Go to page 1, 2  Next

Let's see some kettle hats!
Kettle hat, chapel de fer, eisenhut--whatever you want to call it, let's see what you've got! The closest I have for now is a WW2 Civil Defense helmet, but it's still very similar. :p
Or not. No love? :(
A friend of mine is absolutely a fan of kettle hats, here's a pic
[ Linked Image ]
I like how deep the fit on that one is! It seems like well-designed kettle hat/gorget combos are extremely effective in providing lots of glancing surfaces and minimal windows of vulnerability.
Me with my kettle hat.
i love them great movement and airflow.

Attachment: 41.71 KB
150515_171773299507052_100000231506194_526805_6732048_n.jpg

I love kettle helmets. I am working on three, may be four but my hand is just getting better after having broken it pretty bad in July but I will post them once I get them done.

I love some of the 13th and 14th century types common in Scandinavia. Has any one made any of these multiplate ones?

RPM
Here is mine, just bought it secondhand! Made by Albert Collins of Via Armorari...

[ Linked Image ]

Don't mind this bevor, it's rubbish. It's the only pic I have available at the moment. I use a proper close fitting one with this helmet now, although I prefer my sallet.
Kettle bells? Kettle of fish? Oh...wait...Yes, I have a few of those... :D

[ Linked Image ]

3 in the back are for SCA combat (have removable grilles). 2 are stainless (left and center of the rear).
I have 6, but the last one doesn't fit on the shelf with the others.
-Terry
Where did you get the stainless ones? I've been looking for a good maker for a while and turned up nothing. :confused:
One is from a maker second hand that is no longer taking commissions. The other is from Companie de Greiffenclau on Facebook . Icefalcon Armory makes SCA kettle helms in stainless steel as well. Much more expensive, but the finish is much finer. The one not shown is also stainless from White Mountain Armory, but he too I believe is taking a break from armoring.
The one in the center back that looks kind of dirty is the stainless one from Greifenclau. It's just a satin finish, where-as all of the others (even the mild steel) are polished.
Troy Greiffenclau and IceFalcon.com are the only two armorers that I am aware of still making kettle helms in stainless steel in the U.S.
-Terry
I like a lot this topic :D .They are rarer to see than sallets and barbutes.
Yeah I think there's a sort of understated elegance to them. They manage to afford a lot of protection while allowing for excellent vision and breathing. Very efficient! And surviving examples range from simple multi-piece affairs to ones that were skillfully raised from a single sheet of steel, which is really a pretty complex process!
Here's my Manning Imperial version of a French Kettle Helm from the Maceijowski Bible. Disregard the ugly sword as we didn't have any nice ones the day the photo was taken!

Attachment: 23.04 KB
ready for war.jpg

Martin Wallgren wrote:
Here is mine, just bought it secondhand! Made by Albert Collins of Via Armorari...

[ Linked Image ]

I'd love one of your style kettle helms, they're mean..Via Armorari have some really great looking stuff.
My chapeau de fer made by François L'Archevêque http://flarcheveque.com/#

Attachment: 90.08 KB
kettle hat side 2.JPG
side view

Attachment: 22.01 KB
kettle-Hat-email.jpg
front

Attachment: 23.63 KB
aretino1385 Helm.jpg

Martin Wallgren wrote:

[ Linked Image ]

And I bought it again from Martin. Just had to share some of the beautiful details of this kettle hat. I feel it is slightly transgressing in to sallet-country. I need a bevor now ...

Attachment: 59.3 KB
buckle.jpg
Buckle, all hand made.

Attachment: 85.47 KB
rivets.jpg
Rivets, hand ...riveted.

Attachment: 42.22 KB
inside.jpg
Inside of helmet, hand hammered.

Attachment: 44.97 KB
back.jpg
Back view, not to scale due to my 28mm lens.

Attachment: 32.81 KB
top.jpg
This means ... war.
Nice one, Tjarand... Now you have to start doing huskarl, so we can authenticate it some more... ;)

Since we are a high medevial infantry group, we are natural fans of kettlehats...

Attachment: 53.02 KB
flag.jpg
Planting the flag on a swedish fortress...

Attachment: 163.15 KB
41162_1565261535277_1347553454_1493118_1640773_n.jpg
1260 Bodyguard team hanging tough

Attachment: 103.87 KB
58935_149586885071945_100000619042709_281822_2132793_n.jpg
A view of my Best Armour kettlehatt, which has served me faithfully for many years.
From about 6-8 years ago.

Here's my Kettle Helm from the Maciejowski Bible.
It was made by Maximilian Bertet.
[ Linked Image ]

Attachment: 245.68 KB
[ Download ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: