Halberd dimensions
I'm working with a local craftsman trying to make a early 15th century halberd like the left one in the picture.
What would the typical dimensions be? Width and lenght?

[ Linked Image ]
Picture from thearma.org.
I can give you some clues on some of those dimensions, and from there, with a set of dividers and a ruler, you could pretty well discern the rest.

The Halberd on the right, it's ax head is about the width of a man's head at the widest. In addition, the haft will be about 1 1/4", plus or minus an 1/8" near the bottom of the langets.

I would put the blade at probably just over 2 1/4" wide, with about a 1" socket, and about twice as long, as a mans head is wide.

Grab some dividers, and give it a go! :)
That is very similar (maybe the basis of) a halberd offered by Lutel (just purchased one myself).

You can find it here: http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/?p=productsMo...berd-20017

Only dimensions it provides is length (44cm) and weight (1.1kg), but you can likely discern from there. I think the socket is 1.25 inches.

If you like, I could grab a tape when I get home. Let me know.
Thanks for the input guys. Victor, if you could be bothered to measure your halberd I'd appreciate it very much.
I'll also give the head measuring technique a try.
It isn't very pretty, but I took a picture of my halberd head and used the paint program to enter in some of the more pertinent dimensions. Hope this helps!

Edit: Still haven't learned the secret of getting the pictures to show when I attach (copy/paste, maybe?)...

Attachment: 73.08 KB
[ Download ]
Waldman, in Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe has some dimensions for a couple of similar pieces dating from around the middle of the fourteenth century. One is 37 cm overall with 14.2 cm of that the tip, weight 578 grams, while the other is listed as 39.5 cm long and weighs 590 grams.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: