Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Scabbard for Albion NG Prince by Todsstuff.co.uk Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Watson

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with the comments about the scabbard, but not about most of those made about the sword. I think the sword and scabbard perfectly compliment each other, the sword does not need to be any fancier to match the scabbard. The metal used for the scabbard reflects that of the pommel, so that works well. Also the pommel shape is more complex than many others without being overly decorative. I find it's faceted faces to create enough visual interest. Even the curve of the guard, although not the sole domain of fancy swords futher lends to the aesthetic appeal of the sword as do the terminations of the guard. I think the scabbard and belt have very much been conceived with this sword in mind and they suit each other perfectly.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is what I like about Tod's pieces, in general, and this scabbard in particular.

You can always tell a piece made by Tod, and so he does definitely have his own "style". What I like about his personal "style" is that it is a manifestation of histoirical design properties. Whether it be the seax, the bullock dagger, or a fine scabbard like this, the design and details show Tod's style, but at the same time capture the period in question. THere is nothing "modern" about his style even in pieces not copied from originals.

Most modern craftsmen, including very skilled ones, have a "style" which is historical in theme but their personal touch seems to incorporate modern sensibilities to a greater or lesser degree in a largely historical design in order to achieve a combination historical/modern vision. Their designs show a "sleekness" or combination of straight historical elements peppered with modern design elements to creat an artistic whole using the best of both aesthetics.

With Tod, I know that even when I give him near total reign in a project the approach he takes will be completely historically executed in design from start to finish. Al aspects and details of the design will be historical and usually found in period. It seems to be the choice of extant historical elements and the combination of historical elements which, taken together creates the design whole.

In short, I love to see an aesthetic, which I imagine, to be beautiful to the medieval eye moreso than an aethstetic attractive to the modern eye incorporating historical elements.
Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perfect!

I was just thinking, is there a higher level yet unattained by sword scabbards today? If so, who could pull that off? This is the answer. Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's incredibly stunning.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only just saw this now. That's unbelievable! Well done!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 17 Oct, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much everybody, that is strong praise indeed and helps to make it all worthwhile.

I really enjoyed this comission and thanks Very much to Soren for comissioning the piece and leaving the brief so open and I am glad you like the results.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Pierre T.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to join in with the others with my frank admiration for this piece.

Some medieval decorations seem sometimes to be to our eyes a bit garish - they went over the top when they could. What I find very impressive about this one is that it seems to capture the medieval enthusiasm, but yet done in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. That's a very impressive feat to pull off.
Josh S

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Oh my god" - that's what this piece made me mutter when I saw it. I've seen a lot of truly excellent scabbards here, but this is the first time one has literally made my jaw hang open. That's insane. A real work of *art*, without any exaggeration at all. One of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen, scabbard or otherwise.

Pierre T. wrote:
Some medieval decorations seem sometimes to be to our eyes a bit garish - they went over the top when they could. What I find very impressive about this one is that it seems to capture the medieval enthusiasm, but yet done in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. That's a very impressive feat to pull off.

That's what does it for me as well. It is so highly decorated but doesn't come off as gaudy in any way, everything works together so perfectly - and I'll echo the previous poster in saying that I find the sword complements it perfectly as well.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Scabbard for Albion NG Prince by Todsstuff.co.uk
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: