Go to page Previous  1, 2

On your next sword purchase, what will the blade type be?
Oakeshott Type X or Xa
15%
 15%  [ 55 ]
Oakeshott Type XI or XIa
2%
 2%  [ 7 ]
Oakeshott Type XII or XIIa
10%
 10%  [ 36 ]
Oakeshott Type XIII, XIIIa or XIIIb
8%
 8%  [ 29 ]
Oakeshott Type XIV
5%
 5%  [ 19 ]
Oakeshott Type XV or XVa
6%
 6%  [ 22 ]
Oakeshott Type XVI or XVIa
6%
 6%  [ 23 ]
Oakeshott Type XVII
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Oakeshott Type XVIII, XVIIIa, XVIIIb, XVIIIc, XVIIId or XVIIIe
22%
 22%  [ 77 ]
Oakeshott Type XIX
5%
 5%  [ 18 ]
Oakeshott Type XX or XXa
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Oakeshott Type XXI
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Oakeshott Type XXII
0%
 0%  [ 3 ]
An unclassified type
11%
 11%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 349

On the first day of the poll Type XVIII was the leader by a long, long way. I recalled Oakeshott's assertion that the type can be found from ancient times through the 16th c. Also one of the most-reproduced types, so it's no surprise that so many expect to buy one in some form.
My choice was an easy one because I have a sword commission with A&A for a Type XIX blade.

I am surprised to see the number of other Type XIX blades in the results!
Choice of blade
Mine too - same reason as Nathan.

A type XIX blade for an Irish styled longsword by Tinker Pearce

mike
My next purchase will either be a training sword so I can finally start taking some longsword classes, or a katana. (I have two that I want but can't quite decide which one I'd like the most. )

After that, I was hoping to save up enough to start my dream custom project, which is for a contemporary design of my own creation that doesn't fit the Oakeshott typology at all.

Colt Reeves wrote:

1. The bling. I don't like the look of it.

How different we are. The bling factor is pretty much the only reason I'd even consider buying one of those.

(Though, if we're talking A&A, I'd sooner take the German Branch Sword.)
I'm still hoping somebody will do that huge XXII someday.... looks like an incredible sword. Peter's illustration in the Albion catalog of the XXII is phenomenal...
Next sword (and the first sword to start rebuilding my collection after a grievous set of bills...) will be an XIIIb from Gus. As soon as I can gather funds, an XIIIb.1 from Tried and True will be headed my way, hopefully with some leather work from Sonny's CSS.
Well, I guess it's fitting that this is my first post on these forums. Hello, everyone!

I voted for XV / XVa because I fell in love with Albion Swords' Talhoffer the moment I saw the review on this site—which is to say, the moment I saw Bill Grandy's gorgeous pictures of it. For some reason I just feel that it would fit perfectly in my hands, and even sitting here looking at it I can imagine the way it would balance. I've always had a thing for dangerously thin blades, and the Talhoffer just looks like it's could lay you open at the gut with barely a flick.

Of course, a more practical sword might be Albion's Liechtenauer so that I can practice without slicing chunks from myself. It's not technically classified as a type because it's a practice sword, but since Albion lists it as an appropriate equivalent for a Talhoffer, I suppose it could feasibly be classified the same, even if the geometry is that of a blunt, not a sharp.

Either of these would be the first sword I've owned, since I've yet to build up enough cash to really start a fine collection. From the moment I saw Albion I knew that I wanted to own one of their swords, and I'll save for as long as I must to get one.

And with regards to the 'Bling Factor' discussed on previous pages, the Talhoffer should be an indication that I prefer something utilitarian. Cleanliness of form and line have always been very attractive to me in a sword. The pictures below exemplify what I mean. The steel nearly looks like glass!

[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]
My vote is for Type XV / XVa, because this is the sword I'm making currently.
And although I have another favorite types (XVIII and XIX being just few of them), I've always been fascinated by the slender and elegant lines of the XV's.

As a source I use this one
http://www.zornhau.de/wordpress/wp-content/ga...-gross.jpg

and its data-sheet
http://www.zornhau.de/wordpress/wp-content/up...tZEF07.pdf

found at the page of the Zornhau - Thanks a lot, guys! You really do an amazing work!

Till now, I've almost finished the blade, except with the fuller.

Edit: The fuller is completed, the blade is roughly finished and ready to be hardened

[ Linked Image ]
My next sword is going to have a Type XVI blade - a Valiant Armoury "Bristol".
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: