Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical blunt arrowheads Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Historical blunt arrowheads         Reply with quote

I have started making some arrows, for some leisurley shooting at my own backyard archery range and at events. And shooting blunts are fun, you can put your favourite helmet on a stake and shoot at it and both the helmet and the arrows will sruvive!

At the moment I have some rubber blunts of various size and weight, but thought I would take it to another level.
I would however quite like to make a couple of blunts with more historically appropriate blunt heads, and was wondering what I could use?

What type of blunts where in use historically? Does anyone have any examples, litterature recommendations?
I know that Todstuff http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/theenglishcutler/g...blunts.htm have some beautiful reproduction horn blunts for sale, and I will eventually get some of those, but do we have other examples?

If this turns out to be a huge topic, let's say my focus is North-of-the-alps Europe from the Migration period to the 16th century.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Chris Cole

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Historical blunt arrowheads         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
I have started making some arrows, for some leisurley shooting at my own backyard archery range and at events. And shooting blunts are fun, you can put your favourite helmet on a stake and shoot at it and both the helmet and the arrows will sruvive!

At the moment I have some rubber blunts of various size and weight, but thought I would take it to another level.
I would however quite like to make a couple of blunts with more historically appropriate blunt heads, and was wondering what I could use?

What type of blunts where in use historically? Does anyone have any examples, litterature recommendations?
I know that Todstuff http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/theenglishcutler/g...blunts.htm have some beautiful reproduction horn blunts for sale, and I will eventually get some of those, but do we have other examples?

If this turns out to be a huge topic, let's say my focus is North-of-the-alps Europe from the Migration period to the 16th century.

primativearcher.com and paleoplanet.com will have just what you need .
Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, primitivearchery had a sticky for blunts. mostly modern made using shell casings and hex nuts, but it's a start!
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always forget my sources, but I have seen period illustrations (15th century I think) of arrows with a cloth padding on them. Just like the ones in the attachment (taken from gambeson.pl).

Attachment: 96.11 KB
184.jpg

Bjorn Hagstrom

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That was interesting, kind of the 14th century cloth button on a stick!

Since squirrel-fur seem to have been a major export from Scandinavia, and supposdly other luxury furs such as ermine and marten as well (i guess martens where trapped rather than shot) well, there should be some evidence of this. I know squirrelshooting with crossbows is mentioned in period documents (Erikskrönikan)

For birds or rabbits I guess that the hardness of the blunt is not much of an issue, but for a small animal where you want the valuable skin intact (like small mustelidaes) a softer/rounder/larger point is preferrable

I will check the image database of historiska this weekend and see what I come up with there as well.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical blunt arrowheads
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic