german basket hilt pictures needed
i have recently commissioned a german basket hilt of the kind in the attached photo, i have found a very few clear depiction of this kind of sword so i was wondering if someone could help me with some better pics

thanks for help

gabriel

Attachment: 67.99 KB
[ Download ]
Hi-

I'm at work and not near my photo hard drive, so can't share much here. You might, however, be interested in my old topic: Continental Basket-hilts.
Hi Nathan,

i already have exctracted all the photos available from the topic, and from the albums section too,

it is a kind of sword apparently not very present on the web as i have been able to find no more than 4-5 images plus a couple of drawings.
if you have some examples in your photo hard drive i would love to see more when you have some spare time.

thank you for your help
tessaker
Norways museums seem to have the world's share of this type of sword, will try to post a link later, but if you google ''tessak/tessaker'' and '' digitaltmuseum/museet'' you should get at least fifty variants of this type
DIGITALTMUSEUM
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=w...p35DQZEeew

Hope the link works.
Stephen,

what can i say...you are the best! :-)
Glad to be of help - if you hit the ''sok'' button (means ''seek'' in English! ) You'll find dozens of lovely ''tessaker!
some work in progress pics of my sword from Nielo, enjoy!

Attachment: 95.79 KB
PICT0006.JPG

Attachment: 99.83 KB
PICT0005.JPG

Attachment: 91.08 KB
PICT0004.JPG

Attachment: 87.98 KB
PICT0003.JPG

Nice progress! The details are looking good. Do you think the knuckle-bow isn't close to the pommel because the hilt is only loosely attached at this point or is that how it will fit once secure?
i believe that the hilt is just loosely attached now, i have given Michal some exact mesurements about the cage's dimension so i hope that it won't be too large, i believe that he has captured the essence of this kind of sword very well and i'm looking forward to see the project completed.
Is there a "connection of these swords & the "Lowland/English basket hilt ????????

Jack
Jack W. Englund wrote:
Is there a "connection of these swords & the "Lowland/English basket hilt ????????

Jack

Ehn. It's bit more complicated than that. Some information on such development can be found in my schiavona article.
my sword style is peculiar to the central european area, but exported in great quantity also to the scandinavian countries,

an example of a slightly different pattern, that has been wonderfully replicated by E.B.E Erickson for Nathan,

is located in the Museum of Border Arms and Armour in Scotland, so the style was know in Scotland and England too,

the "lowland hilt" has nothing to do with the germanic baskets speaking from a construction method point of view

but has developped almost in parallel with the continental styles,
In answer to Nathan's question about the knuckle bow - having looked at dozens of photos of these swords the bow often didn't reach the pommel, but was hammered back shy of it. Few, if any, were attached to the pommel itself though some may have butted it; the variety of styles seems limitless. I've made a few thus far. Will post some pictures in due course.
Stephen Wheatley wrote:
In answer to Nathan's question about the knuckle bow - having looked at dozens of photos of these swords the bow often didn't reach the pommel, but was hammered back shy of it. Few, if any, were attached to the pommel itself though some may have butted it; the variety of styles seems limitless. I've made a few thus far. Will post some pictures in due course.

I asked because this sword is based on the one in the first topic, which has a distinct shape to its hilt parts.
my sword is almost finished, i have to say that looks great, i believe that Michal has captured the essence of that kind of swordand the proportions weight and measurements are exactly as i have requested

PoB: 9 cm

Weigh: 1.16 kg

Blade length: 86 cm

Whole length: 103 cm

what do you think about?

Attachment: 44.3 KB
iii.JPG

Attachment: 51 KB
e.JPG

Attachment: 60.64 KB
g.JPG

Attachment: 52.15 KB
b.JPG

Attachment: 61.96 KB
aa.JPG

Attachment: 69.04 KB
[ Download ]
That looks nice and it seems that the turnaround time was very quick! Impressive.
yes, very very quick if you consider that Michal has stopped to work at my sword for a couple of weeks of holidays,

probably the quickest custom work that i have experienced,

i have to say also that Michal has documented the entire process with a lot of photos, keeping me updated on a regular basis,

till this point i'm more than satisfied

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: