Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mysticism in WMA Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Renico wrote:
Hugh Knight wrote:
someone will be wounded ... "mystical nonsense"... "mumbo jumbo" ... It *is* nonsense.. meaningless mumbo jumbo... that just isn't open to debate.

Um... okay. Happy

Your Honor, the Defense rests. (sigh)

So, in other words, you *do* believe that you can tell when someone will be wounded by his name and the time fo day, is that right?

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Hugh,

All I am trying to do is ask you to quit imposing your religious beliefs onto medieval people and to use them denigrate living beliefs because they don't jell with your own. We can disagree with the former, the latter is just courtesy - the original poster himself indicated that my concerns were correct. When you are lumping in Buddhism as Buddhist beliefs you know little about as 'mumbo jumbo we should all be scornful of', then that *is* beyond the discussion of the thread.

You won't address the points I made because it is "too far afield". Well, my point was that editorializing that a belief in the supernatural, be that astrology or God, is the trope of fools and rubes, and insisting that we have an obligation to protect WMA from belief is *too far afield* for this thread and this forum. I'm not flaming you, I'm asking you not to be needlessly inflammatory.

Greg

Again, I have not and will not talk about any modern beliefs, both to avoid hurting anyone's feelings and because it's not relevent to this discussion. I do this not because you request it, but because this isn't the place.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
Again, I have not and will not talk about any modern beliefs, both to avoid hurting anyone's feelings and because it's not relevent to this discussion. I do this not because you request it, but because this isn't the place.

It's also not the place for you to debate the merits or validity of the beliefs of others, regardless if the beliefs are grounded in the past or in the present. Talking about the "Mysticism in WMA" is quite a different topic than where you have taken this one. You will get back on topic or you will stop participating.

Consider this a moderator's notice and any further comment regarding these instructions can be directed to me privately. Having said that, let me state clearly that my expectation is that you will back off and the others participating here will return to the topic.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

Circling back, I'd recommend reading Ramon Lull's chivalric treatise for one view of how intertwined faith and the chivalric arts are. I recognize this isn't exactly like the EMA equivalent you're likely thinking of, but it should be illuminating nonetheless.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Adam Bodorics
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of prayers, do we have actual sources about their wording? More precisely, was there any that has resemblances with invocatory ritual texts? I don't mean the simple "cliche" variant of "XY lend me your power to do whatever" often seen in literature, I mean the more or less standard structure of invocations used by those people in other fields. If there's evidence of such prayers, then we have a bit more direct connection of "mysticism" and WMA. Without any hard proof and based only on logic (which tends to fail when applied to medieval people) the existence of such prayers is likely, as invocation rituals have a strong psychological effect on the operator, and it would be in line with the practices of "civilians" of the time.
To the less direct connections, I think it would be wise to remember the number of "sacred" images, texts and mottoes on both arms and armour, both of that time, and later on. Given that there were non-religiously decorated pieces as well, and the religiously decorated pieces are present in every level of quality, I think it's clear that they were put there because their owners believed in them - non-religious decor wasn't frowned upon, so it's not because they had to go with the flow. IIRC there even were relic-holders on some swords, and possibly even on some breastplates - I might remember totally wrong though, Christian stuff isn't exactly my forte.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

I can't speak to prayer wording, though you've certainly piqued my curiosity. I'll see if I can dig something up here...

As for decoration, note how the large dueling shields seen in various German manuscripts almost invariably have crosses painted on them. Certainly, this is not the heraldry of either combatant. Of course, if both combatants bear the cross, it begs the question of what benefit it had...

Best regards,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Circling back, I'd recommend reading Ramon Lull's chivalric treatise for one view of how intertwined faith and the chivalric arts are. I recognize this isn't exactly like the EMA equivalent you're likely thinking of, but it should be illuminating nonetheless.

Cheers,

Christian

I'll second this. It really is a great read.

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:

My anthrpology career is now many years in my past so bear with me if I get some of this wrong. You normally see "magic" among people who have little actual control over their situration. For example, baseball pitchers often have a ritual of how they dress for a game, wear lucky socks, etc., because regardless of their skill and their performace in a game they can still give up a number of home-runs. Even if a pitcher could throw a 120 mile-per-hour pitch the batter could sill hit it for a home run. The pitcher loses all control once the ball leaves his hand. On the other hand, outfielders almost never engage in any rituals or lucky charms since they have much more control over their situation, ie their performace is tied directly to their skill. I think a highly skilled knight who faced a duel the next day would probably pray some during the night. I think pikemen facing cannon fire and gun fire the next day would pray, doe rituals, wear lucky charms, etc. Standing in a formation you have little control over what comes your way. Magic is an attempt to control the uncontrollable. Remember the old joke from WWII, soldiers didn't fear the bullet with their name on it, they feared the bullet marked "To whom it might concern...". I hope that makes sense.

Ran

Yes, makes perfect sense to me. I think we're more or less on the same page, just looking at it from different angles.

As for the rest of the discussion going on, I am finding it most interesting and educational. In the last few weeks I've been feeling like I need to learn more about the actual culture and mindset of the ancients (due to the listening of Chivalry Today's podcasts, which highlighted the fact that I really know nothing on the subject), and a couple days ago started reading through Thalhoffer's Fight Earnestly. College classes are interfering, but I shall soon finish it. Wink

"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear all,

Here's a link to one of my favorite 15th c. manuscripts:

http://www.ubs.sbg.ac.at/sosa/handschriften/MIII36.htm

It's a German work on the the seven planets, the seven liberal arts, and the general medieval cosmological scheme. Several points worth noting:

1. The manuscript, dating from the mid-15th century, is reminiscent in style and presentation to some of our surviving fight books.

2. It presents a holistic view of how the world was viewed, and how that world's knowledge was taught.

3. The seven planets, along with their associations with zodical signs, the ages of man, and the canonical hours, are presented, in order from Heaven downward.

4. Bits of verse, common to Planetenkinder (Children of the Planets) lore accompany each image, describing that planet's nature, and therefore the nature of those born under its influence.

5. Following this, the Seven Liberal Arts are represented, reversing the order, now moving from lowest to highest.

6. The liberal arts images show a wheel being constructed for the first three plates, which describe the Trivium - the studies of Grammar, Rhetoric, and Logic. Once that foundation of learning is established, that wheel constructed, we move to...

7. The presentation of the Quadrivium - the 'external' sciences of Arithmetic, Geometry, Music, and Astronomy.

8. The Quadrivium is comprised essentially of permutations of the study of 'number': Arithmetic is the study of pure number, Geometry the study of numbers in space, Music the study of numbers in time, and Astronomy the study of number in time and space (aka, the 'music of the spheres').

9. The image that follows, on f. 8r, is most fascinating. The whole scheme of learning appears here. The ladies representing the Quadrivium support the completed wheels of a cart, drawn by three ladies representing the Trivium (all are labeled). The cart bears Sacred Theology, and is spurred on by the famous Scholastic Master Peter Lombard, who represents Philosophy.

10. Thus we see the whole progression: You study the Trivium so you can study the Quadrivium; you study that so you can study Philosophy and then Theology. Or, put another way: you can't learn about God without learning philosophy; you can't learn that unless you understand the physical world; and you can't understand that unless you understand yourself and your interactions with your fellow man.

11. The last page ties all that together with the physical arrangement of Creation. With the great Doctor of the Church Albertus Magnus instructing us below, we see the sphere of Earth, surrounded progressively by the those of Water, Air, and Fire, then by those of the seven planets (each associated, btw, with one of the seven liberal arts), then finally the sphere of heaven, with the four winds blowing in from their respective directions. Heavenly power emanates from above/without to below/within, and in turn learning via the Scholastic approach takes us from Earth to God.

What's this all mean to fencing? Well, this was the paradigm of the world they lived in, and much of this lore accompanies and/or parallels the manuscript tradition from which we derive our historic fencing techniques.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

James Head

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christian. I'm glad you elaborated on the heavy religious tone found in Talhoffer's works (in comparison to other masters and manuals). I had often thought the same thing, but you compiled the examples in a much better manner.

Also, since we have been throwing out the names of specific medieval personalities, I wanted to take a moment and 'stick up' for Chaucer. It is common for modern readers to paint him as some closet sceptic and Atheist. But they all seem to forget that The Parson's Tale is the closing narrative of Canterbury tales and that Chaucer's counterpoints to religious corruption are often strikingly similar to Wycliff and Lollardy. Taking the entire body of Chaucer's work into account, it becomes far more likely that he was a closet Lollard than a closet Atheist.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Exactly James - bemoaning the church's corruption hardly makes one an atheist.

And, really, Chaucer has a poke in the eye for just about everyone in the Tales - including likely himself.

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

...bemoaning the church's corruption hardly makes one an atheist.

Very true! Few know the corruption in the history of the Chruch as well as the faithful of the Chruch. Many college students have napped during courses at Catholic universities but few students do so during courses on chruch history out of fear of missing the "good stuff"! Big Grin

Ran Pleasant
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As for decoration, note how the large dueling shields seen in various German manuscripts almost invariably have crosses painted on them. Certainly, this is not the heraldry of either combatant. Of course, if both combatants bear the cross, it begs the question of what benefit it had...

Maybe it's too obvious, but I guess that it might mean that both parties appealed to, and subjected themselves to the will of God. And thus to the rightfulness of the judicial duel.

The Cross symbolizes Faith, after all...

And thanks for linking to that manuscript. Very interesting!
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
...bemoaning the church's corruption hardly makes one an atheist.

Very true! Few know the corruption in the history of the Chruch as well as the faithful of the Chruch. Many college students have napped during courses at Catholic universities but few students do so during courses on chruch history out of fear of missing the "good stuff"! Big Grin

Ran Pleasant

Very true, and if bemoaning corruption required one to be an atheist, then poor Martin Luther was really confused! Wink

@James - the Chaucer/Lollard connection is actually quite apt. But so too, is the fact that much like Boccaccio and his Decammeron, Chaucer is living in a post-plague world, and the changes that wrought in many areas, including a more open critique of the Church as an institution from the Church as the Christian faith, was pronounced.

The reason I've harped on the term "natural magic" here, however, is that it is really important that people remember that the way we draw distinctions between science, occultism and mysticism is not necessarily the medieval one. Astrology is a part of astronomy and not only tolerated but condoned by the Church until it is used for fortune telling, because it then begins to impose itself on abrogating free will, as does consulting spirits. In the same way, many forms of geomancy, alchemy, etc are "natural magic" and thus considered a form of science, because they are wholly interested in things within the "lunar sphere"; that is, within the physical, natural world. So transmutation of lead to gold is not blasphemous, because it falls within natural agencies (theoretically); necromancy, demonology or theurgy *are*, because they involve stepping beyond the bounds of nature.

Again, it isn't important that one believe or disbelieve any of this, but rather to understand that the medieval worldview was much more integrated than the modern one, and within the precepts of its beliefs, quite consistent. I recommended "The Discarded Image" by C S Lewis before as a good starting point, and will do so again, because it explains not only how medieval man saw himself vis a vis the natural world, the spirit world, the infernal and the divine, but explains how medieval society reconciled Germanic and Roman belief systems and where things like "faeries" and the Classical gods fit into their cosmology. This is important, because "official" Church teaching could very in different areas, but more importantly, had many areas in which it was simply silent, and local custom and belief filled in the gaps.

In addition to this, the 15th century saw a huge influx of new interests via Humanism: in Classical literature and philosophy, in Neoplatonic and Hermetic thought, and with an infusion of Islamic and Sephardic philosophy and mysticism. All of this is going on and being put down into book form at the same time that we see the fechtbucher being produced, and as Christian suggests, often in the same format.

For those who want to delve into this intellectual current in more depth, I'd start with Lewis and "Magic in the Middle Ages" by Richard Kieckhefer":

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Middle-Canto-Richard-Kieckhefer/dp/0521785766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319753213&sr=8-1
[/url]

Despite the rather florid name, I'd also suggest that you read this in conjunction with Kieckhefer's "Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual of the Fifteenth Century".

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Rites-Necromancers-Fifteenth-Century/dp/0271017511/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3[/url]

These are both academic, scholarly works, but the latter, which centers around the Picatrix and its derivatives through the late Middle Ages, will give you a very clear idea of what bonafide *magic* was to a medieval person. (And will explain why we keep hedging what we say is or isn't present in various authors.)

If you compare this to the discussion of Neoplatonists and Hermeticists in Yate's "Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition"

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Giordano-Bruno-Hermetic-Tradition-Frances/dp/0226950077/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319753740&sr=1-2[/url]

or any of Voss or Cobb's work on Marsilio Ficino and you will have a very good grounding of the differences between alchemy, astrology and magic in late medieval/early Renaissance thought, and why it became particularly popular in central Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
James Head

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another related issue I wanted to mention is our modern tendency to simplify history (particularly the Middle Ages) into these segmented units that school children can easily understand, internalize, and then explain back to teachers and parents. I understand the purpose behind it. You can't spend an entire school year on Medieval History (although you could...) But it takes a lot of effort to break out of these codified blocks of history that we have packed away in our early memory. You can easily see the residual influence when we get into topics like this (history of the Church etc...)

A familiar modern mantra is to depict Medieval faith as being some repressive and backward class-code that was enforced by a tyrannical Christian empire. It is common to reference rampant witch burnings and a general Catholic abhorrence to science and knowledge as the general mentality of the time.

What some seem to forget is that although witchcraft and magic were considered sins throughout the Medieval era, they were only as bad as any other daily indiscretion. My favorite example of this is found in England's earliest surviving Fabliau, Dame Sirith and the Weeping Bitch. It treats the idea of being able to magically transform a person into an animal as a cruel and naughty thing to do, but no suggestion that such a person was in league with the devil etc... instead, witchcraft and magic is considered an every day type of nuisance.

It was not until the very end of what is commonly considered the Middle Ages that the concept of witchcraft, magic and devil worship as an assault upon the survival of Christian Europe became a serious issue. Malleus Maleficarum was not published until 1486, placing the true 'heyday' of Witch Hunting squarely in the realm of the Renaissance.

Likewise, the idea that science and knowledge was repressed by the Church is also silly. I love how the Renaissance is described as a time when great thinkers began to re-discover ancient texts of science and philosophy, blowing the roof off the Church's backward and superstitious ways. Who do you think had been archiving, transcribing, copying and preserving all those inflammatory manuscripts for centuries?

All that being said, I wanted to provide a great example of how the Medieval mind was able to think inclusively about issues that many modern folk would consider irreconcilable.

Here's a detail of a stained glass window found in the Chartres Cathedral.

From the bottom up, it shows...

June, July and August.

The specific 'Labor' related to each month. (Mowing Grass, Reaping Grain, Threshing Grain)

The Zodiac symbol related to each month. (Notice the shift in Zodiac signs from then to now...)

This is a running vertical series of images, with Christ sitting at the top. Clearly, a bright stained glass window was meant to be seen by everyone in the community. It is not in the same realm as some other 'hidden' cathedral artwork like gargoyles or grotesque misericords.

How could the symbols of a pagan Zodiac system be allowed inside an enormous Catholic cathedral? I don't fully understand, but it is clear that people back then (including church leaders) did not think the Zodiac was anti-christian. It makes more sense if you consider that most 'common' medieval folk still measured time by lunar and celestial movement. There were obviously recognizable groups of stars in the sky, with one group becoming more prominent than the others during any given month. Add a naming system to these constellations thad had been established for a millennia (at least), and you end up with a very efficient and useable time keeping method. My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the emphasis on Zodiacal spirituality and prophecy did not re-surface until the Renaissance. Before that, it was just a circle of symbolic images and animals that comfortably coincided with one's real-life labors and activities.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

Good stuff! A couple of notes though:

1. The zodiac is definitely associated with esoterica, and specifically divination, as early as at least the 12th century (and likely quite a bit before) in Europe. If you look at the manuscript I linked, the zodiac is hooked up with the planetary astrology and its attempts to categorize people and their destinies. Certainly, the zodiac is connected with Geomancy early on, so such associations can be traced to the 12th century (Gerard of Cremona).

2. The associations of the months and signs isn't how modern astronomy uses them, but is still the same system used in modern astrology. Cancer begins in June, etc. Note that Leo shares a split medallion with the month of July.

Good observations!

Yours,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

James Head

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

2. The associations of the months and signs isn't how modern astronomy uses them, but is still the same system used in modern astrology. Cancer begins in June, etc. Note that Leo shares a split medallion with the month of July.

Hi Christian. Here is a link to the page I took the image from.

http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/Fra...odiacs.htm

As you can see, every other month alternates between one and two medallions. I was assuming the centered July medallion was an artistic choice; it creates a better visual flow and saves room. Is this also related to the intricacies of Zodiac astronomy (straddling two months etc...)?
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

I'm not sure, but will try to analyze this further.

Cheers!

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice post James. Also, it is a good idea for people to remember that what we call the scientific method was a product of the Church - the fact that said method then produced things it was not happy about is besides the point. Further, as you noted the witch craze is a product of the Renaissance, and some of its worst elements, actually belong to Protestantism and the Early Modern period.

Note, I'm not putting a value judgment on this, just agreeing that this idea of Medieval faith as being very narrowly defined and repressive, is simply not true. If anything, in many ways, Christian faith in the west in 1400 was more "big-tent" in some areas than it is not, and part of the Reformation was a refutation against this, as well as against decadence in the administration of the Church itself.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Also, it is a good idea for people to remember that what we call the scientific method was a product of the Church - the fact that said method then produced things it was not happy about is besides the point.

The myth of "Catholc Church vs. Science" is one of the great lies about the Church. It has recently been re-enforced by the crapy books and movies by Dan Brown and others. Dan Brown and the like seem to have no knowlege of Pope Sylvester II, one of the great scientist of his day, and and Gregor Mendel, the Catholic friar who is known as the father of modern genetics. Everyone always points to the Galileo controversy as proof of the myth but that so-called controversy is actually a case of the Church demanding that Galileo stick to good scientific method (ie. proof!), which the article at the following link explains: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-galileo-controversy). Overall there is actually little in science that the Catholic Church has been unhappy about outside things like embryo research. The Church has no issues with biological evolution (I was a TA for numerous evolution courses at The Catholic University of America), or physical and geological evolution.

Ran Pleasant

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Mysticism in WMA
Page 3 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: