Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > UK Crossbow Clubs? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Ostacchini

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: UK Crossbow Clubs?         Reply with quote

Hello

Does Anyone know of any UK clubs which accept medieval replica crossbows? Of all the research I have done I can find very few crossbow clubs at all, and there seem to be upper draw limits of around 90lb, far less than any medieval examples. There are no doubt further issues still which prevent them from being used, ammunition specifications and lack of safety catch etc. Most archery clubs do not accept crossbows, and those that do often impose rules restricting anything resembling a real crossbow.

Is there anywhere at all which aims to promote the shooting of the medieval military crossbow? I am aware of and will hopefully shortly be a member of the English warbow society. Is there no crossbow equivalent? I strongly suspect not, in which case is there anywhere you can shoot them?

For any proper crossbow owners, where do you shoot your bows?and what distances? I would be looking at maybe buying a relatively light example, but what about those which need a windlass or cranequin to span? Surely the occasional use at an event would not satisy a user who has spent in excess of £1000 to buy their mega powerful crossbow? I know I wouldn't be. This whole thing is really frustrating!!! please help

Alex

Hello
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Alex.

Unfortunately I can't help you out directly about places to shoot your crossbow (Unless you want to make a little trek across the pond to Arizona). But as a fellow crossbow guy I had to say hi and if you have other crossbow type question I'll be willing to give them a go.

http://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com The Arbalist guild has a couple of members who are from UK and shoot high powered custom crossbows. They may be able to answer your question. As well as help you out if you want to build one yourself.
Alex Ostacchini

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that, looks like an interesting site Happy
Hello
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex,

It may well be worth contacting the English Warbow Society (www.englishwarbowsociety.com). Although their primary focus is the (long) bow, they may well be receptive to other military-type spanned weapons.

As long as you are competent (safe) with the weapon they should have little problem with you shooting alongside them. Certainly, the use of military bolts shouldn't be a problem since most EWBS archers use military arrows exclusively.

An EWBS shoot typically consists of more traditional disciplines: clout, roving marks or flight shooting; with occasional popinjays or butt shoots. If you are shooting a crossbow below about 500lb draw-weight, you should be able to compete with warbow archers on a more-or-less equal footing.

EWBS members are based all over the UK (and around the world) so you should be able to find someone near you.
Alex Ostacchini

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I shoot a light warbow at the moment, and really that is my first interest, so I've been meaning to join the society for a while now. A yew warbow is above a crossbow on my wish list at the moment Happy But I had in mind a crossbow spanned by a goats foot or belt hook, so it would definitely be below 500lbs. I can't imagine that would be able to outrange a warbow. Sadly I have no experience to support that.

This is all hypothetical at the moment because I'm not old enough to buy one. Thank you very much though, it never crossed my mind that they would accept crossbows even though now i think about it it seems the most obvious solution. I will be sure to ask when i get round to joining Happy

Hello
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I shoot a light warbow at the moment,

By this I presume you mean a medieval profile, compass bow?

This is just my definition, but if a bow cannot throw a 2 1/4oz (65g) arrow at least 220 yards then it shouldn't be classified as a 'bow or war' ('warbow')

That means, a 'light' warbow starts at around 100lbs draw-weight (give or take, depending on the quality of the wood and the archer!) Happy

These days, I'm less interested in what draw-weight you can pull, and more interested in the distance you can shoot a military arrow...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > UK Crossbow Clubs?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic