One-and-a-half-hand Sword, 14thC.
Hello everybody,

We´re proud to introduce new sword from our smithery.
It´s hand and a half sword, 14th Century, original comes from Polish collection.

We made a massive pommel (diameter 70 mm) upon customer´s wishes.
Therefore the sword weighs 2 kg, but it´s perfectly balanced.
Of course, we can make the pommel "lightened" (presumed weigh of the sword = 1.8 kg).
You can choose which variant you´d like more.

Sword length: 112 cm
Blade lehgth: 85 cm
Cross-guard length: 17 cm
Point of balance: in the cross-guard

Hilt is made from wood, cord , coated with leather.
Below some pictures from "making-process" :-)

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Cheers, Michal

Last edited by Michal Spilka on Mon 27 Jun, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
And... the final piece:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

more photos on our web: http://www.nielo-sword.com/fotogalerie/swords-schwerter/

Michal
Very nice work, massive pommel actually looks kinda good, even if it's theoretically oversized.

Any info on original sword?
Hello Bartek,

thank you.

Customer I made this sword for, says the original is from your polish museum Wojska Polskiego in Warsaw. He wanted the same sword, but a little bit different proportions.
The piece in the museum is a bit longer and diameter of the pommel is eactually bigger - 80 mm.

I know similar sword from Royal Armouries ( http://www.nielo-sword.com/foto/sword-royal-armouries-leeds-653/ ) and of course E. Oakeshoot´s medieval sword.

I joined one of the histrorical feasts this weekend and many czech swordsmen admired this sword´s great handling, which really pleased me.

I want to visit Wasrzaw´s museum, don´t you know if there´s allowed to take photographs?

Greetings to the North from our Kingdom :eek:
Michal
I really like this one. Good job.
I really like this one too! The big pommel goes really nicely with the short cross. Gives the whole piece a sleek look that is very easy on the eyes in my opinion! Well done.
Thanks for kind words!
I´m glad you like it ;)
Excellent work Michal - I'd be proud to own that.

Yours,

Christian
very nice looking sword
That is not usually my style of sword, but after looking at this one I will have to change my mind. this appears to ask to be used. Not just something to look at or admire. Thanks for posting this.

Lee
I just love everything about this sword, except the size of the pommel. large pommels look great in pictures, much better than small ones but I'm a handling and performance guy and while I love the shape of the pommel I would never want it so large. all the same what I see here is some excellent craftsmanship so please don't take any of this as a slight. the sword is gorgeous and obviously made by a wonderful craftsman. thank you for sharing this with us especially the in progress pictures.
Tom Kinder wrote:
I just love everything about this sword, except the size of the pommel. large pommels look great in pictures, much better than small ones but I'm a handling and performance guy and while I love the shape of the pommel I would never want it so large. all the same what I see here is some excellent craftsmanship so please don't take any of this as a slight. the sword is gorgeous and obviously made by a wonderful craftsman. thank you for sharing this with us especially the in progress pictures.

Thanks Tom. I´m glad for all reactions - I´m a big boy, I don´t take it as a slight :D
All discussions about my weapons are always good to hear, it always helps to know opinions and experiences of others.
I try to improve my skills all the time, so it´s helpful.

Customer clearly specified proportions of this sword. I made this one for the first time. I was curious myself, because original pommel is actually even bigger. But in the end - it´s just about how you feel, when you hold it - if the sword suits you or not. Everybody´s different :)
I generally dont like the short cross with a big pommel, but this somehow seems to work for me. The only thing is with this hilt, I would have liked a pointier tip I think to help with the sleek look that Tim mentioned.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: