"Arthurian" helm-- can anyone ID it?
Dear all,

I found my self on Britannia's website (Arthurian reenactors) the other day and found a pic of this helm. What can I say? I like it-- alot. My first guess would be that it is a custom job, but I wondered if anyone here had seen it's like before in some armourers website. If you have, I would appreciate knowing who made this.

Incidentally, since I lifted it from their site, you can visit Britannia at: www.durolitum.co.uk

They have some good photos, particularly in their main area of interest.

Thanks in advance for your help,

David

Attachment: 32.87 KB
closeup.jpg

That looks like Dan Shadrake himself, head honcho of that group. Why not mail him and ask?
Hi Björn,

Good thought-- I imagine there will be a contact address on their webpage.

Cheers,

David
David,

Sorry a bit late with this........

Perhaps you have found out about this helmet already,but just in case you haven't............It is a 4th century Roman 'ridge' helmet based on the Berkasovo helmet or possibly the Burgh Castle helmet.By the looks of it ,it is a bit of both,but basically the Berkasovo(Yugoslavia),helmet. Unfortunately,I cannot tell you who made it though. I have made helmets for Brittania in the past,but that is not one of them.The last one that I made was made for Harlow museum for use in one of the ' Time Team' programmes. Nice helmets aren't they, they are usually quite heavy though !

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

Russ
Russ Thomas wrote:
Quote:
Sorry a bit late with this........

Perhaps you have found out about this helmet already,but just in case you haven't............It is a 4th century Roman 'ridge' helmet based on the Berkasovo helmet or possibly the Burgh Castle helmet.By the looks of it ,it is a bit of both,but basically the Berkasovo(Yugoslavia),helmet. Unfortunately,I cannot tell you who made it though. I have made helmets for Brittania in the past,but that is not one of them.The last one that I made was made for Harlow museum for use in one of the ' Time Team' programmes. Nice helmets aren't they, they are usually quite heavy though !

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm familiar with the type of helm (i.e. cavalry "ridge helm"), but I didn't know the originals that inspired it... that will give me some space to investigate further. Again, thanks!

I haven't heard back from them on the maker, I may try again in case the e-mail got lost in the laundry (so to speak).

Good to see the web link below your post-- I don't think I've seen your site yet. Out of interest, are you from the UK originally, or Norway? I've learned that English sounding names don't necessarily denote a British origin. :) My wife is from Bergen so I've managed to cultivate a deep love for Norway.

Anyway, Cheers!

David
Hello David,

I know exactly what you mean about English sounding names over here ! :) There are loads of them.I am actually from England originally and have been here a few years now.I love the country too,it is a great place.I was up in Bergen a few weeks ago for the first time for a market. and will definately be going there again.If you are ever anywhere near Kristiansand...............

I am making an copy of the Burgh Castle helmet at the moment and also an infantry ridge helmet of the type found at Intercissa in Hungary.Most of the armour that I produce is usually either Viking or medieval,however,I love making Roman armour,and these pieces are being made just for fun, but will appear on the website when completed.I have to get back in the habit of making Roman equipment :)

The website is not finished yet (are they ever ? :confused: ),but hopefully ,you will find it interesting and informative.

Med vennlig hilsen,

Russ
Hi Russ,

If ever I find myself near Kristiansand I will be sure to look you up. We're normally in Bergen around May 17th-- so if you find yourself around there at that time, drop me a line and perhaps we can connect.

It was great to be able to check out your webpage-- the tutorial section is a great idea, and while all the armour I saw was great, the piece you did for Madame Tussaud's in Amsterdam was absolutely stunning! I hope you don't mind my posting it below as a "showcase" of your work.

I look forward to seeing the ridge helms when you post them-- while I lean towards the more Northern European styles myself (iron age through to medieval), the Romano-British idea does something for me as well.

Cheers,

David

Attachment: 65.7 KB
woo1.jpg

Wow Russ , what David said about the suit for the wax museum . Thats truely stunning !

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: