Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Comparison needed of a few Albions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:

I was disappointed not to see any swords that even remotely resembled Albions. So my quest to see an Albion in person has not yet been fulfilled. Worried

The good thing about Albion is that, if you trust that most of us here know what we are talking about, is that Albion is at the top end of the high quality production swords and where designed to match period swords of the same types in handling but are of more uniformally consistant quality than in period where the quality of the raw material and heat treat would have varied greatly from excellent to attocious.

Anyway, the point being that in buying an Albion you really can't go wrong as to design and quality matching a real sword in period.

I could also add that A&A is also a production maker and also a custom maker to consider as the top end.

Above this there are a lot of very good custom makers that produce equally good or even better, by a small degree, swords.
( If Albions where to be put on a 1 to 10 scale they would be an 8.5 with the very best custom makers being a 9 or 9.5 .... nobody makes a 10 which would have to be perfection itself ).

I would recommend looking to buy your Albion(s) from Kult of Athena as they often have some Albions in stock for immediate delivery and Kult of Athena has a great reputation as a good vendor. Also, they have a good return policy should you not like the sword you chose. ( As long as you return it in the same condition you got it after first making arrangements to ship it back ..... you might still have to lose a bit on the shipping though and best to not buy on a whim or send it back for little reason ).

http://www.kultofathena.com/
http://www.kultofathena.com/albion.asp

Another advantage buying from KoA is that since they are a volume buyer they can probably get you your sword more quickly, if it's not already in stock, and if you want just a simple storage scabbard they can make you one for your sword before shipping it.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+Belt+Frog

NOTE: I have purchased from KoA dozens of times and the quality of service has always been excellent with very prompt delivery of in stock items. ( When they say it's in stock, it is in stock ! ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the added insight Zach. Of the four I've mentioned the Crecy has definitely gotten the most votes so far if we use this thread as an informal poll.

Jean, thanks for the recommendation for KoA. I've decided that I'm going to make every attempt to see them in person before I make my final descision, even if it means travelling. But when the time comes to order one I'll definitely remember KoA as a good option.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are willing to go from California to Illinois to visit KOA, you might as well go up to New Glarus to see Albion - call them to arrange a tour.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
If you are willing to go from California to Illinois to visit KOA, you might as well go up to New Glarus to see Albion - call them to arrange a tour.

I've actually come up with an idea that might work better than either. I frequently ride my motorcycle to visit my brother in Utah. He only lives about an hour away from DBK custom swords (if they actually keep their swords in Taylorsville, where their site lists them as):
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/swordlessscabbard.html

I notice on their website that they say they keep a large selection of Albions in stock to use to make their scabbards. Of the four on my list the only one they don't seem to have is the Burgundian (neither do they have it's sister, the Kingmaker). I'm hoping that they would be willing to let me check out their swords. It would have the added benefit that I could see their scabbards as well (which I really like).
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

I've actually come up with an idea that might work better than either. I frequently ride my motorcycle to visit my brother in Utah. He only lives about an hour away from DBK custom swords (if they actually keep their swords in Taylorsville, where their site lists them as):
http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/swordlessscabbard.html

I notice on their website that they say they keep a large selection of Albions in stock to use to make their scabbards. Of the four on my list the only one they don't seem to have is the Burgundian (neither do they have it's sister, the Kingmaker). I'm hoping that they would be willing to let me check out their swords. It would have the added benefit that I could see their scabbards as well (which I really like).

That shouldn't be a problem. Just let me know ahead of time and we can arrange a presentation. Though I must say on the Laird & Squire, I have the Knight & Prince, which share the exact same blade(s). I just work with the guard being a little different to accomplish a swordless scabbard. But, the bottom line is that I have more than enough for you to determine what you like, and don't like.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian K. wrote:
That shouldn't be a problem. Just let me know ahead of time and we can arrange a presentation. Though I must say on the Laird & Squire, I have the Knight & Prince, which share the exact same blade(s). I just work with the guard being a little different to accomplish a swordless scabbard. But, the bottom line is that I have more than enough for you to determine what you like, and don't like.

Wow, thanks Brian! That's fast service and a generous offer. I didn't recall that you were a forum member but it only makes sense.

I'm thinking that I'd like to make the trip before winter sets in. I'll have to see what my work schedule looks like for the end of this month through the middle of next month. I'll check with you beforehand obviously to make sure it works for you.

Thanks again!
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Trip         Reply with quote

You know- If you are going to New Glarus, you might plan a trip like this:

1. Fly into Minneapolis
    1.A. Visit Arms & Armor

2. Drive to New Glarus
    2.A Stop at the Castle Rock Museum (of Arms & Armor) In Alma, WI

3. Proceed to drive on to New Glarus
    3.A Visit Albion
    3.B Visit the New Glarus Brewing Company (try some of the best beer in the world)

Luckily I live near these businesses, but if I did not, this would be a fantastic vacation!
If you are coming all the way from California you might as well as make the most of it.

Here is a google route.
P.S. You might talk to Michael P. and see if you can visit him too since he is on the way.

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting reading, I'm thinking about that vacation myself. D.S.Smith, there is a rather glaring error in your reasoning, that's the bit about the one and only sword. Once you have the first one in your possession the second won't be far behind....
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Ballantyne wrote:
Very interesting reading, I'm thinking about that vacation myself. D.S.Smith, there is a rather glaring error in your reasoning, that's the bit about the one and only sword. Once you have the first one in your possession the second won't be far behind....

Well, he might be able to keep it to one, but at the second sword the flood gates open and he becomes a " sword addict " or going to be one.

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, his situation is worse than you think. Because he's going to visit Brian, who has numerous Albions, he is going to find multiple swords, some of which he never even knew that he might like, that he appreciates. It's going to be a flood gate from the get-go.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Actually, his situation is worse than you think. Because he's going to visit Brian, who has numerous Albions, he is going to find multiple swords, some of which he never even knew that he might like, that he appreciates. It's going to be a flood gate from the get-go.

But if this is the result he will have found a new passion and it would also be a crash course in feeling the differences in handling of different sword types as well as what they have in common. Wink Big Grin Cool

Should ruin him for life from buying badly handling cheap swords i.e. swords that only look good but feel like boat anchors or have rat tail tangs that will snap if the sword is wiggled a bit too roughly. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud ( Thankfully many of the lower end production swords are now much higher in handling and quality that a few decades ago except for the truly cheap one or those only meant for wall display ).

D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys crack me up. Laughing Out Loud

It is very possible that my "one sword" thought process will eventually get turned on it's head (especially after viewing some of Brian's collection). But Jean, don't worry about even the possibility of me collecting cheap wall hangers. I have a curse that in every hobby I do I have to buy exceptional quality, even if it means saving for a long period of time. As an example, when I bought my latest model 1911 pistol, I could have bought a "cheap" Springfield Armory GI model for roughly $400. Instead I had the Springfield Custom Shop build me a pistol using Caspian, Ed Brown, and Wilson parts. In the end it was roughly $2,900. I'm not trying to sound snobby, or like I'm made of money, because I'm not. I just saved several years until I had enough to buy what I truly wanted. I don't "settle" for instant gratification when it comes to my hobbies. Laughing Out Loud
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
You guys crack me up. Laughing Out Loud

It is very possible that my "one sword" thought process will eventually get turned on it's head (especially after viewing some of Brian's collection). But Jean, don't worry about even the possibility of me collecting cheap wall hangers. I have a curse that in every hobby I do I have to buy exceptional quality, even if it means saving for a long period of time. As an example, when I bought my latest model 1911 pistol, I could have bought a "cheap" Springfield Armory GI model for roughly $400. Instead I had the Springfield Custom Shop build me a pistol using Caspian, Ed Brown, and Wilson parts. In the end it was roughly $2,900. I'm not trying to sound snobby, or like I'm made of money, because I'm not. I just saved several years until I had enough to buy what I truly wanted. I don't "settle" for instant gratification when it comes to my hobbies. Laughing Out Loud

This is my mindset as well. I only want the best in my collection- at least the best as I understood "the best" to be at the time of purchase. No matter one's income we can simply save a little at a time even if that take a very long time to get what we REALLY want. If we have to use that money for something then, oh well, our hobby is a luxury anyway. Happy
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I just got home from my 4 day motorcycle ride to Utah and back. I of course visited with my brother and his family, but the primary goal was to check out Brian Kunz' collection of Albions and his scabbards. Laughing Out Loud

Let me start by saying that Brian is a true gentleman. He invited my brother and I into his home and took time out of his day to show us a wide variety of swords and answer my novice questions. Before I get on to the sword talk, let me also mention his scabbards. I've been drooling over them on his website, but even as good as the pictures are, they just don't do justice to the real thing. His scabbards are incredibly well made. The fit of every one I tried was unbelievable and his leatherworking skills are incredible. There is not a doubt in my mind that whichever sword I choose, I'll be ordering one of Brian's scabbards to complement it.

Now on the to the swords. I joked with Brian that my trip to Utah to see the swords in person was supposed to make choosing easier...not harder. Laughing Out Loud Although he didn't have the exact swords on my list, he had their siblings so I could get a good idea of how they felt in hand. It left me with some surprising new insights.

So here was my list before (from page 1 of this thread):

Laird
Crecy
Squire
Burgundian

Thanks to seeing the swords in person, two of these are now off the list. The Squire (Brian actually had the Prince, which shares the same blade) is one of them. Although it was a nice sword, the blade style combined with a single hand hilt just didn't suit me. The second sword off the list is the Burgundian...but more on that later.

I checked out the Knight, which shares the blade as the Laird. The handling was truly excellent for a 1 hander. Probably my favorite feeling of the 1 handers Brian had (which were many). Even though I like the original cruciform crossguards, the knight was just a bit too plain for me. The added detail on the hilt of the Laird might make up for it.

OK, now on to what everyone's been waiting for....drumroll...the Crecy (haha OK, maybe it was only dramatic for me, and not you guys). The Crecy was hands down, 100%, no questions asked, the most strikingly beautiful of all the swords I saw. It was the very definition of what a sword should be in my book. Every line was perfect. The grip was comfortable to hold. BUT...it was the worst handling sword in the collection (in my beginner opinion)....(bangs head on table). It felt very blade heavy compared to the other swords, both 1 and 2 handers. It was probably a mistake to handle the Earl. Laughing Out Loud The Earl, whose asthetics did not really suit my style, handled how I felt a 2 hand sword should. Handling-wise it was everything the Crecy wasn't. I couldn't believe they could make a sword so large and heavy feel so light, quick, and balanced.

But what the Earl did show me was that like Neil Langley said in the first page of this thread, the hollow grounds blades are beautiful in person. I'm also thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that the hollow ground blade is part of the reason behind the Earl's outstanding handling characteristics. So back to my original list, the Burgundian dropped off, but only to replaced by it's sister, the Kingmaker. Brian didn't have either of the hollow ground single handers, but from reading the stats on Albion's website, the Kingmaker seems like it would be well ballanced. The center of balance is closer to the cross guard than on similar length blades like the Squire/ Prince.

Sorry for the long post. So here's where I am at this point. If I get a single handed sword I believe I've decided on the Kingmaker. If I pick a longer sword I'll get the Crecy and just learn to live with the blade-heavy feel. As much as I hate to sound shallow, the looks of the Crecy are enough to overshadow it's handling.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it seems that you like swords with very light feeling and PoB very close to the hilt. Happy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your handling issue with the Crecy, in all honesty, is probably a function of inexperience using a wide array of swords and not fully appreciating its intended use. Figure its peak period of application, among the monied nobility at least, probably predates the Earl buy a good 100 years or more. Perhaps five or six generations of fighting men bringing innovation to the battlefield might separate them. Perhaps most importantly, full plate most likely does not dominate the battlefield at the Crecy's apogee so a bit more blade presence likely translates as more of a cutting sword and meshes with cutting technique nicely while still having the ability to thrust. By the time the Earl comes on the scene you're most likely just not cutting an armored opponent on the battlefield anymore (although not everyone is armored and level of armoring varies), so blade presence for cutting becomes less of an issue, and you may just want your sword to handle differently to compliment the technique you're now applying. Besides you're probably half swording.

As with all things this is a matter of degrees and preference still plays louder than anything else. Think of it in terms of your firearms background...different tools for different purposes and specific kinds tools dominate specific periods of history for good reasons. Some of these reasons are not immediately obvious until you build a base of experience with a range of tools. Then you get the a-hah moments!

That said the hollow grinding is beautiful and when Albion introduced their hollow ground models it was unprecedented in modern production blades. If it that's what calls to you, it would be an amazing stretch to call an Earl, Regent, or Kingmaker anything other than a great first choice! Big Grin Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Paul B.G

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I have a Albion Crecy & a Scabbard from Brian and have to say that im very satisfied Big Grin

Having said that dont think i will stop at just 1, im just biding by time b4 i order an Albion Knight and then after that I'm probably going to look into a Roman Gladius Wink

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person

O====[::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

—Alfred Lord Tennyson, Ulysses
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luke, you're correct. That is exactly the feel I like in a sword I've realized. Even though the trip may not have made the decision any easier, it was incredibly usefull to actually feel the different types in my hand. before that it was all guesswork and internet pictures.

Joe, you make a good point about the feel of the Crecy. For a slashing sword the slightly blade-heavy feel might be more comforting than a more balanced thrusting type blade. And like you said, having never used a sword, it might be premature to decide what handling characteristics I like.

I know I started this thread saying I would only have one sword. Like Jean said, famous last words. Laughing Out Loud Maybe the solution is to get a Crecy and a Kingmaker. Then I will have my favorite longsword and my favorite 1 hander. And logically, the Crecy would have to come first. That way I can have it sooner to fondle while Brian makes the scabbard since he can do a sword-less scabbard (he'd need the Kingmaker to make the scabbard, which would delay my first sword being in my hot little hands Laughing Out Loud ).
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I ordered my Crecy from albion this morning (black grip)! Thanks again for all the insight everyone here provided. I thought long and hard about it, even to the point of cutting wood stakes to the appropriate lengths of different models Laughing Out Loud . The only sword that I can't stop thinking about is the Crecy. Everytime I told myself I was leaning towards something else I felt dissatisfied within a day or two. The Crecy just kept coming back to me.

This afternoon I'll be reserving a place in Brian's queue for a scabbard. My journey toward the dark side is almost complete. Laughing Out Loud
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. S. Smith wrote:
I laughed at your comment Adam, the Crecy is the most impressive of them from a visual standpoint.

Mr. Arndt, you guessed my tastes pretty accurately. The Sempach is right up my alley. The turn off for me is the curved cross guard. I'm pretty stuck on the standard crucifix style guard. The forward slanted (as opposed to curved) guards such as the Laird are not exactly my favorite, but I think I still like them due to the trace amounts of Scottish blood still in my veins (my mother's maiden name is MacLeod).

I actually bought the 1st generation Crecy Grete as my first sword purchase ever. I ended up selling it and getting the Sempach after rethinking the hand and half sword era and historical variety of furniture. I settled on the Albion Knight for my more simple crucifix form guard example. The Sempach is still elegantly simple, and have not regretted the change in my collection.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Comparison needed of a few Albions
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: