Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Big Fun at Swordfest 2004 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Big Fun at Swordfest 2004         Reply with quote

Just got back from Swordfest 2004 @ Albion, and wanted to say thanks to the Albion gang for having me up and hosting /arranging things. I had some big fun.

Much of the time with such smart folks like Bob Charron and Peter Johnsson, I felt like a little kid invited to the adults' table. Learned a lot, and as Patrick put it, a lot of things went "click" somewhere in the dark recesses of my tiny brain.

I was so pumped about all the knowledge flowing around, that I was on high speed much of the weekend....kind of a big Spaz. So again my apologies to the last folks left at the Sportman's, and to Peter the Patient for letting me monopolize his time and ask endless questions.

Thanks, had a great time,

N

PS
I have GOT to get me a Jarl. and a Hersir. and a Svante. oh yeah, of course a Regent.....and, and Confused
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Fun at Swordfest 2004         Reply with quote

I'm so jealous. I really wanted to go.

I guess that's one of the problems with working a job were weekend commitments are a given....

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

. . .and I had a great time when SwordFest packed up and went on the road on Sunday!

Lloyd Clark did some mat cutting with Tritonia from horseback, there was a lot of traffic at the Albion tent, I got to wander through some good conversation, and the Mercenary's Tailor breastplate survived assault by spear and by armor-piercing arrow! Three pencil point indentations speaks volumes about quality!

Again, a pleasure meeting everyone I've been speaking with online for so long face to face, thanks for the opportunity to be involved, and I had heard nothing but great feedback from the guests of the faire about Albion!

One last thing. I have to give credit and thanks to Paul (the shipping department executive at Albion) for representing Albion at the Harvest Festival. An awesome job pulling through for the team. Take care, brother, you did good!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could just a be a glutton for punishment like me and keep going back to school.

This round is sucking up an amazing amount of my time so all my hobbies have been put on hold, which stinks because its meant missing some cool things like this.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
. . .and I had a great time when SwordFest packed up and went on the road on Sunday!

Lloyd Clark did some mat cutting with Tritonia from horseback, there was a lot of traffic at the Albion tent, I got to wander through some good conversation, and the Mercenary's Tailor breastplate survived assault by spear and by armor-piercing arrow! Three pencil point indentations speaks volumes about quality!

Again, a pleasure meeting everyone I've been speaking with online for so long face to face, thanks for the opportunity to be involved, and I had heard nothing but great feedback from the guests of the faire about Albion!

One last thing. I have to give credit and thanks to Paul (the shipping department executive at Albion) for representing Albion at the Harvest Festival. An awesome job pulling through for the team. Take care, brother, you did good!

Aww man! I am jealous for that. I was on the road Sunday (pretty much all Sunday) because I have to work today, like in about a half an hour....

Do you have pictures? Not just from Sunday, but from any of it? I did not have the digicam, as Beccy claimed rights to it. Fair enough since it's her camera, but I was too short sighted to buy a disposable.

Pictures, pictures?

Joe and Chad: we should maybe try to get an Ohio convoy next time? It would help immensely with driving, and at least possibly defray hotel expenses? Missed you guys being there, we all did actually as I'm sure each of you would have had a perspective that I missed...

Joe, you especially would have *loved* Bob Charron's demo. Very cool.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Bell wrote:
Jonathon Janusz wrote:

Aww man! I am jealous for that. I was on the road Sunday (pretty much all Sunday) because I have to work today, like in about a half an hour....

Do you have pictures? Not just from Sunday, but from any of it? I did not have the digicam, as Beccy claimed rights to it. Fair enough since it's her camera, but I was too short sighted to buy a disposable.

Pictures, pictures?

Joe and Chad: we should maybe try to get an Ohio convoy next time? It would help immensely with driving, and at least possibly defray hotel expenses? Missed you guys being there, we all did actually as I'm sure each of you would have had a perspective that I missed...

Joe, you especially would have *loved* Bob Charron's demo. Very cool.

I've thought that would be a sensible approach.

It just was not feasible for me to go this time. Maybe next year the class load will be lighter.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Sorry. . . I was a little busy, but I know Leif and Rebekah had a digital camera with them on Sunday.
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Mon 11 Oct, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah i wouldn't worry too much about it....

I am sure that when either Bob or Lloyd get a chance that there will be pictures a plenty to post. I know that Bob's folks were snapping digital pics left and right all day sunday and half of saturday. We were all so busy working at getting the faire grounds cleaned up and getting every thing with the "hay bale seating" taken care of that no one has had a chance to post any pics but if i know Bob, and i do, he will have some up tomorrow or the day after.

Not to mention that there were some AMAZING shots that Lloyd's friend Curtis took on Saturday... Lances Flying every where...

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
Bob Reinke

PostPosted: Tue 12 Oct, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

NOt to threadjack this one, but I guess it is ok because albion was there.

I regret that I did not get time to talk to anyone from albion for any real length of time, but we were VERY happy that you guys took the time to come up. I will get pix from the show soon. Unfortunately, I cannot say how many we have of the cutting demo.

On that subject, I was very impressed with the outcome. The breastplate held up well. (Bummer it doesnt fit me!)
We tried our hardest to destroy it, but failed. The arrows didnt inflict as much damage as I thought they would. They were fired from a 60lb bow @ 30' and only had minor penetration. I doubt anyone wearing the breastplate would have even noticed.
The lance we used did about the same amount of damage, but I think the blow would have at least knocked the wearer to the ground.

I didnt get to see much else as I had to attend to the horses, and the bead-seeking mobs of children. all in all it was a great time.

For those that missed this round, we are doing another faire in june (I believe it is the second week, but Lloyd will have to confirm that) and again in October. We look forward to doing more destructive testing on the breastplate, and some other pieces in the near future.

Anyone in the area interested in having a cutting party, I think we could put one together before the snow flies. just let me know when you are available.

Bob Reinke
Order of the Northern Star
(almost formerly known as The Kings Champions)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Big Fun at Swordfest 2004
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic