Scabbard for a Patrick Barta Type X sword
Hello myArmoury community,

I would like to share a recently completed scabbard I made for a customer. The sword is a Patrick Barta Type X. The chape, locket and belt fittings were provided with the commission.

The slide or 'strap bridge' is made of antler, just the same as the grip of the sword. Everything is hand-tooled, and hand-made. The colors are an aged saddle-tan with cordovan suspension.

Please feel free to comment and or ask any questions you may have!

Thanks for looking. These pictures may be viewed larger on my website.

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
I love it! Great work. What is the handle material?
Nice work Brian. :cool:
Very nice work Brian.

Sometimes the little details are what catch your eye and make something....right..... While there are tons of things to like about this scabbard and belt assembly the fact that the suspension system is laced rather than buckled makes it feel very realistic. I think you were very clever in tooling the scabbard; while the pattern looks Viking inspired it gives the sense of being more recent than the Viking era which is, I think, quite appropriate for the sword.

The bridge is great and must have been quite a challenge. I've never worked bone or antler but I have a sneaky feeling that I'll be happier if I keep it that way!
... this is one of those times where I think the elaborate workmanship of the scabbard
compliments what we can see of the blade's detailed hilt / grip / pommel .... As always,
BK, your masterful creativity is eye-catching to say the least. B-)
I'm very excited to receive this! I can finally say that my Barta has a worthy home. As always, Brian has done a tremendous job on this scabbard. I'm sure I'll love it even more when it's in hand! Thanks for the great work Brian!!!
Stunning work as always Brian.
Looks amazing!

Can we also see what it looks like when worn on the hip?
Well, as usual words sort of fail to do justice to the quality of the work in both design and execution.

I also agree that this is a case where a highly decorated scabbard is what is needed to match the aesthetics of the sword.
Incredible! Nice colors, great choices on tooling. It goes on and on...! :surprised: :D

What else can i say?

Oh, how does the sword feel in the hand? i assume you might have swung it just maybe once or twice in the process....
Matthew Stagmer wrote:
I love it! Great work. What is the handle material?

Thanks. The handle is antler from a stag.

William Swiger wrote:
Nice work Brian. :cool:

Thank you.

Ken Speed wrote:
Very nice work Brian.

Sometimes the little details are what catch your eye and make something....right..... While there are tons of things to like about this scabbard and belt assembly the fact that the suspension system is laced rather than buckled makes it feel very realistic. I think you were very clever in tooling the scabbard; while the pattern looks Viking inspired it gives the sense of being more recent than the Viking era which is, I think, quite appropriate for the sword.

The bridge is great and must have been quite a challenge. I've never worked bone or antler but I have a sneaky feeling that I'll be happier if I keep it that way!

Thanks! Antler is challenging. Much more so than wood, but ultimately it isn't too bad. It's finding antler that hasn't been shed so it isn't in the process of breaking down, and then finding a part of the antler that is straight.

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
... this is one of those times where I think the elaborate workmanship of the scabbard
compliments what we can see of the blade's detailed hilt / grip / pommel .... As always,
BK, your masterful creativity is eye-catching to say the least. B-)

Thank you very much.

Tim Lison wrote:
I'm very excited to receive this! I can finally say that my Barta has a worthy home. As always, Brian has done a tremendous job on this scabbard. I'm sure I'll love it even more when it's in hand! Thanks for the great work Brian!!!

You're welcome Tim. Thank you for your patronage.

Matt Corbin wrote:
Stunning work as always Brian.

Thank you Matt.

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Looks amazing!

Can we also see what it looks like when worn on the hip?

Unfortunately, I've already shipped this one. So further photography is unavailable. Perhaps Tim will be so kind upon receipt. :D

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, as usual words sort of fail to do justice to the quality of the work in both design and execution.

I also agree that this is a case where a highly decorated scabbard is what is needed to match the aesthetics of the sword.

Thank you Jean.

Justin H. Núñez wrote:
Incredible! Nice colors, great choices on tooling. It goes on and on...! :surprised: :D

What else can i say?

Oh, how does the sword feel in the hand? i assume you might have swung it just maybe once or twice in the process....

Thanks!

It felt pretty good. Particularly the hilt. The antler grip was very well done and did not seem to hinder. The sword as a whole was decent though.
Lovely work as ever Brian, fantastically crisp and detailed.

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Lovely work as ever Brian, fantastically crisp and detailed.

Tod

Thanks Tod. I appreciate the compliments.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: