Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Black Prince Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: A&A Black Prince         Reply with quote

After reading an interesting thread about the Albion Talhoffer having a good cutting ability, I was wondering if anybody could give me some feedback about the cutting ability of the A&A Black Prince.

I understand that a few of the forum members speak highly of the sword and I was just wanting to ge a little more info on it. From what I understand there have been a few comments on other threads speaking of surprise at how well it can cut for its type. I have read the review and hopefully this week will have a chance to possibly buy one, so was just looking for a little feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_bp.html That's all I know of it.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Terry Thompson

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's deceptive because the blade handles so well. What is lost in blade precence from earlier swords is made-up in speed and control. The sword goes where you want it to, unlike tip heavy swords that tend to scream "swing me at something already!", in the hand the A&A black prince is attentive to where you want it to go. But it's strength really does lie within the thrust.
I am confident in saying; If you're standing 6 feet in front of a target with a coffee cup lid sized circle the middle, you will have no problem spearing it on your first and every try, even if it's the first time you've ever held a sword. I have no doubt with practice, you can spear quarter sized objects with regularity.
The balance on the blade is so good, that it is quite fast even when used one handed. So even though it is not tip heavy, and you don't get a lot of impact from blade weight, you do get a lot of momentum from the speed. It's strangely fast for it's length. Using the second hand for leverage and the slicing ability is not shabby at all.
So, even though it is not the optimal blade for slicing, it does better than you would think from looking at its shape, and I am guessing that is why many people comment on it.
I don't have a lot of swords (7). Some I like to pick-up and admire their shape or how they tell you what they were made for (chopping, thrusting, slicing). But I like holding the BP the best. Unlike other swords that speak to you and are a broken record of "swing me!" "Chop something", "stabbity-stabbity baby!". Upon wrapping your hand around the hilt, it doesn't really speak to me at all. It's silent, but feels like it's ready to do whatever you want it to.
-Terry
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My example here in bronze fittings will be celebrating a decade of use in a few months.Ordered about Thanksgiving (or a little sooner) I received it in a month. One specification missing from some of these reviews is the thickness and distal properties. My spring scale is withoin half an ounce of the review number mentioned above, so I would think my blade is probably what one can expect from these later and updated versions. Starting at six millimeters and ending at four shows very little distal and this makes for a quite stout cross section.

Many have touted other BP versions and XVas as better cutters but consider variation in history as well for the category. XVa swords is never going to be the darling for water filled and empty plastic jugs. I have never handled an Albion XVa Talhoffer or other XVa model from them. I think we will find a slighter cross section might favor the cutting aspect more. It has been a couple of years since I have cut at all (I still feel stumbly fumbly after the stroke). The last time I did cut with it was with tatami (the stiff ones). The sword favors cutting inboard of a perceived COP and fudging in a large draw factor helps make it work. My read on this particular XVa build is that it is capable of cutting but meant also as a better tool as a prybar and joint finder.

The first few days I had this sword, one of the targets began just as a thrusting medium of a leather wellington stuffed with a 2-litre filled with .50 lead balls. Ok then I say, time to see if it does cut. At first frustrated and walking away from it for a bit, I went back with a "classic" XIIIa from Gus Trim that opened up the boot and jug to the depth of the blade (displacing the lead more than cutting). After some adjustment on my part, cuts with the BP in the same medium were quite nearly as deep. This may be retrievable from archive.com and the old www SFI forum board. Someone mentioned somewhere that Cold Steel now uses boots in their videos and if I was any prompt , well, that's cool. I think Jay Barron caught me attacking another boot with a Conyers back in 2002. I have it somewhere in my files but is hiding somewhere. This one with water.

I like my BP and is one I have enjoyed and still appreciate a great deal after several years now liking very light and somewhat sffet spadroons. The BP is a poke n pry type sword at its bet. A very handy and sharp lever.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 52.66 KB
a&abpb.jpg

Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own an Albion Talhoffer, and I love it. However, I don't think it's a particularly good cutting sword. I wouldn't be confident in it's ability to 1 shot and opponent with anything less than an ideal cut. My fencing instructor disagrees with me though. Here is a vid of him cutting with his Tally;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOJgPEnmnxk
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The comparison of the Albion Talhoffer vs the A&A BP is a difference between a passle of XVa offerings on the market now. That was not the case some years ago.

Here is John Clements and the Talhoffer before an adjustment by Albion.

http://www.thearma.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18779

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A&A Black Prince
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic