paired butterfly swords
These were an interesting project.
I was approached by a customer who wanted to make a butterfly sword on one of my sword classes , and for me to make a matching partner so he had paired swords for practicing his Chinese martial arts. quite a challenging prospect on his part and trixy on mine making a matching piece to someone else's original...

here is tim contemplating Bashing his not too diminutive blade, 6.5mm at the tang going to 1.2 at the tip lots of bashing...
[ Linked Image ]

and grinding on the 5 hp grinder...
[ Linked Image ]

a bit more polish
[ Linked Image ]

my class including the eminent and glamourous assistant
[ Linked Image ]

5 of the class swords prior to peining and final clean up...
[ Linked Image ]

Tim left his knife with me and I made up a matching twin , the knives (or swords) are fast and well balanced , they are blunt which is a shame as I would have liked to cut with one ...however they are for martial arts practice and the last thing you want whirling around your head is sharp steel....
thanks Tim for your custom and hard work!!

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Re: paired butterfly swords
Owen Bush wrote:

my class including the eminent and glamourous assistant
[ Linked Image ]

Hey Owen,

It's great to see what another group of students came up with so thanks for uploading those pictures (that black and white cow skin will become trademark :) )

For those who might not be able to recognize the "glamourous assistant" it is none other than Jake Powning himself (standing on Owen's left). I'm quiet envious of these guys as they got directions from two master bladesmiths for the price of one :)

Cheers and looking forward for some workshop time.

J

PS: the sword on far right has a blackened hilt and knobbed quillons. was this guard and pommel made during the class?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: