Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bronze Age pieces added to collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Bronze Age pieces added to collection         Reply with quote

Hi all,

What with travel, jet-lag, my wife having a trip to the hospital (she's fine), and getting back into the swing of things, it;s been a while since I've posted.

Anyway, I've just added two new pieces to my collection-- both from the Bronze Age Foundry.

The first is a replica of an Irish Middle Bronze Age sword, from the Pitt-Rivers Collection. The hilt-work was done by Paul Binns, and is of elm-wood (which I am told is the most split-resistant wood native to Europe and thusly a fair guess as to the original material used). The disc pommel is of antler. Over all, I think his work is quite good-- it sits in the hand very nicely and emulates the Bronze-Age "look" quite well. The sword itself is a real cutter-- just over 2 lb in weight, but with a hefty blade-presence. The rest of the stats follow:

Total Length: 22.75"
Blade Length: 17.5"
CoG: 5"

The second makes use of a replica of a Middle Bronze Age tanged spear-head from the Arreton Down Horde. While I have yet to take a picture of the whole thing, the spear, from tip to butt is 7' long. This one I did myself (and had a lot of fun in doing it).

Over all, the spear is 7' long, with a shaft of ash. I shaped the shaft itself using a spoke shave, tapering it towards both ends (it is 1" in the centre and tapers down to 3/4" on each end). Again, Paul Binns gave this advice-- archaeological evidence is nigh non-existent for Bronze-Age shafts (or Iron-Age for that matter), but looking at other cultures, he felt the tapered shaft would be a likely one, especially with a lighter spear. One sees the same idea in modern javelins as well. An added bonus is, it doesn't look like a glorified curtain rod. I stained the shaft with some blackberries (simple but effective) and then applied a coat of linseed oil. After affixing the tang into the shaft I wrapped it with wet rawhide which has now tightened in place securing the head from the sides. The balance feels good-- Over all I'm pleased with the look (although at some time in the future I may redo the binding).

There isn't much more I can think to say about that... now I just need a couple of Celtic, Roman, Migration/Viking Era, and (a few more) Medieval pieces and I might be satisified. As it is I am grooming myself in the art of patience (or am being groomed, insofar as I haven't the money to spend now). Perhaps some day soon...

David

Attachment: 18.61 KB
Picture 004.jpg

Attachment: 8.73 KB
Picture 008.jpg

David McElrea

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After some reflection I decided to make some changes to the hiltwork on the bronze sword-- seeing as I posted the original, I thought I would put up the "new look" as well. While I will need to do some polishing, and may add a few extra touches here and there, this is what I have come up with. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out (being an amateur), as I think it duplicates more closely the styles I have seen in hilts from that period. I will include a pic of the hilt as I received it, a pic of the new hilt, and a full pic of the refashioned sword.

I'm sure there is room for improvement, but hey... I'm learning.

David

Attachment: 3.62 KB
Picture 005a.jpg
Before

Attachment: 11.24 KB
Picture 003.jpg
After

Attachment: 27.34 KB
Picture 001.jpg
An Overview
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
After some reflection I decided to make some changes to the hiltwork on the bronze sword-- seeing as I posted the original, I thought I would put up the "new look" as well. While I will need to do some polishing, and may add a few extra touches here and there, this is what I have come up with. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out (being an amateur), as I think it duplicates more closely the styles I have seen in hilts from that period. I will include a pic of the hilt as I received it, a pic of the new hilt, and a full pic of the refashioned sword.

I'm sure there is room for improvement, but hey... I'm learning.

David

How much work did you have to do on the sword metal (e.g. finishing, cold working edges?)? The handle looks good!
Geoff
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 09 Oct, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey David...

Excellent work... I have had one of those BA foundry swords for the last year or so... Still not sure what I am going to do with it yet, but it will involve red coral and amber in some way.

Have you seen this thread over at SFI?

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40069

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Geoff and Kirk,

Thanks for the encouragement-- I haven't done any cold working on the edges as of yet... would have liked to, but don't have the tools or the confidence that I won't ruin the blade. As for finishing, I used files to take out the worst of the pitting, then sand paper, emory cloth and steel wool to bring it to a reasonably neat finish. It was a lot more time consuming (and tiring) than I expected. Happy

With regards to the handle, I mostly worked from patterns I had seen in non-organic hilts (thanks for the link to the other thread Kirk-- I hadn't seen it, but it is fantastic! Also quite encouraging, particularly the Italian piece-- while there are clear differences, it seems I was going in the right direction).

With the handle itself, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with chisel and sand paper, and added some BA-era reversing spirals to the antler pommel (again, amateurish, but I like it).

To finish off, I used (once again) the juice of ripe black berries to give the wood a deep purple/red colour. I will add linseed oil to it sometime in the next couple of days.

Kirk, I look forward to seeing the end result of your project-- I'm sure it will be stunning!

Yours,

David
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Hi Geoff and Kirk,

Thanks for the encouragement-- I haven't done any cold working on the edges as of yet... would have liked to, but don't have the tools or the confidence that I won't ruin the blade.

Yours,

David

It is the cold working that has so far put me off these. I'd have gone for the same two that you did (probably spear first, I can just about manage tanged spears), but I feared wrecking them in an attempt to make the edges more functional. If you ever do it I'd be interested to hear how it works out. I like the use of blackberries. Never thought of those (doh!). I've used walnut and rose hips to colour shafts (and cloth etc.).

Regards
Geoff

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bronze Age pieces added to collection
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic