Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Pikula hoard traveling from Ashokan Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Pikula hoard traveling from Ashokan         Reply with quote

I lovingly named my pile of sword that traveled to Ashokan the "Pikula Hoard" since it is the largest collection of my work to ever be photographed or seen together. I think it shows a decent example of some of the different techniques that I work with, and diversity in style. That being said, the inlay work on the hilt of the right most viking sword is not mine, it was a collaborative effort with Jeff Helms, I made the blade and fittings, Jeff did the inlay work and I assembled the fittings and made the grip.

Shameless plug but four of the six swords are still looking for a home, you can find more information and details at, http://michaelssmithy.com/Michaels_Smithy/Ava...e_Now.html

I've gotten a few questions about Ashokan, and to share my experience and what I've learned and taken away. I will not get into every detail, nor subjects that have been asked to be kept confidential. What I did come away with was a whole different approach and level of thinking that I dismissed before. I was able to meet and talk with many great minds that have opened up the door to this craft in an artistic fashion and got my wheels turning in a way that was closed off before. When I was attending college, everyone in my art classes viewed my blacksmith work as something of a craft, and there was no "art" or "fine art" involved. Like a childish fool I believed them and I locked away all the things that didn't have to do with the creation of a sword and accepted it as purely craft. I always felt that there had to be an element of art in the object being created, the moment that a blade wakes from it's slumber and starts to take on a character of its own, there had to be art and magic in that exact moment! But if the world didn't want to see it that way then I would simply have to make due. Now I hear and know that there are others that feel, live and breathe this art of creating as an art form, as one of telling a story or telling a tale, relating to our human psyche, all through the construction of a contemporary object floating through the context of time. I feel new doors opening, new possibilities to explore, and deeper tales to tell then what I have been doing to this date.

While these ideas are not my own, I hope to incorporate them in my work in a meaningful and significant way and find a way to make them unique to the work that I am doing. But words are cheap, back to working and when I feel that these thoughts have manifested in a successful fashion there will be much credit to pay homage to Happy

Attachment: 160.3 KB
DSCN1691.1.jpg

Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That photo really does put that monster two hander in context. What a beast.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice photo Michael! They look great together. That XIII sure is a monster.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

I've already told you all of this, but I want to share with the class. Happy

Seeing your work in person was really amazing. You are a truly talented artist. I can't wait to watch and see what you eventually become.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Sep, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Michael,

I've already told you all of this, but I want to share with the class. Happy

Seeing your work in person was really amazing. You are a truly talented artist. I can't wait to watch and see what you eventually become.

I second that having already some of Michael's work and waiting for the sword to arrive.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
William P

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

when i just saw the type XIII i sputtered, i was utterly speechless for a good few seconds, i knew it was big but O.O that is ginormous..
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Sep, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I had the cash for that type XVIII ... truly gorgeous and I actually like the pommel, thin or not it just looks good!
Randy Westgate
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 29 Sep, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A pic taken at Ashokan by Alan Longmire ( attribution ) that he posted on Don Foggs site:
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=21030&st=0

It's another nice pic of Michael's swords in the attachment below. ( It's also in the link above but you have to scroll down to find it, so I added it in the attachment below for convenience )

Attachment: 89.26 KB
[ Download ]

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
J Helmes
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hoard looks great! I wish I could have made it to Ashokan. It was an honour to get a chance to work with you on a project and meeting you in person would have been great.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Pikula hoard traveling from Ashokan
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic