myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Peter Johnsson Messer Video Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

That was a treat to watch. I really appreciate that you shared.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, is there a particular part of the process that you enjoy the most?
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

What about forge welding your rings? Do you think that hammering would be impossible or not aesthetically pleasing in such case? Did you weld the ring without any hammering even when using the oxy welder?

Ciao

Ciao Bruno!

With my current set up, using a propane forge specifically built for heating blades for forge welding and forging, I cannot fit a complex hilt inside. The doors are too small (I think this forge is clearly visible in the beginning of the video clip).
I also would not prefer forge welding a hilt made from modern steel like 1050, when I can get better and more reliable results using my gas torch.

It is true that it is possible to make a gas welded construction look very much like, or even exactly like a forge welded assembly. At least in some cases. But hammering is not strictly necessary for this. If you want you can leave gaps or lines like those that are typical signs of forge welding. To my experience, most customers do not like this. -There is always this worry: "Is it strong enough?" Leaving gaps or signs of the joining of parts, makes many people nervous. If they also lack the experience of seeing original swords, they think this is sloppy work.
Forging does not add anything structurally to the welding. Heat cycling does improve things, however. That is why I am careful to re-heat the welded parts several times after welding to normalize the steel.

-Hi Herbert! :-)

-Thank you Ted!

Thank you Peter. Interesting answer, as usual.

As for your work, as it ever happens, I repeat you are born in the wrong century, you should have been born in late XV century Italy, my dear renaissance friend.

Yours is just artistry pure and simple, as you share the same vision as renaissance artists. ... a rare occurrence in today's world.

Hoping to hear more from your recente discoveries about swords,. On my part, just drop me an email Isince have new data from a rare falchion and a very nice type XII to share.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was a great pleasure to finally see you at work, Peter! Also, I have to add, that since I have had the pleasure to see your smithy firsthand, it is hard to believe how deceptively simple the tools you use appear to be. It just confirms that everything is in the hands of the master, as your work is simply the best I ever had a pleasure to see.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Peter Johnsson Messer Video
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: