Atrim for Fiore?
Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase an Atrim for cutting and solo drills in the style of Fiore and I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. I am looking for a longish, thrust biased sword.

Thanks for any info!

Matthew
I like my Atrim XIIa.2, which I have found handles similar to my VA ATrim I-Beam. There are other ATrim models which would be more approperiate to the early 15th century, but I have found this blade to be extremely fast and nimble, more so than other longswords I have owned. It's very lightweight, yet has excellent blade presence. It glides effortlessly though the poste and cuts well from any position. The blade taper is fairly acute, making it do well in the thrust as well. All in all, it's a well rounded sword for Fiore.

The only downside for someone might be the wheel pommel, if they are more accustomed to a scent-stopper, lozenge, or other tapered shape. But, this is something of entirely personal preference. I did not like using a wheel pommel on a longsword at first either, but I quickly adapted to it and now it does not even cross my mind, as long as the sword is well-balanced. :)
Atrim for Fiore
Hi Matthew

I know you have said you wanted an Atrim but have you looked at the A&A Spada da Zogho?

I have recently purchased on for Fiore based WMA and find it to be very responsive and very fluid through the poste and outstanding in blade contact drills

Price is probably a little higher but I've certainly considered it worth it

cheers

mike
I asked Gus about his thoughts on this and he said the best Fiore sword he is making right now is the XVIa.3. Gus has studied Fiore too so I trust his judgement
Thank you for the reply's,

Mike, Thank you for the suggestion and when I need a new sparring simulator I will definitely look into A&A but right now I am looking into sharps. : )

Sarge, It sounds like that XIIa.2 handles well for you, and I am actually a fan of the wheel pommel, I think it helps my edge alignment. But I am looking for something that more closely resembles the XVa style shown in the treatise.

Tom, thank you for asking Angus, I had no idea he studied Fiore! I will Email you over at Tried and True and we can get this off the ground.

Cheers,
Matthew

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: