Modern short sword
I know this is primarily an historically-oriented forum but what the heck...
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
This is a prototype of a new Tactical Shortsword that I will be making. The blade is differentially-tempered 5160 spring steel, handle scales are cocobolo. I imagine that most customers will prefer this with a Black Oxide finish and synthetic scales.
Overall Length: 21-3/4 inches
Blade Length: 16 inches
Blade width @ Base: 1-1/4 inches
Blade Width 6 inches from point: 1-3/8 inches
Blade Thickness @ Base: 1/4 inch
Blade Thickness 1 inches from Point: 3/32 inch
Hilt Overall Length: 5-3/4 inches
Center of Gravity: 2 inches from base of blade
Weight: 20 oz. (1-1/4 pounds)
The full-length distal taper makes this sword lighter and handier than you might expect. The handle is ergonomically designed for comfort, grip retention and intuitive handling. The 5160 spring-steel blade features a cannel grind and design which makes for impressive cutting power- but don't take my word for it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6AM2rI7Qfc
As mentioned above the sword will be available in a Black Oxide finish or as shown with a Bright finish and exotic hardwood or G10 scales.
Very Filipino, in a dahong palay kind of way, except for the handle. This looks much more handle-heavy than the Filipino version (which would balance further out, and be lighter overall). Nice.
Timo Nieminen wrote:
Very Filipino, in a dahong palay kind of way, except for the handle. This looks much more handle-heavy than the Filipino version (which would balance further out, and be lighter overall). Nice.

Oddly when I started out sketching this sword it was much more yataghan-inspired but over the course of a half-dozen sketches it evolved into this- much more Filipino as you say. Not too surprising I suppose given that there are only so many shapes that do a given job well; it was bound to wind up looking like something!
I would be very interested in getting one of these.
Bryce Felperin wrote:
I would be very interested in getting one of these.

PM me for details.
I have personally handled this one. Folks, it's worth it. I'm buying one.
I like that, very much. Very much indeed.
BTW- The first two of these to be offered for sale are up on my website- details here- : http://tinkerswords.com/forsale.html
Looks like I will be buying #1, even if I go negative in the fundage department.
#1 is now sold...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: