 24 arrows in the ground. Also, I cannot tell what arrow I'm grabbing. I have broadheads, and long and short bodkins. When I have arrows planted in ground I can't choose what arrow to shoot. This could be frustrating for a soldier in a fixed battle. If a line of men-at-arms attacks his position he will want bodkins, but if unarmoured horses are advancing he will probably want to use the broadheads and save the bodkins for armoured opponents. This method does not allow such a choice.

Shooting with arrows laying on ground:

Pretty quick, a little bending over required but you make it part of your motion (plus you squat slightly when shooting longbows). I like that I can tell what points I'm selecting to shoot. It is just as fast as having arrows stuck in ground, but you can see what points you're using and it takes way less setup time (three seconds to dump my bag on the ground). Slightly less comfortable as you have to bend over but better or as good in every other way.

Shooting with arrows in bag:

I have back mounted bags, very slow and uncomfortable to draw arrows from, but good to wear for long hikes. I dislike hip bags as they bang against my legs when I walk, although they are fast. I really like mounting my bag at the small of my back, hung horizontally so I can grab an arrow and slide it to the side. This is comfortable to carry but also almost as fast as a hip hung bag.

Shooting with arrows in belt:

Probably the best of all worlds. I can hold 24 arrows quite comfortably behind my belt. I am mobile with this setup. The arrows are very quick to draw (point first) from the belt. I can select what point I'm shooting. Also pretty quick to add more arrows to the belt from the bag.

I think there is good reason the most-depicted ways longbow archers shot were stuck in belt and laying on ground. Laying on ground is the best prepared position for a static battle formation when arrows are not on the person. Stuck in belt is the best for fixed position with arrows on the person, and is also useful for mobility shooting.

One last thing on my two bows. I can shoot the 60 pound bow much faster than the 90 pound bow. I can use the 60 pound bow with just my arm muscles, this makes it very fast. However, with the 90 pound bow I have to work my entire chest and back, I have to lean into the bow, and squat a little to take that weight. The heavier bow needs a different technique. This technique is slower, and that makes the 90 pound bow a slower shooting bow, because on the 60 pound bow I can "get away with" a technique that is weaker. But because the bow is weaker it works, and makes the bow faster to shoot.

Just some of my thoughts.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Quivers, Arrow Bags, and the Like...
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: