Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Rhinelander bastard sword, opinions? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Rhinelander bastard sword, opinions?         Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the myArmoury community has had any experience with the hanwei rhinelander KOA got in a month or so ago? I'm thinking of getting one but I'd like to know what people here think of it terms of quality and historical accuracy.

If anyone can comment on it I would be very grateful. Happy

Thanks.

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Paulo Riquelme

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Hanwei Rhinelander         Reply with quote

Hello, there is one review but it's in another forum (SBG), I don't know if I am allowed to give links to other places so contact me via PM.
In a few words its a good sword for its price but don't expect something entirely accurate or fancy made, just a Hanwei well made light cutter.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanwei Rhinelander         Reply with quote

Paulo Riquelme wrote:
Hello, there is one review but it's in another forum (SBG), I don't know if I am allowed to give links to other places so contact me via PM.
In a few words its a good sword for its price but don't expect something entirely accurate or fancy made, just a Hanwei well made light cutter.

Why would linking to another site be against our rules? Please check out our rules and you'll find we have no problem with people being given information that answers their question.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well in that case I'll do the honors...........

Click here for a review of the sword in question. Enjoy!!

Winter is coming
Paulo Riquelme

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Rhinelander         Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, here's a second review:
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic...der#p86527
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanwei Rhinelander         Reply with quote

Paulo Riquelme wrote:
Thanks Mike, here's a second review:
http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/viewtopic...der#p86527

I would take that Albion Crecy comment with a large helping of salt. Having swords from both Albion and Hanwei there really is a difference and that difference more than justifies the price difference. In fact the Crecy is one of my favorites in their line up. The bottom line is for $200 this sword seem to be a sound choice.

Winter is coming
Robert Hinds

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the links guys! They helped a lot. Happy
"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women; thus your honor will grow. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honor in wars." -Johannes Liechtenauer

"...And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one..." Luke 22:36
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you have to be careful with the "Pertinax" review. Much of his opinion about the sword is based on his perception of its POTENTIAL but it remains to be seen if its potential is achievable. This is important because he makes it clear he intends significant modifications to the sword that not everyone will be able to realize. This really makes the comparison versus the actual as shipped Crecy all conjecture, none of the work to the Rhinelander is done yet and the end result is not really going to be the product Hanwei sells, but its all presented as fait accompli.

While I have no experience with the Hanwei in question I suspect, based on its price and based on my experience with other Hanwei swords, that its a nice value as a general learning tool. I don't think the furniture on the sword looks particularly historically correct but I think it looks decent enough as a sword overall in photos.

Dave Kelly's review sums it all up nicely:

"Both sword (Hawei and Windlass in his review) can be nit picked for weaknesses and historical inconsistencies. Don't bother. Neither company worries about not getting it exact. For the price point you shouldn't either. Both of these are nice weapons for entry level collectors and light cutters."

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Rhinelander bastard sword, opinions?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic