Early period scabbard suspensions.
What kind of scabbard and suspensions were used in the early half of the 13th century to the Norman conquest?
I know that's a rather big time frame, but I simply don't have much familiarity with the period's sword and suspensions.
Pictures please!
Nathan,

The scabbards used for most swords across Europe throughout a majority of the 13th century had the typical tied-belt suspension, much like a lot of the reproductions you'll see around here had. As far as we know, based on surviving scabbards, there was very little decoration either on the scabbards or suspension belts at this time.

Attached are images of two Spanish scabbards, with dates and owners tagged in the image script. These are better surviving examples, but are later than what you're curious about. The main difference you'd expect earlier in the century is simpler sorts of belt suspension, possibly just looping and stitching two separate belt components in either direction, without any of the fancy tying, etc.

Since I'm pretty sure you're into German stuff... This site will probably be your go-to for a lot of questions like this, pictorially!

http://www.brandenburg1260.de/ruestungen.html

Cheers!

-Gregory

Attachment: 21.51 KB
sword_of_king_sancho_iv_of_castile__circa_1298._169.jpg

Attachment: 58.35 KB
[ Download ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: