S.P.Q.R or the Senatus Populus Que Romanus Vendor, thoughts?
Greetings,
I'm considering buying a helmet from this company. Has anyone bought from this company before and are there any reviews of their merchandise? I tried searching on these forums, but couldn't find any information. Please let me know what you know, either through this thread or private message, thank you.

Sincerely,
William
this is the helmet...

http://www.spqr.se/web_eng/medeval_helm_53.shtml
I have done buissness with them and have nothing to complaine about. Good stuff for the money you put in.
Hello,
I appreciate your input. Like I stated, I'm thinking about purchasing this helmet. Is there someone else out there that has this helmet perhaps and could it actually be used for jousting or is it not strong enough???

Sincerely,
William
2mm translates into 18ga-ish. That is way under the protection you are wanting. In WMA stuff, I normally like to have 14ga minimum, so I'd have to say no on that particular helmet. Construction aside, it's simply not thick enough to offer enough protection for your noggin. :)
I've got to disagree JE...2mm translates to just thicker than 14 gauge...so it shouldn't be an issue.
I hope this helps,
Dan
Correct,

2MM in inches = .0787
Take 2MM and divide by 25.4 which is the number of millimeters in an inch.

14 Gauge metal = .0747
13 Gauge metal = .0897
I need to work on my math skills apparently. I had a way different way of calculating that. :lol:

In that case, I'd say order it and see for yourself what the quality is like. :)
For the lazy:

http://www.kitco.com/jewelry/gauge-inch-mm.html
Re: S.P.Q.R or the Senatus Populus Que Romanus Vendor, thoug
William D. B. wrote:
Greetings,
I'm considering buying a helmet from this company. Has anyone bought from this company before and are there any reviews of their merchandise? I tried searching on these forums, but couldn't find any information. Please let me know what you know, either through this thread or private message, thank you.

Sincerely,
William
this is the helmet...

http://www.spqr.se/web_eng/medeval_helm_53.shtml

That helm looks very nice, I've always had a soft spot for the old frog mouths. Are you going to use it for heavy metal jousting? If so, perhaps a custom made helmet is a better fit, otherwise it sure looks good.
I talked to the SPQR guys at Wisby a few days ago. Seems like good fellows to buy stuff from. A couple of years ago one of my friends bought a riveted maille from them. He had some trouble getting replies from them for a special order he wanted, probably they were just very busy at the time, until he simply paid up for the order of a standard product and then they sent it very promptly with no trouble at all.

The helmets SPQR sells that I've examined were solid things, I'd say 2 mm is plenty for any type of hand powered martial activity, I know it's above societywide SCA standard and I don't see thicker standard helmets than these being sold anywhere really. The trick for most of these is rather to get one that fits your head with room for padding as they're pre-made and sometimes smallish (and I have a big head).
Still, again, if it's for jousting perhaps these have special safety standards that need to be followed for the kit to be allowed?

Another good swedish supplier of similar goods is www.nigingbane.se
I don't think they have this specific helmet though they have others that might also be useable, but I could be wrong.
Otherwise Albert at Viaarmorari can probably make just about anything, though I imagine these days his museum quality helms fetch a rather higher pricetag.

BTW regarding sheet metal thickness, most standard 2 mm sheet avaialable in europe is 2.052 when it's lazily called "2 mm" when you buy it, because it's standardised after the American 12 gauge.

But, as most armourers know, when you work plate it gets thinner unless you travel the thickness from the edge in to the surface you're bowling out. Since most armourers don't bother with that nowdays that means a helmet is usually a little thinner at the center of the bowl than at the edge. Measuring any helmet to 2 mm therefore becomes a bit tricky and usually referes to the original plate thickness before production, corresponding with something like 1.8-1.7 mm at the thinnest sections. On the other hand so do most rules in the matter also.

Anyway, that isn't an issue with this helm I think. This specific helm type isn't made from one piece and would not have all that much thinning at all except at the back of the head where the plate is stretched the most.
Thank you everyone for your input,so i noticed that this helmet has padding as well, I would love nothing more for this to be wearable for jousting, not sure if it would stand up to it though, 14 gauge seems like it would, but I could be wrong.

Sincerely,
William
ok,
after a little research, the minimum requirement under SCA Rules and regulations for jousting is an 18 gauge minimum, so unless someone tells me otherwise, This helm would be very good for Jousting. Just hoping the Quality is good. Johan, do you have a contact number for them or email , I'd like to talk with them

William

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: