Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with a war sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Ricardo S.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help with a war sword.         Reply with quote

Cornelis Tromp wrote:

HI,
it is indeed sold by Hessink for Euro 28960, -

This auctionhouse has gone bankrupt in february last year!

Euro 28960,- is a lot of money, I would like to advise the owner to have all the metal to be tested for authenticity, and if necessary also have the patina tested. Take the sword to a reliable well known auction house (Thomas del Mar, Bonhams) and remove the later grip and see what is under it.

There are three possibilities:

1. The sword is authentic with 19th century decoration; roping, pommel plates and tang knob.

2. The sword is a forgery.(made from old steel?)

3. The sword is authentic.

In my humble opinion 3 is the least likely, but that you have never seen it means nothing unless you have seen them all, those hundreds of thousands of swords (Oakeshott)

I leave all three options open.

best,

Quite interesting Mr. Tromp. Thank you. Indeed its a lot of money. I don't know why, but now thinking about what you mention, I am biased to believe the hypothesis of an authentic sword with a recent decoration. But having in mind what i've learn from the valuable information brought to this topic, i don't think that sword could be entirely authentic.

Ps: wow, it's a surprise Hessink has gone bankrupt. wow!

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

My website:
http://songsha8.wix.com/ricardoartesao
Jose Santiago-Cummings

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a period in the art history/movement of the late 1800's Germany called Historimus and basically the went back to reproduce a lot of medieval style weapons and armor. Could be a possibility.
Have you try www.hermanhistorica.de , they are a reputable house, i have bought from them in the past. you can access their online catalogs and archives.

SI DEUS PRO NOBIS QUIS CONTRA NOS
Ricardo S.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jose Santiago-Cummings wrote:
There is a period in the art history/movement of the late 1800's Germany called Historimus and basically the went back to reproduce a lot of medieval style weapons and armor. Could be a possibility.
Have you try www.hermanhistorica.de , they are a reputable house, i have bought from them in the past. you can access their online catalogs and archives.

This is correct Mr. Cummings. Thank you. The auction house Czerny's (www.czernys.com/) sells some swords of that period. But i don't think the sword in question could be from Historismus period. In general, "medieval" swords from historismus don't have this look (at least the ones i have seen). But, everything is possible. About Hermann Historica, i have "discovery" them about five years ago. I believe that website is a paradise to us who love weapons. And i am happy for you who are able buy from them, for i cant. It's a dream that i hope to make real some day.

Take care.

My website:
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Tue 29 Nov, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as the sword's concerned, the 3rd picture provided really did it in for me. The very narrow, delicate twisted wire is all wrong. Twisting designs in of themselves (on swords anyway) were a later design, and the very narow twisted wire in such a useage is a rennaisance development, if I remember correctly.

In any case, this thing isn't from 1300.

BTW, I wouldn't base it on the heraldric designs alone. Many people used the Eagle or a Fleur-de-lis as a charge in their Coat of Arms. It may represent family allegiance rather than that to a King or Emperor.

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Ricardo S.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
As far as the sword's concerned, the 3rd picture provided really did it in for me. The very narrow, delicate twisted wire is all wrong. Twisting designs in of themselves (on swords anyway) were a later design, and the very narow twisted wire in such a useage is a rennaisance development, if I remember correctly.

In any case, this thing isn't from 1300.

BTW, I wouldn't base it on the heraldric designs alone. Many people used the Eagle or a Fleur-de-lis as a charge in their Coat of Arms. It may represent family allegiance rather than that to a King or Emperor.

Nice information Mr. Quarantillo. Thank you. Do you what to share your sources, i cant find reliable ones to read... Indeed we agree that decoration is recent, but could not the sword be from an earlier date than decoration?

Take care.

My website:

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with a war sword.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: