Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Chevalier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
NJ Sanfrid

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: The Chevalier         Reply with quote

Hi,
does anyone know when The Chevalier from Albion will be available?
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only way to find out is to call up Albion and ask Mike Sigman. It is likely that even he will only be able to give you an estimate.
NJ Sanfrid

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks.
Maybe I should have done that before I paid the deposit... Confused
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a deposit on the Chevalier but could be switched to the Oakeshott, depending on the final version of the Chevalier. My understanding is that the Chevalier is very near completion, in fact, I'm anxiously awaiting the prototype to appear on Albion's website along with an announcement of the prototype. I am very curious to see the pommel to say the least... I've heard nothing but great things about the Oakeshotte as well. It will be a tough call on which to go with... To me, I would expect the handling to be near identical, so it would just be a matter of aesthetics... The grip and pommel of the chevalier certainly seem very interesting and detailed in the drawing. Any day/week now I'm sure....
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both of these are very attractive swords- well I know the chevaliere will be also!

I would love to handle the Oakeshott or indeed the Chevaliere. These weapons, especially the Oakeshott, are so interesting because of questions regalding the historical dating issue. It seems very difficult to date Xa.1. in Records- even given Okeshotts assertion of an approximate date of 1100. Mybe more examples will surface- though none probably of the magnificence of Xa.1.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This morning I completed the final touches on the hilt waxes for the Chevalier.
The only difference to the concept drawing is the shape of the guard.
The drawing shows a bow tie type with cut outs at the ends. This design turned out to be too flimsy and undistinct. A stronger shape was needed to balance the soft lines of the pommel (compare the original illumination that was the inspiration for the design of the hilt: the guard is simply a straight bar that makes the flowershaped pommel stand out).
Final design for the guard became a straight bar with flaring ends with bevels cut in so that the ends stand on diagonal. It is a bit like the bevels cut into the guard of the Burgundian or the Earl.
This shape proved to be a good combination to the criss cross binding of the grip and nice contrast to the bronze flower of the pommel.

Balance of these swords is going to be very similar indeed. The Chevaliere pommel might be ever so slightly heavier (within 10 grams) but the effect will be marginal.
A greater difference is the ergonomic quality of the criss cross bound grip. This is a very firm and secure grip. Some will prefer this while other might prefer the freedom to shift your grip that a smooth grip allows.

Both the Oakeshott and the Chevaliere are very nimble swords.

Now it is a matter to make molds of the originals and get waxes sent to the foundry. As soon Albion receives castings, swords will be built and sent to waiting customers.
Toney Lauffer

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had a Dane on order now for about 6 months. Mike Sigman told me from the start that they were not even finished with designing it yet and that it could be a year or so before they'd be available. The suspense is killing me...
Dave W.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the Chevalier. If it was nearing completion in August, I would assume that by now it was complete, but there aren't any photos on the Albion website. I'm definetly not trying to rush anything if it is not finished, but just very interested as the drawings looked great and it's one of my favourite sword styles.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was on the phone with Mike the other day and he said that Albion had brought the Chevalier to the Vegas show. It's a finished model at this point. I asked why it hadn't yet appeared on the site and he said that it would soon. I suspect Albion is very busy and has not yet had a chance to get the photo-shoot done and put it online just yet.

So, it's coming!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Dave W.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news! I was hoping that somebody made a sword like the one in the Westminster Psalter even before I knew Albion existed. I can't wait to see their take on it.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw it at the Vegas show... I have a picture of the grip as well... It is a nice grip... I'm not sure if I should post a picture of it since they will likely want to post their own for a first impression....

To be honest, I'm just not sure about the bronze flower pommel... I decided to take some time and think about this purchase... Someone at the show did purchase the Chevalier on Thursday, the day before the show opened...

You can chose two different grip colors... the overlying 'zig-zag' portion of the leather can be a different color. They had black and oxblood... It looked nice. There were metal 'dots' as well.

I enjoyed hanging out with Mike and the Albion table/crew...
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did Albion bring any other news to the Vegas show?

Best Regard
Stephan
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To anyone who has handled both swords, how did the difference in pommels feel against the hand when in use. I have held the Oakeshott and it had the most comfortable pommel I have ever felt, whereas I have always had conceren about how the Chevaliers pommel would feel against a bare hand.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To be honest, both grips and pommels felt fine... I know it isn't a detailed description... As I said before, I need time to think about the flower pomel and I'm going to wait until I see some other people's color combinations on the grip (since you pick one color for the main grip and another for the thinner 'zig-zag' leather going over the grip.

I thought there would be a knecht at the show, but apprently only 2 were made and they are being redesigned so that the amount of man hours to complete a knecht are decreased.

I was familiar with all of the other swords Albion brought, but it was nice to see and hold them... I could not believe how the THEGN was so light and perfectly balanced... All of them are nice, it is just a matter of how many you can buy. I'm most excited about the future swords though: The Dane, Maximillian, Markgraf, and upcoming projects... Also hoping Peter and Albion do an XVIIIc and that tall wide XXII !!!

Teaser picture of one color comb of a chevalier grip:

And me with the killer Helm ....

Attachment: 18.97 KB
Chevalier grip.jpg

Attachment: 77.92 KB
[ Download ]
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been sitting on pictures of the Chevalier since before Christmas. Mostly because I have no idea how to get them off my phone. Anyway, it's done and in production and you should be seeing something from Howy on it soon.
-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know someone who's received word that his was just finished. So I suspect you'll be hearing from others who've ordered it soon enough!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I know someone who's received word that his was just finished. So I suspect you'll be hearing from others who've ordered it soon enough!

Yep, it's on the way! Happy

BTW, here's the announcement thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=153093#153093

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my Chevalier yesterday! I opted for green leather base with the light brown strapping. I was concerned if I'd like the type Q pommel, but it is hefty and doesn't feel much different than a type J or K. I'm really impressed with the Xa.1/A.459-style blade!!! Cool The hollow grinding is amazing and the sword is very lively and responsive. The pictures on their website do not do justice to the diamond-shaped cross. If I get done with my "chores" today, I'll try to snap a couple of pics.
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi Steve-

Another toy for your fantastic collection!

I love the cross. It's my favorite part.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Steve, I am green with envy. The cross looks stunning in the photo's so if you say they don't do it justice then it must be truly fantastic.

How comfortable is that pommel. I am starting to get obsessive about this aspect of the sword because after handling the Oakeshott, it has become the benchmark in ergonomics for me, and as much as I would like to I simply can't afford an Oakeshott and a Chevalier.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Chevalier
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: