Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Please help ID cup hilt rapier. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dave Hunzicker

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Please help ID cup hilt rapier.         Reply with quote

I recently purchased two cup hilt rapiers at auction and just received them yesterday. They were advertised as being from the 1600s. I realize the pictures I've attached are less than perfect, but I would really appreciate any opinions, specifically regarding their authenticity. I am particularly concerned about the one with the wider blade.

The one with the wider blade and embossed cup is 49.5 inches long and 1040 grams with an unmarked blade. There are screw holes on the guard that do not connect to the cup, so it is clear that the parts were not originally together. The two ends of the crossbar are also slightly different, as if one side was repaired/replaced. There also seem to be file marks on the guard near where parts meet, and some discoloration there as well. I am curious how old these repairs might be, and if all the parts seem contemporary. (first 4 pics)

The narrow bladed sword with loose wire wrap is 44 inches long and 750 grams. The blade is marked XX HEINRICH X BRABENDER X SOLINGEN XX on one side, and XX HEINRICH X BRABENDER X MEFECIT XX on the other. To my untrained eye, it appears that all the parts belong together on this one, but I would greatly value your opinions. (last 4 pics)

Thank you all very much for your help,
-Dave

Attachment: 213.95 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 210.83 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 208.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 239.39 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 211.06 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 174.87 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 196.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 221.02 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Please help ID cup hilt rapier.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic