A Shield my husband found...
In our attic...

I just wanted to get viewpoints from people other than the Consignment Shop Person who has been helping me. They assessment was:"This is purely decorative and looks to be made of plaster.. Probably from the late 60's or early 70's. Value would be somewhere around $40-$50."

Now, I am not really interested in the value, I am more interested in the history of it. I am giving this as a present to my brother-in-law who collects armory-type-things, I think it's beautiful, but can't do a thing with it.

Please leave your thoughts, I'd love to see what others who are in the hobby have to say! :)
[ Linked Image ]
that's the front
this is the back
[ Linked Image ]

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
This could be older than the sixties and possibly late 19th century. What are the dimensions?

Most of the companies doing chalkware and other types of decorative fixtures (after WWII) would generally have marked them. We can really see nothing of the back here but that is where to look for a company name if it if from the latter half of the 20th century.

This might be depicting the feats of Hercules or be of similar depictions in mythology.

Cheers

GC
I can post a bigger picture of the back, would that help? I haven't found any markings or engravings of any kind. :( After watching Antiques Roadshow, I definitely combed the back several times with my eyes and even felt around with my finger tips, nothing. - I felt like it was mythological as well, which is why when I was told it was late 60's, early 70's, I'd thought I'd see what you folks had to say!
here are the dimensions I had sent onto the Consignment Shop:

The Circumference: 58 inches
The Diameter: (Front-which protrudes in the center)- 19.5 inches
(The Back, which inverts in the center that protrudes in the front)- 19 inches

It's pretty big, at least for my little arms it is! LOL
Is it perhaps a ceiling rose/medallion? It must have gone up against something as the reverse side was clearly not meant to be displayed, and plaster is an appropriate material for such an adornment.
I can't be sure. It does have a very small (hardly visible in even larger pictures) metal loop on the back, implying, I suppose... that it can be hung from the wall (like a picture). So... I am not sure.. it seems we have quite the artist(s) here! Here is a larger picture of that back side:

[ Linked Image ] [/img]
These guys are pretty good with whatizts

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=forum

imo, it is a recreation of renaissance Italian art. The are several periods when their "rebirth" was popular. These were popular especially at the end of the 19th century.

Cheers

GC

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: