Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > XVIth century knightly orders collars Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: XVIth century knightly orders collars         Reply with quote

I have seen a number of portraits from the mid -late XVIth century depicting members of various military orders,

in many cases a small enamel and metal cross is suspended from a ribbon or chain, here some examples.

could you recommend a maker for a reproduction? if you have other examples from the same period to share i would love to see it.

thanks for help

Attachment: 81.94 KB
Knight_of_Calatrava.jpg

Attachment: 70.91 KB
knight of St.Stephen of Tuscany.jpg

Attachment: 30.28 KB
knight of St.Stephen 2.jpg

Attachment: 31.32 KB
knight of St.Lazarus and Carmel.jpg

Attachment: 32.88 KB
knight of St.John.jpg

Attachment: 40.26 KB
knigh of St.John 2.jpg

Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriele,

Most of the emblems seem to be simply hung from a ribbon. That's a few dollars at any hobby or fabric store.

The emblem itself will cost more, obviously. If you go for a simple enamel badge, that wouldn't be too much, probably under a hundred dollars. Unfortunately, reproductions of these badges aren't very common at all, mainly due to cost, because an 'authentic' one with precious metals and gems would definitely cost a pretty penny.

And, no offense here, just making sure you know that one thing you should take into consideration is that some of these knightly orders still exist, albeit in a honorary function rather than any serious military way, merely a way for some countries to honor outstanding citizens or people. The Order of the Garter is an example. I would investigate your order of choice to make sure it isn't still extant, as wearing their insignia without being an actual member would be presumptuous.

Anyway, as for whom to make one, I would check with jewelers in your area, actually. For reasons of cost it may be easier to just have it individually made for yourself.
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From my recent experience having a signet ring custom made I would say that your project would be fairly straightforward. Simply find a jeweler you are comfortable with and start getting your ideas down on paper. Size, dimensions, and material (gold, silver, etc) will drive cost.

Good luck on your project!

"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They may be able to help you at a reasonable price...

https://www.quietpress.com/

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for your answers:

I will try a local jeweler but i will send also a mail to quietpress that looks a fantastic website. I hope to remain in the 100 dollars range because what i really want is a simple metal-enamel cross, i have never tought about precious metal or stones, i'm not thinking to wear it in public but just to use it as a normal living history item, i'm aware that at least two of the knightly orders listed are still extant and probably, as jeffrey has pointed out, it would be unappropriate to wear it in pubblic.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > XVIth century knightly orders collars
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic