Armpit Thrusting
Hello,

I used to have a reference to a 14th-century combat between some Germans and some Italians in which one side found that they couldn't damage the other because their armor was too good, so they turned to thrusting into their armpits to defeat them. Does anyone have this source available? I need it for an article I'm writing. Thanks!
It wasn't 14th century, it was the battle of Benevento, 1266. French knights couldn't defeat the German knights before they started thrusting to the armpits. I don't have any good sources, I write what I remember from Oakeshott...
Thanks, Luka. I got the period and one of the sides wrong, but at least I knew there were Germans! I appreciate the info, and I think you're right, it was mentioned in Oakshott. I'll be able to find it now. I appreciate your help.
Hi Hugh,
Oakeshott mentions it on pages 115-116 of Sword in Hand and may mention it in some of his other works.
Unfortunately, he does not seem to cite any particular chronicler or source.
I hope this helps,
Dan
Hi Dan,

I found it, thanks!
Hi Hugh,
This account of the battle of Benevento comes in a history written by a monk called Primatus at St Denys near Paris. He was contemporary with the battle and supposedly got the story from returning soldiers. Oakeshott gives details in his 'Sword in the Age of Chivalry' p.43, but Delbruck warns against believing everything in Primatus. Hope this is useful.
Neil
Neil Melville wrote:
Hi Hugh,
This account of the battle of Benevento comes in a history written by a monk called Primatus at St Denys near Paris. He was contemporary with the battle and supposedly got the story from returning soldiers. Oakeshott gives details in his 'Sword in the Age of Chivalry' p.43, but Delbruck warns against believing everything in Primatus. Hope this is useful.
Neil

Thank you.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: