Museum Replicas Windlass doing licensed CONAN swords
Just saw on the MRL site that Windlass is doing officially licensed Conan swords, the Father and the Atlantean. Prices are mid $200's....always wanted a nice Father sword but could never in a million years afford the 3K price of the Albion ones.....thoughts?
They very closely resemble Marto's Conan line and the parts exhibit the very same deviations from the screen originals. Most of which are just simplifications, along with some outright "errors," but that is to be expected when considering the price point.

It appears that the blades are etched rather than engraved, and of course the parts will be of some pot-metal, as are the lower-end Marto pieces. In effect, these aren't all that different from the $50 Chinese knock-offs you'll find on Amazon, except you're getting a carbon-steel blade. The rest of it is nitpicking that only obnoxious purists like myself could point out to you.

It all just comes down to what makes you happy. Noone else can tell you what that is.
Not obnoxious at all...least to me. I relish hearing deviations/errors from the originals. I was hoping for something really close that was A.) affordable and B.) not made of stainless..................Larry
The fittings are also what would make me hesitate on these pieces.I called their customer service but they could not give me any further info from what is listed.
Eric Meulemans wrote:
They very closely resemble Marto's Conan line and the parts exhibit the very same deviations from the screen originals. Most of which are just simplifications, along with some outright "errors," but that is to be expected when considering the price point.

It appears that the blades are etched rather than engraved, and of course the parts will be of some pot-metal, as are the lower-end Marto pieces. In effect, these aren't all that different from the $50 Chinese knock-offs you'll find on Amazon, except you're getting a carbon-steel blade. The rest of it is nitpicking that only obnoxious purists like myself could point out to you.

It all just comes down to what makes you happy. Noone else can tell you what that is.

I went to both the Windlass and the Museum Replicas websites and could not find any information on the material the fittings are made from. Where did you see they were made from pot metal?
The Knives Illustrated October 2011 issue includes an article by Jerry Ahern featuring the new Windlass Conan line and telling of his visit to their factory. In the article, he states that the hilt components are made of brass......so at least a little better than Marto.
I hope this helps,
Dan
Dan Dickinson wrote:
The Knives Illustrated October 2011 issue includes an article by Jerry Ahern featuring the new Windlass Conan line and telling of his visit to their factory. In the article, he states that the hilt components are made of brass......so at least a little better than Marto.
I hope this helps,
Dan

Thanks Dan. That is good news. Brass is definitely preferable to pot metal.
Dan Dickinson wrote:

Given that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and that various pot metal (die casting) alloys are zinc containing 5-10% copper, one could state that they are "brass" I suppose. Or perhaps this statement itself was a supposition based on their appearance. To me, even in photos, they scream of plated pot metal.

I have no way to confirm or deny their actual composition without having one in front of me, but I'll bet good money that based upon their appearance, changes made to their shaping, and the price point, these are die-cast parts. As far as I can see the Windlass parts look like they came from the same mould as the Martos, which look the same as the knockoffs, so I've no reason to believe they're manufactured any differently.

There are scans of the article mentioned here.
Eric Meulemans wrote:
Dan Dickinson wrote:

Given that brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and that various pot metal (die casting) alloys are zinc containing 5-10% copper, one could state that they are "brass" I suppose. Or perhaps this statement itself was a supposition based on their appearance. To me, even in photos, they scream of plated pot metal.

I have no way to confirm or deny their actual composition without having one in front of me, but I'll bet good money that based upon their appearance, changes made to their shaping, and the price point, these are die-cast parts. As far as I can see the Windlass parts look like they came from the same mould as the Martos, which look the same as the knockoffs, so I've no reason to believe they're manufactured any differently.

There are scans of the article mentioned here.

I don't think zinc alloyed with 5 - 10 percent copper can be correctly called brass. Brass is typically copper alloyed with approximately 25 to 50 percent zinc.

The pictures linked to appear to show the hilt components made from an antiqued gold colored metal. Whether the hilt components are brass or pot metal can't be determined from viewing them.

There is not enough detail in the pictures to determine if they are made from the same moulds as the previously manufactured Marto versions.

Windlass often uses brass in the manufacture of their hilt components.

At this point the metal used to make the hilt components is undetermined. Though at this time I believe the author, having actually handled the swords, is likely the most reliable source for this information.
Hi Eric

Quote:
It appears that the blades are etched rather than engraved,

Haven't all of the versions from any of the producers been etchings on the blades, not engraved? While the two descriptions are often sometimes regarded by some as synonymous, there is a real difference. Please show (for instance) that the Albions were hand engraved blades (or for that matter any of Sampson's original work).

Respectfully

GC
D Garrett wrote:

I don't think zinc alloyed with 5 - 10 percent copper can be correctly called brass. Brass is typically copper alloyed with approximately 25 to 50 percent zinc.

Which is precisely why I wrote "brass" rather than brass. I was suggesting that perhaps they were taking a loose interpretation of the definition. A very loose interpretation. Regardless, I look forward to a definitive statement on the matter of composition.

D Garrett wrote:
There is not enough detail in the pictures to determine if they are made from the same moulds as the previously manufactured Marto versions.

Exactly the same moulds? Maybe not. But they are so close as to be not worth niggling over. Either way, both overall and in their minutiae they are a far cry from the film originals.

Attachment: 85.56 KB
Pommels_compared.jpg

Last edited by Eric Meulemans on Sat 03 Sep, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Haven't all of the versions from any of the producers been etchings on the blades, not engraved? While the two descriptions are often sometimes regarded by some as synonymous, there is a real difference. Please show (for instance) that the Albions were hand engraved blades (or for that matter any of Sampson's original work).

None of the Albion Conan blades were "hand engraved," including the originals. These were done by Daniels Engraving in CA., using the EDM (Electric Discharge Machining) process. This is stated on Albion's own Riddle of Steel diary as well as in Warrior magazine. Production pieces have since been machine engraved, but they are nevertheless engraved, not etched.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: