interesting 19thC rapier/hybrid for investigation.
Hi All,

I've been trying to investigate this sword.
Blade is French military type c1830 with Klingenthal marks and inspectors stamps etc.
Hilt seems contemporary and I think that the blade was probobly not previously mounted prior to this hilt. I believe that it was 'made this way'.
It is extremely well made, with peened tang, good wire bound twisted grip, interesting guard and lovely pommel. Completely solid, perfectly balanced, this seems to not fit into the usual categories of 19thC fantasy 'wall hangers', reproductions of earlier types or other decorative pieces often encountered.

It has been suggested to me that it may have been commissioned for some fraternal organisation, militia, or other small group but I've not been able to pin it down.
It also seems frustratingly familiar!!!!
Some pictures below including one showing it with real rapiers and 19thC military sabres for scale.

Any thoughts appreciated.

BUMP! Come on chaps, no ideas at all?
Last BUMP.
If it is 19th century rather than 17th then its a good copy of a Swedish/Dutch type common in the thirty years war (varja/varjor). The quillons look a bit strange ending in a point rather than scrolled or dished, but the blade looks pretty genuine, a nice hybrid in any case!
Stephen Wheatley wrote:
If it is 19th century rather than 17th then its a good copy of a Swedish/Dutch type common in the thirty years war (varja/varjor).

It should be noted that the Swedish "värja" is an umbrella term that applies to a very wide range of different swords, including rapiers, side swords, smallswords, baskethilts and military cut-and-thrust swords.
Thank you chaps.
Here are the markings on the blade with a reconstruction of the missing elements.
Is this mix of rapier-esq guard and almost walloon style pierced guards familiar within these 'Varja'?

Attachment: 118.17 KB
SDC13823.JPG

Attachment: 122.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 183.71 KB
[ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: