A couple of new viking axes (works in progress)
I'm in the process of making two new axes. They both need a bit more work. Like filing the outlines smooth. Theyre just rough ground at the moment, so theyre very rough and uneven. Some filework will fix that though. The sockets also need some refining.

The big Dane is 24 cm from poll to edge, and the cutting edge is about 22 cm. It weighs around 800-900 grams, but I havent got an accurate scale, just my bathroom scale, so I dont know for sure.

The bearded axe is 16 cm from poll to edge and the cutting edge is about 14 cm. The blade on that one is thicker than the Danes, so it weighs around 600 grams, despite being significantly smaller.

I think I'll blacken the smaller bearded axe and polish the edge. The dane axe, I think I will heat blue to a dark blue colour, and polish the edge.

Will post more pics when they are finished and hafted. Suggestions for haft length on the bearded axe? I'm thinking one handed fighting axe for axe and shield combo with that one. For the big one, I'll make a haft around 4.5 - 5 feet I think.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
For the bearded axe around a 2 foot haft should be about correct for one handed use.

2 feet gives a fair amount of reach if held near the end of the haft and one can hold it closer to the middle for faster use and for easier use to not tire the hand.

One could also use it two handed at 2' long if one was getting very tired.

5' to 6' for the Danish axe give one enough length ( Mostly at 6' ) to use the butt end ( Queue ) that has no weight on it for fast defensive moves as in the " Le jeu de la hache " that is associated with the later poleaxe techniques that may ( No proof here, just conjecture ) have originated with the Danish or other large head axes on long hafts and become sort of universal for most polearms like Halberds, Partisans, Bardiche, Bills and Glaives.
I agree with about 5 feet for the daneaxe, and bearded one I would give around 75cm (30") haft for a good range so it wouldn't be at a too much of a disadvantage when fighting swords of the viking age...
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I should also give credit to Jim Austin, since the profile of my axes are blatant copies of his. He has an eye for aesthetics that I really love. You can see some of his work here:

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showt...omsearch=1
As stated above two feet is a good length for the bearded axe. As far as handle length for the dane I like to use the rule of thumb that you should be able to comfotrably rest your chin on the top of the haft. This is a good way to have it fit your body size. You can adjust slightly longer or shorter as to fit your preference.

...by the way, great job! they are beauties!
Paul Greathouse wrote:
As stated above two feet is a good length for the bearded axe. As far as handle length for the dane I like to use the rule of thumb that you should be able to comfotrably rest your chin on the top of the haft. This is a good way to have it fit your body size. You can adjust slightly longer or shorter as to fit your preference.

...by the way, great job! they are beauties!

Thanks, Paul.
During the summer, I finally more or less finished these up. I still have to haft the great Dane though.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
This one, I gave away to a lovely girl who does viking reenactment.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: