Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's on your list for 2012? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm making a large seax and sceath replicating and combining two separate viking age finds. I may finish it before 2012 though. For next year I'll work on a more bling helmet, and more refining of the maillemaking process.
"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty much the same as last year:

equipement only and no ready made swords...

main thing: have a garage/workshop built at the back of the garden, electrified too.

*a prefessionnal belt grinder
*a good dust mask
*soldering torch and silver solder (shapes&scabbard parts)
*machinist wax
*black horn for grip making
*wedling course to start tackling complex hilts
*drum sanders

I might order a custom bare blade, though I have 12 waiting to be mounted.

If I was to fail resisting temptation, I would be interested in the hanwei crecy sword maybe, need further investigation.

On my looking forward to list is a second batch of hanwei tinker. There were rumors and chat about it and I hope this will happen at some point.

Cheers,

J
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: new for 2012         Reply with quote

A couple of projects/commissions in-line for 2012.
To continue with my long term Valsgarde 7 presentation a) having now sold my Ivor Lawton Valsgarde 7 helm to a fellow Wulfheodenas member, a new version of the Valsgarde 7 helm c/w gilt and garnets to crest terminals & eyebrows with period maille b) Valsgarde 7 sax 1 c/w scabbard c) Valsgarde 7 spatha which is ongoing and perhaps may be completed some time next year.

Separately from this presentation a conjectural 7thC Anglo-Saxon boar crested helm based upon elements of the known early period Anglo-Saxon helms, and which I am hoping will be complete by February

A busy year!

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have 2 Viking Swords ordered with Rob Miller for 2012:

Irish Viking Sword & Suontaka Sword

Thanks,

William
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since my sword needs are now covered (Crecy on order Big Grin ), I'm going to be getting a scabbard from DBK Custom (also on order). I'm thinking in 2012 I'd like to get a haubergeon and tabard, if I can find ones that I like.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I won't have much cash to spare for swords and weapons next year, but I am itching to do a few things in particular. The idea is to flesh out the variety in my weapons collection. I have several armor and shield projects in various stages of progress, but here's the weapons list:

Swords & Daggers:

- A bronze Type CI blank from Neil Burridge, which I will finish myself and make a scabbard for.
- An iron Naue II for an Archaic Greek impression, which I will be making myself from scratch, including scabbard.
- A modified Hanwei Norman sword/scabbard, made accurate in outward appearance c. 1200.
- A dagger c. late 13th century, made from scratch, including sheath.

Other weapons:

- A single-hand axe c. late 13th century, modified from a KoA product.
- A single-hand mace c. late 13th century, made using one of Leo Todechini's cast pieces.
- A Greek Dory spear, which I already have the head and sauroter for.
- A Medieval lance c. late 13th century, which I already have the head and shaft for.
- A bronze spear c. 1400 BCE, made with castings from Neil Burridge.
- A heavy Roman Pilum from Deepeeka, via KoA.

Hopefully I can get away with all of these projects for less than $1000, with a majority of the funds going to Neil's castings.

-Gregory
Jonah Marlow

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might place a custom order at A&A for a custom Greek dory this December but I'm not quite sure about that yet. As for a sword I am thinking about getting either an Albion Sempach or Agincourt, or some other late 14th, early 15 century sword.
Jonah Marlow
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got a Gen2 River Witham ordered... and I've reserved a place on Tritonworks waiting list for upgrades to the Gen2 and a DSA Scottish Claymore. Maybe in 2013 I'll break down and get an Albion. My recent order will be my second sword. I'm already second guessing the choice, maybe should have gone straight for the higher quality, but the die is cast........
My plans may sound quite tame in comparison to some of these responses, but believe it of not I'm looking forward to all the above.
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: new for 2012         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
A couple of projects/commissions in-line for 2012.
To continue with my long term Valsgarde 7 presentation a) having now sold my Ivor Lawton Valsgarde 7 helm to a fellow Wulfheodenas member, a new version of the Valsgarde 7 helm c/w gilt and garnets to crest terminals & eyebrows with period maille b) Valsgarde 7 sax 1 c/w scabbard c) Valsgarde 7 spatha which is ongoing and perhaps may be completed some time next year.

Separately from this presentation a conjectural 7thC Anglo-Saxon boar crested helm based upon elements of the known early period Anglo-Saxon helms, and which I am hoping will be complete by February

A busy year!

best
Dave

David, I'm honestly looking forward to seeing every one of these completed. You have really excellent taste.

Back on topic: I'm hoping my long awaited Christian Fletcher Anglo-Saxon sword is finally completed some time early next year. I'm also looking forward to picking up Paul Mortimer's book when it's available.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's on your list for 2012?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: