Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Viking type Q from Robert Moc Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, the sword arrived today and it is awesome. It has a fearsome presence and is a real shield splitter! As for the grip, I like it a lot. I know there isn't any historical information for or against the style of grip for this type of sword but I like the grip. I'm thinking of keeping it, historical or not. Anyway, I'll try to get some stats and in hand photos over the next couple days...
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most excellent! Again, my apologies for derailing the thread in any way about the grip - it was just a small nitpick, and I didn't mean to waste people's breath debating about the matter... Cheers!

-Gregory
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:
I'm confused by your position. If we do not know what grip coverings these swords had, then what do you mean by a more accurate grip?

My position is simple. One must use the most historical grip styles known to us in order to create accurate reconstructions. A reproduction that utilizes styles that are not aligned with the historical data, however limited it may be, immediately become hypothetical in nature. For any reproduction to remain accurate in its overall construction, it necessarily has to be made with existing evidence in mind, in every feature. If there is no information available for a certain aspect, such as a style of grip wrap, then logical reconstructions can become acceptable. But, to extrapolate and include details that no evidence exists for until hundreds of years after the sword in question was used is above and beyond the flavor of "faithful reproduction."

If Tim doesn't wish to have an accurate reproduction of this sword type, then that's fine... But he already seems to have agreed with me that the grip wrap is questionable, which I strongly think it is. Just because something may have happened in history, does not mean that it did, or that it is reasonable to assume it did based on a lack of overall evidence. If such conclusions were acceptable, then historians would have no jobs, archaeologists no need to dig and us no need to search for any truth in history.

And I want to be very clear: this is my opinion of the considerations Tim should have if, and only if, he wishes such a reproduction as this to remain faithful to the credible body of evidence. If he wants to extrapolate... So be it. No harm done. I'm coming at this from a purely, well, purist perspective, and am playing devil's advocate. I think this is a lovely sword and the grip looks great. It's a style I love! I just think that historically for a sword as early as this, it throws things off a bit.

-Gregory

I think that the point was that there's not much evidence for how handles looked like (save metallic ones that are preserved, obviously) anyway, so 'standard' leather over wood is generally guessing as well, or extrapolating from later periods, rather.

Beautiful sword, anyway, and style not so often seen in reproduction... Congratulations.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Approaching complimenting another one of your awesome commissions from
a totally different direction, my dear fellow ...

Could you please private-message me the information to contact your Financial
Advisor so I might arrange something with him / her / them in order to finance my
own future projects ?

Or perhaps there are shares of the gold mine you've discovered somewhere on
your property -- under a shed ? or beneath those lose tiles in that abandoned
basement bathroom ? -- that you MIGHT be willing to part with ?

Or maybe, by some freaky genealogical link, we're somehow related and I can
partake of a percentage of the enormous inheritance you MUST have come into ?

B-)
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I'm confused by your position. If we do not know what grip coverings these swords had, then what do you mean by a more accurate grip?

Bartek Strojek wrote:

I think that the point was that there's not much evidence for how handles looked like (save metallic ones that are preserved, obviously) anyway, so 'standard' leather over wood is generally guessing as well, or extrapolating from later periods, rather..

But we know what a lot of them looked like, even the leather ones.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=211741

Cheers! Wink
Wilhelm S.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where did you get that chape? That is exquisite.
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wilhelm S. wrote:

Robert made it. I didn't even ask for it, he just made it. With a big project like this, I usually leave the details up to the smith. I think he did an outstanding job with the scabbard as a whole! I have seen many origianl raven chapes from viking era finds and it's really cool that he decided to use that motiff.
Wilhelm S.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Wilhelm S. wrote:

Robert made it. I didn't even ask for it, he just made it. With a big project like this, I usually leave the details up to the smith. I think he did an outstanding job with the scabbard as a whole! I have seen many origianl raven chapes from viking era finds and it's really cool that he decided to use that motiff.

You have a very cool sword. That chape is to me one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.
J Helmes
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a nice sword Tim. It is difficult to make out in the pictures, but is this sword made from home made steel? I almost think I see a pattern in the fuller.

Jeff
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J Helmes wrote:
This is a nice sword Tim. It is difficult to make out in the pictures, but is this sword made from home made steel? I almost think I see a pattern in the fuller.

Jeff

Robert used some form of 19th century iron or steel for the blade I believe. He wasn't able to translate the exact name for it into english. It has a bit of a pattern, but very slight. You have to look hard to see it. Good spot! I would expect nothing less from a seasoned professional such as yourself. Razz

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Viking type Q from Robert Moc
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: