river found sword
http://tvzvezda.ru/news/russia/content/201111231844-cnt7.htm

The sword which hypothetically was owned by prince Svetoslav was found in river Dnieper (Ukrane).
Great find!
Thanks for posting. Really like the pommel on that find.
Eugeny,

Yes, It is a beautifully appointed sword and amazingly well preserved for being in a river for a thousand years more or less. I was interested to see the videos but could you please give those of us who don't speak Russian a brief summary and a little background on the hypothetical owner of the sword.
Ken Speed wrote:
Eugeny,

Yes, It is a beautifully appointed sword and amazingly well preserved for being in a river for a thousand years more or less. I was interested to see the videos but could you please give those of us who don't speak Russian a brief summary and a little background on the hypothetical owner of the sword.

Hi, Ken, the hypothetical owner of sword is Great Prince of Kiev Svetoslav (942-972), according to the legend Svetoslav had been killed in fight with nomads right near the place where the sword was found. Some russian historians consider Svetoslav as one of the great troop leader of ancient Kiev's Russia. He fought in war with nomads (Pechenegs) and Byzantine Empire once besieged Constantinople. His mother princess Olga was christian but Svetoslav himself remained the heathen to preserve the respect of his troops.
The sword was fished out by fisherman from Dnieper river by spinning rod and wobbler ;) .
Eugeny,

Thank you for the information.

When you wrote, " The sword was fished out by fisherman from Dnieper river by spinning rod and wobbler ;" I couldn't help but think that must have truly been the catch of the day!
Very interesting find. THanks for posting.

Wikipedia entry on the former owner for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatoslav_I_of_Kiev
Ken Speed wrote:
Eugeny,

Thank you for the information.

When you wrote, " The sword was fished out by fisherman from Dnieper river by spinning rod and wobbler ;" I couldn't help but think that must have truly been the catch of the day!

If I had caught something like that I would poop myself!
River-found sword
I found many images of Prince Svyatoslav's sword and here's some of them
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
The blade shown in the video seems to have a composite steel structure (not really sure about it, as the video qualité is not very good). Any infos about this ?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: