Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > opinions on Albion Squire line Knightly sword / sharp Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Hargis

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: opinions on Albion Squire line Knightly sword / sharp         Reply with quote

While I've read a favorable review here:
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_slknight.html
I'd like to know if others have had favorable experiences with Albion's Squire Line 13th Century Knightly sword / sharp.

While basic in appearance, there is still a simple elegance to it that I find attractive, but I'm more concerned with it's handling, usefulness and historical accuracy when sharpened.

How much of a compromise is made in sharpening a blade which was not really intended to be sharp?

Is the difference in geometry the actual blade shape and structure?

Or is it really the edge geometry that comes into play when sharpening an edge not meant to be sharp?

Or perhaps both?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Last edited by J. Hargis on Tue 08 May, 2012 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned the sharpened version. I was fine with the edge. The sword cut well, much better than a standard Windlass or Hanwei sharpening job. This is the same blade as on all of other Albion Type XIIs, it's just the Next Gen version spend more time on the slack belt sander getting their edges honed down.

As far as being historically accurate, keep in mind there are roughly an equal number of swords with zero-ground (appleseed) edges and those sharpened to secondary bevels - though the zero-ground edge seems to be the preference for many collectors. This in no way means that a beveled edge is not accurate. Not only was it used, it was just as popular. Happy

I have found that if the beveled edge is well-executed to a proper angle, such as on my own Albion Squire Knightly, the difference in practical cutting performance is not really noticable from my Next Gen Albions or any other sword I own with an appleseed edge. I know that scientifically the dynamics are different, but are they so different that they would be noticable to the average backyard or WMA cutter? I'd say not with a WELL DONE beveled edge.

Of course, if the beveled edge if poorly executed at the wrong angles - it's not going to cut for crap.

My input would be just to buy the sword and try it out. If you do not like the performance, you can always adjust the edge yourself with a hone to match the other Next Gen Type XIIs. It's only a couple hour investment of your time if you have the correct tools, which are obtained easily at any hardware store. IMHO, the Squire Knightly with the Albion sharpening is one of the best performing Type XIIs on the market with a nimble feel in the hand and great cutting ability. It's just a solid little sword for the money and an excellent choice to customize to your liking.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Wed 09 May, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my experience the sharpened blade is fine, as the previous reply states. As regards handling, the only thing I might, eventually, do is to improve/redo the grip. It's not 'bad', but maybe something less smooth (e.g. add risers or whatever) would be better. Aside from that, and the somewhat asymmetric (but probably historically realistic) pommel, I think it really excellent value and compares well with the Albions that I own that are not Squire Line.

Geoff

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > opinions on Albion Squire line Knightly sword / sharp
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic