Crest and mantle
Here is another project that I have finished within the past year. Again it is for my friend Dominic Sewell in England.

The stag head is carved out of balsa wood, and hollowed, and to increase the durability of the form it is coated with a linen and glue combination, then painted.

The antlers are carved out of poplar wood and gilded. The crescent is removable and is constructed from two halves of copper with repoussed lettering. It was then silver plated and the stem has alternating gold and silver facets.

The initial mantle that is pictured was too small so I had to enlarge it to match the images a bit better in Rene's Tournament Books

-Josh
[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Josh Davis on Fri 18 Nov, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
O.O That is *beautiful!* Great work!
I really like this. Great bit of woodcarving. And, like most contemporary depictions of animals, it has that naive (almost cartoon-like) look that is so typical in medieval bestiaries, marginals etc. There is a tendancy when making things like this to make them look too much like 19thC 'naturalistic' carvings/sculptures, which may appeal to more modern taste but is not a reflection of how these animals were depicted at the time. Well done.

Julian
This is great! I love the purple tongue! Thanks for posting it.
I am completely new to this kind of thing. I think this work is great. You alway see things like this in books or museums, and I always wondered how they made them. Thank you for sharing this. Very cool.
Crest and Mantle
Amazing work ...
That will be one happy Brit across the pond .
Best
Tim
That's pretty darn cool!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: