Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kult of Athena's Coliseum Battle Axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually saw it in an antique store today...because it's apparently an antique. It was way over-priced, but it gave me a chance to look at it up close and it's just too small for what I was going for. Thanks anyway, Gregory.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah I see cheap weapons like this one at antiques faires a lot...quite saddening.

Humm how about the Hanwei danish axe? 75 bucks, 10 inch blade head.
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that's probably the next best choice, price-wise. Although I'm not sure how I feel about its shape. I would rather have one that is horizontally symmetrical. That is to say both points terminate at the same spot. Like a bigger version of the Coliseum Battle Axe, minus the spike on the back.
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Trust me, take P. Cha's advice and opt for one of these:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+Broad+Axe
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...sh+War+Axe
I've bought a lot of cheap stainless crap from years back, and now when I look at it all, I just say "What was I thinking??? What am I going to do with all this junk?" I know it's more money, but down the road I think you'll be happier with the purchase. If you don't like the shape, that can be changed if you have access to anyone with an angle grinder, belt sander, or even a file (and some elbow grease).

Gregory, stainless steel can indeed rust, despite the common notion that it can't. Lower ferrous means lower iron, so I think you mean lower chromium.

It's the chromium content that makes steel "stainless". Steel itself is an alloy of carbon and iron, but these days there are countless different kinds of steel with different amounts of trace elements in varying percentages. Reenactors and myArmoury history buffs generally look down on modern stainless steel because it's not an alloy that existed before the 1900's. It's not like all stainless is bad quality steel, just not accurate to the period. And these days, most stainless weapons on the market are coming out of China and Pakistan and are not made to function as anything but a decoration.
Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Odd that I'd never seen that Viking Broad Axe before. It would seem ideal for a fairly low price. I have never seen a Hanwei product up close an personal before. How is their quality? And thank you for sending me that link.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 06 Dec, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey Skriletz wrote:
Odd that I'd never seen that Viking Broad Axe before. It would seem ideal for a fairly low price. I have never seen a Hanwei product up close an personal before. How is their quality? And thank you for sending me that link.

We have 10 reviews of Hanwei products on our Reviews page. There are also at least a dozen informal reviews of Hanwei products in these forums. The Search function will help.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Kult of Athena's Coliseum Battle Axe
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: