Fencing has not been discussed too often on myArmoury, so I thought I'd post this here as well, in addition to SFI:

Silver instructs use the Guardant & Open fight with all swords, but a *proper* (point down or backwards) True Guardant appears rather silly with a two-handed weapon. There seem to be two other major options:

I: A "Pendant", a point-foward Hanging guard. Silver does say that these are "imperfect", but it is possible that he was only referring to single sword... The Pendant is also present in, I think, Ledall or Harley.

II: Some kind of a variation of the Tail ward. While this seems rather unlikely, there are two things that make me consider it a viable option: first, a point-forward Guardant is imperfect as it gives the opponent access to one's point, and second, it seems that a Tail ward of some kind was a rather common guard to lie in if the other English texts' "auke blows" are indeed rising cuts.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda leaning towards the first option myself, but Silver's warning against point-forward Guardants still makes me a tad unsure.

Rabbe