Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Undergarments for 15-16th century armour? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Undergarments for 15-16th century armour?         Reply with quote

Hello,

For some time I have been using a gambeson (Picture) and a set of padded hose (Picture) as protection for unarmoured fencing, with good results. However, I also have plans for piecing together a suit of late medieval plate armour, and I've read that gambesons had fallen out of favour as undergarments by that point, and had instead been replaced by the thinner arming doublets. With that in mind, would an arming doublet such as this one (Picture) or this one (Picture) be more suitable as undergarments for plate armour than my current gambeson is? All items are made from all-natural fibers to be breathable in, which is quite true -- the gambeson does get hot, but never too hot, and it cools down quickly once you take it off.

However, the arming doublets have a fair bit less bulk to them, weighing in at about two-thirds of the gambeson's weight. Coupled with using a pair of unpadded hose (which I most often see with plate armour) I imagine that the reduction in size and weight can make a pretty noticeable difference in heat retention and my general durability.

Would I be historically correct in using such a doublet in place of a gambeson under a suit of plate armour?
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

in order for your armour to work as it should it should be tight fitting, like a second skin. i highly recomment getting your arming doublet from www.historicenterprises..com , i know plenty of jousters who use them and swear by them. and if there is anyone who knows what an armour has to endure it's certainly them
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The items offered by Historic Enterprises certainly looks like good stuff. Thanks for the recommendation. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Undergarments for 15-16th century armour?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic