Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > any thoughts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ted Kokx

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: any thoughts         Reply with quote

i am looking for a new sword but not one that is really historical, just something different i was thinking about the flames of the angel sword from dark sword armoury any thoughts and what do you guys think of leaf style blades in general?
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nope, haven't had a thought in about ten years!LOL!!

You are, of course, free to buy whatever sword you choose but I'd recommend that you stay away from fantasy swords and the like. I think you'll have more fun with a historical sword, have something that people won't see as a "toy", and have something that can be customized as you wish and if you choose into something either more period correct or more to your personal liking.
Rex Metcalf

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cant speak for that particular sword. However as far as leaf blades in general, the leafies I have owned have been devastating cutters and thrusters. If done well they are very handsome blades that offer alot of versatility.

I've been toying with the idea of a custom leafie with Anglo-Saxon fittings, in a similar but not identical design to the "cheiftains" or "heroes" sword, I cant remember which, but you can get the general idea by going to Wareham Forge.

~RD
Dan P

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the leaf blade design is sort of wasted on anything longer than 30" or so simply because the longer the blade gets, the less it emphasizes the leaf design. And therefore, attenuates the benefits of the style.

I'd never buy a sword that came in at almost 5 pounds for 46" no matter how nice it looked though.
Josh S

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like you are indeed looking for a fantasy-based sword. From what I've seen, you're not going to find a lot of support for the idea here. And that's fair. However, check out http://www.fableblades.com/ - most of the guy's work is tasteful despite being fantastical, and more to the point, functional(from what I can tell).
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leaf blades can be neat look swords and they can perform well. It does get hard to keep the distinctive leafed shape as blades get longer. Some folks manage it well enough while others do not so well.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like leaf blades as well... Cool

Other makers that do them well are ATrim, Odinblades and Al Massey.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have actually seen this sword and the answer is don't. The design was from a contest that SBG ran and DSA was chosen to make it they totally butchered it. The execution was so bad that it was later made by gen 2/legacy arms and that version is MUCH better (I have in fact the prototype for the gen 2 with me as the preview tour that was suppose to happen kinda stopped at me so I'm holding until given further instructions...there are some reviews of both these swords on the old SBG forum). They have the bad gen 2 leather still, but the sword is balanced quite well for use actually. I have also met the designer of this sword and he was very dismayed at the DSA version while very happy with the gen 2 one...so if you like how this sword looks, get the gen 2 version.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > any thoughts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic