Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A few new finished pieces from Michaels Smithy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Very interesting idea guys! I think that doing a side by side comparison of these two swords would be very informative and provide a nice platform to compare and contrast some design elements.

I have wanted to make a series of 5-6 swords, all identical to the eye but build one like a wall hanger, then progressively improve design elements until the final sword feels and behaves the way a sword should. But then again it would be an educational project and would have to be part of an informative setting and I don't get the opportunity to talk or explain what is really going on with a sword and its properties first hand so I doubt that I'd invest the time in such a series.

Well obviously both Rusty and I are kidding about the sending of the other's sword to the other if only for the logistical problems and the chances of something going wrong and being responsible for damage or loss, plus the cost of shipping back and forth over multiple borders multiple times. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool

The idea of producing a set of swords displaying a spectrum of handling characteristics going from the extremes of sharpened crowbar, to heavy but reasonably functional, to lots of presence, medium presence, optimum presence versus durability and maybe one going too far compromising some essentials minimal qualities like durability of edges or excessive flexibility.

It would be an interesting collector's piece but I assume it would mean someone willing to buy all the 5 or 6 swords and have them as a set. Wink Very expensive and unless I won the lottery or was already insanely rich not economically practical. Wink

Doesn't mean we, and Michael, wouldn't be pleased if some " fanatical " collector wanted such a set made out of curiosity.

So any insanely rich and very curious collector or " museum " wanting such a commission filled for educational purposes ? Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Rusty Thomas

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do like the idea of the sword set for educational purposes. Probably would be very informative. Jean you were kidding? I was serious about you sending me YOUR sword! Laughing Out Loud I guess for now the only "similar" sword in my collection would be an Albion Vigil. I am looking forward to comparing those two though. As far as a scabbard goes I contacted Brian K, I think the day I commisioned the sword. At least one good thing about his waiting list time is that I will have plenty of time to get to know the sword before I have to send it off to him. The hard part is not spending the scabbard money before my turn comes up. Hmmm....there is that auction that Mr Pikula is doing right now... Wink
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rusty Thomas wrote:
I guess for now the only "similar" sword in my collection would be an Albion Vigil.

Well my comparison sword is the Albion Tritonia which also is a type XIIIb.

Since the Albion is based on a close measuring of the original by Peter Johnsson one can be confident that the Museum line reproduction of the Tritonia sword is accurate in the handling of the original.

Tritonia: If I wanted to cause significant blunt trauma damage to a maille clad opponent the Tritonia is the one to go to as it's heavier than the average one hander by at least one pound.

Pikula Oakeshott: Would be as effective for blunt trauma as the average one hander weighing 2 lbs 8 oz close to the Albion's Gaddhjalt at 2 lbs 9 oz but with it's thin and very wide blade section a more aggressive cutter I believe.

The Pikula Type XIIIb under discussion would be significantly faster in recovery.

Anyway, this Topic thread isn't really a review one, but since you mentioned comparisons with other swords I though I would give you stuff to mull over until you get your sword from Michael.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was able to locate the specs on the viking sword! I knew I had to have them somewhere and today I happened upon them. The original post has been updated with the following:

Here are some specs on the sword:
Length overall: 37"
Blade Length: 30.75"
Blade width at guard: 2"
Weight : 2lb 10oz
Point of Balance: 3” forward of guard
Point of rotation and forward node: 20.5" forward of guard

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A few new finished pieces from Michaels Smithy
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: