Very Special Antique Hunting Sword
Dear friends, I am new here and I would like to share this with you.

I was able to take photos of this incredible sword.

It seems to be an ancient hunting sword. The blade could be older than the rest.

The workmanship is amazing.

Any more information would be welcome.

Best,

Robert
Hi Robert,
nice to see you here (long time since St chartier!).
It would be perfect as a piper's sword ;)
Anyway, congratulations, it's gorgeous!
Thank you Stephane !
That is an very complex hilt for a hunting sword especially with that thumb ring. I would think that it's more of a hanger for use in combat at close quarters.
It could be a katzbalger. They do have a very similar handle...

Best,

Robert
Robert, Hi my Friend. Glad you "found" us decided the "share"

Jack
I love that sword. I agree with Doug that it is more like a hanger than a hunting sword. (or maybe it is a rehilted hunting sword). With it's thumb ring and other hilt features, I see only a coincidental resemblance to a katzbalger.

It looks like a good sword to have by your side when walking down a late 17th century footpad infested alley.
It's not a katzbalger. It's a sword. Composite. Replaced grip. Just my opinion.
I came up with the strangest idea today:

Imagine a sword, brand new. We're in 1598...

One day the blade gets damaged. The sword is put aside until the next generation... 20 years later, the blade is changed, but is is different from the previous one (shorter, longer, thicker, thinner...).

Then the handle has to be changed? for some reason it isn't exactly the same as the previous one. Then, this sword simply goes out of style say, 70 after it's been made originally.

It "goes to sleep",hung on a castle wall or in it's attic for a hundred and fifty years.

We are now in 1818 ! The sword is completely obsolete but the romantic influence of the time makes it come back out in daylight. The guard, the quillian is not “medieval” enough and remade, careless of the proper use and balance of the sword in it's original function. While they are at it, the handle, or grip, is changed for a second time!

Conclusion : Every thing has been change through time , and the sword, as it is today, is the unpractical avatar of an original prototype lost forever !

Nice story huh ?

Best,

Robert

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: