Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hi All, just dropping in and interested in saber info Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rick Barrett
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Hi All, just dropping in and interested in saber info         Reply with quote

Haven't posted on any forums for quite some time. For the most part because I'm a man of little words (typing) but quite often I find a lot of places online to be offensive and simply get my ire up. Have to say though this place has been a great exception and Nathan you are doing an awesome job with the forum and keeping it highly professional. Can't say I have seen hardly any trolling around here and very little in the way of blown up arguments based on little fact. It is very refreshing to have a place to go and actually learn a thing or two and share in a friendly atmostphere. Still feel a little out of place though since my expertise lies in the curvy Japanese and non-historical stuff, but again that offers the opportunity to learn about swords I am less familiar with.

I've actually been itching to do a somewhat historic saber or two and would love to get more info if anyone around here wants to share. I have a few billets started up for some persian pieces (based on a few originals I was able to study) but wouldn't mind hearing more about European styles.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Rick, it's great to hear from you!

I for one would love to expand our exposure of Japanese, and Asian weapons. So please feel free to post anything you like.

BTW, I need to talk to you about that long overdue sabre review, so could you send me an e-mail so I'm sure that I have your current one?

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chris Holzman

PostPosted: Sun 17 Oct, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi All, just dropping in and interested in saber info         Reply with quote

Rick Barrett wrote:
Haven't posted on any forums for quite some time. For the most part because I'm a man of little words (typing) but quite often I find a lot of places online to be offensive and simply get my ire up. Have to say though this place has been a great exception and Nathan you are doing an awesome job with the forum and keeping it highly professional. Can't say I have seen hardly any trolling around here and very little in the way of blown up arguments based on little fact. It is very refreshing to have a place to go and actually learn a thing or two and share in a friendly atmostphere. Still feel a little out of place though since my expertise lies in the curvy Japanese and non-historical stuff, but again that offers the opportunity to learn about swords I am less familiar with.

I've actually been itching to do a somewhat historic saber or two and would love to get more info if anyone around here wants to share. I have a few billets started up for some persian pieces (based on a few originals I was able to study) but wouldn't mind hearing more about European styles.

Hi Rick,

You might want to shoot Russ Mitchell a PM, and i'll point this thread out to him. Russ has a considerable amount of sabre experience, and is part of a living tradition of Hungarian military sabre.

I'm in a living tradition of Italian-Hungarian duelling sabre as well.

I would strongly suggest looking at things like Polish karabela and such - light, fast weapons with a ton of room for artistic expression - also hungarian lawyers sabres - very ornate and pretty, and very nasty weapons. I know Russ has a picture or two of them, but not sure if any are digitized.

Another possibility that you might be comfortable with would be something along the lines of Caucausian shashqa. Check out http://www.russianswords.com for some real eyecandy.

Is there any specific sorts of sabres you'd want to do?
there is a total lack of quality US civil war sabres, especially the fancy officers models, and contrary to popular belief in civil-war circles, they had the capability to be wonderful weapons when properly used.
Napoleonic sabres are uncommon as well.
Hungarian and Polish sabres are probably some of the best, and most interesting designs, especially the Turkic derived Hungarian blades with raised false edges, and such.

hope this helps,
chris

Chris Holzman
River City Fencing Club
Wichita, KS

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hi All, just dropping in and interested in saber info
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic