Cheek stock guns
Lately I have been looking at guns around the 16th century and I have run across an odd stock style that i am having trouble finding info about. I find pictures of alot of wheellock sporting rifle with it but im wondering if it was used on the battlefield (matchlock or wheellock)? Any info is greatly appreciated. :)

Here is a link to a video of someone who makes and shoots them he has quite a few videos with cheek stock guns both ornate and utilitarian.
http://www.youtube.com/user/bolek1964#p/u/5/nu3eymk9Qrc

There are some examples of some target rifles I have found as attachments.

Attachment: 36.46 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 39.71 KB
[ Download ]
Re: Cheek stock guns
Jared Lambert wrote:
Lately I have been looking at guns around the 16th century and I have run across an odd stock style that i am having trouble finding info about. I find pictures of alot of wheellock sporting rifle with it but im wondering if it was used on the battlefield (matchlock or wheellock)? Any info is greatly appreciated. :) .

The armory at Graz has literally hundreds of wheellocks set in cheekstocks intended to arm cavalry. Some are stubby little carbines, some have barrels over 40 inches. They were very common before 1650, and continued to be made well into the 18th century for target arms - they make for very good off-hand target rifles, I believe. I have even seen one on the Herman Historica website that had a percussion lock, and from the shape of the lockplate I don't believe it was a conversion.
Thanks for the info I managed to find a website with a bunch of pictures from the graz and found some of the cheek stock muskets/arquebus :wtf: firearms as well as some other interesting stock designs which are attached if interested. If your interested in the photos of the armory here is the link
http://vikingsofbjornstad.gbtllc.com/GrazArmory.htm

Attachment: 58 KB
Graz_DSCN0495.jpg

Attachment: 59.85 KB
Graz_DSCN0493.jpg
cheek stock in the background

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: