Seeking input from forum members
So the shipment of the Signature swords that we have been out of for so long is finally getting close to leaving the forge. I have been considering offering the Signature swords with a hot peened assembly option. Is this something that would make the swords more attractive to potential buyers or is the hex nut assembly the way to go? I am considering adding this as an option through our custom sword shoppe only as it is too difficult to keep track of variables when dealing with dealers.
Anyway, what do you folks think? I will also be turning on the pre-order option for these swords on the custom sword shoppe site by Friday. We have all of the swords coming in that have been out of stock but the numbers of each are limited because of orders we already have on file.
Coming in will be the Praetorian, Castile, Bristol, Hedemark, Actium, Kriegschwert, Crusader, Knights Templar, Malatesta and the 2 Practicals the 303s and 304s

Sonny
A peened Bristol would find it's way to the top of my next purchases to consider list.
I'm not in a position to buy a new sword at the moment, but if I was, I would almost certainly take a peened Hedemark or Kriegschwert.
Sword
Hi Sonny,
Peened would be the way to go.

Robert
I for one would like the option.
Like others have indicated, peened would be a fantastic option, and I think you'd find a lot of folks interested. It really completes the period look.
Peened for me as well
A peened Kriegschwert sounds yummy. I'd say offer the option and you'll draw in some new customers.
Peened option gets my vote.
I'm going to be a sheep and say I love this idea as well... I may be forced to grab a Bristol to replace the one I sold some time ago... and would be tempted by the Warder, Malatesta... maybe more.
Also.....

Any interest in mild steel fittings rather than stainless steel fittings? :D
Sonny Suttles wrote:
Also.....

Any interest in mild steel fittings rather than stainless steel fittings? :D

Of course. You know your target audience well Sonny.
Hi Sonny,

Well, in the case of the Hedemark, I think I'd like the threaded assembly because it makes it easy to alter the grip and I've read that people find it too long. I've never seen or handled an actual Hedemark so I can't comment on this either way.

In general, I think a threaded assembly with a recessed nut is a good way to do things because it nearly gives the owner the best of both worlds.

I'd prefer mild steel to stainless fittings. Hmmm......... could you blue or blacken the fittings for an extra charge? That would look very good on some of your swords.
I think having the option for peened or hex nut would be good, gives potential buyers the most choice. And I'd also vote for mild steel , as opposed to stainless steel. Mild steel just "feels" more historically correct, and mild steel would give customisers more options if they wish to blue, or brown fittings. I don't think potential corrosion would put many off, Most folks are good at keeping blades oiled..it only takes an extra second or two to wipe down crosses and pommels
Ken Speed wrote:

Well, in the case of the Hedemark, I think I'd like the threaded assembly because it makes it easy to alter the grip and I've read that people find it too long. I've never seen or handled an actual Hedemark so I can't comment on this either way.

It depends on the size of your hands. I have very large hands... so I found the grip on the Hedemark to be perfect and comfortable for me. By contrast... the grip on the Albion Knud was way to small for my to comfortably use.
Sean wrote, "It depends on the size of your hands. I have very large hands... so I found the grip on the Hedemark to be perfect and comfortable for me. By contrast... the grip on the Albion Knud was way to small for my to comfortably use."

Exactly my point! Comfortable grip size is subjective and depends on individual preferences and tastes. As I said, I've never had the opportunity to handle a Hedemark so I don't know if the grip would suit me and therefore I'd like to be able to adjust the length easily if I felt I needed to.

I have two Viking era swords, the Knud and a Hanwei Tinker Viking sword that I'm going to rehilt (Someday!) The Knud is quite comfortable but snug ( which I've read is appropriate for the period) for me and the grip on the HT was very uncomfortable. The HT's pommel seemed to always be in the way when I handled the sword and the grip was far too thin and too square in section.
Sonny,
Simply put, a sword with the hexnut assembly is something I don't plan to ever buy. Period. I understand the reasoning behind it, but for a variety of reasons I dislike it. A peened option (with heat or not) would be a very different story.

As for fittings, both modern mild steel and modern stainless steels are fairly significant departures from period metallurgy. So stainless fittings are less of a bother for me conceptually than the hexnut (as weird as that sounds). But I'd probably opt for mild if it was available.

Some people passionately love the hexnut; some passionately dislike it. If it fits your business model, offering both will get you more customers than just offering one of those. Ditto with the steel on the fittings.
I vote for peened and also for mild steel. My wallet will open when I hear the hammer strike.
Peened is the only configuration I would consider - I recently decided against the Hedemark partly on that basis. The scabbard was hard to turn away from however.....SS furniture is not a plus in my opinion either

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: