Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next 
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Randall,

The interpretation is not entirely based on the images from von Danzig. The *text* is specific in saying that the sword is *on* the right shoulder. The folks from Ochs, as well as Stefan Dieke, pointed out the distinction in the text to me. The text says:

Do it like this: stand with your left foot forward and hold your sword on your right shoulder or with outstretched arms up over your head, and stand thus in the guard.

Incidentally, when translated perfectly literally, that's what Ringeck says too. My bad!! That means that the two families of texts describing that version of vom Tag both agree it's on the shoulder. Not 'at', but 'on'.

The reason for this becomes very obvious when practiced. This position eliminates any possibility of rearing back and telegraphing the stroke. Any such backward movement is an empty tempo for your opponent to exploit. A similar idea seems to be intended in Paulus Kal's over the head variant of vom Tag: the sword is held vertically, so the most instinctual movement will be to drop it forward, rather than initially rearing back when held in a more backward inclined position.

Regarding the drawing of Pflug, this too is quite purposeful. Late Medieval artwork often exaggerates body positioning to stress a point. The idea being conveyed is one of the sword being strongly 'pre-loaded' at the hip so that, again, any movement to thrust will include only the intended movement, with no instinctive pulling back to charge the thrust.

I can't agree with your analysis about the orientation of edges and the on the shoulder positioning of vom Tag; in fact, the opposite is quite true: the shouldered position tends to yield a much more 'oblique' encounter with the edges, rather than a 90 degree impact (which isn't likely in either variant).

The best advice I can give is to try to do, as much as is humanly possible, to do the posture in von Danzig as precisely as one can; those drawings contain a wealth of kinesthetic information regarding body position, weighting, focus and targeting. One could give an entire seminar on just those drawings quite easily.

In any case I think this whole issue is largely a straw man, and a pretty tired out one to boot. It's also much obfuscated by the use of the word parry - there are no parries in German medieval treatises in the modern movie sense of the word. Some techniques from the German corpus yield edge to edge contact, some edge to flat, with the majority involving oblique contacts that are neither and both. The masters are silent on all of this, largely because the idea of worrying about nicking your edge in a life and death encounter is akin to worrying about scratching your car's paint after surviving a near-fatal crash. I've performed all the primary techniques - none of which create theatrical-style 90 degree impacts - with blunts and with sharps, and I remain unfazed by this being something anyone should seriously be worried about. I too bouted with steel swords at WMAW, and with Brian Price and Guy Windsor at that (who's a marvelous combatant, and most excellent gentleman, to face) and my swords look just fine.

All the best,

Christian

PS. I heard you were at WMAW...you should have introduced yourself! I don't know your face, so I didn't know who to look for.

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Last edited by Christian Henry Tobler on Sun 15 Apr, 2007 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Bill

I want to start off by saying at this time that I am enjoying this discussion and that nothing I say is intended to insult or cause hard feelings of any kind. If the discussion appears heated at times just know that it is from the passion I have of there arts, not from animosity or contempt. I assume the same of you. I enjoyed my encounters with you and your students at the WMAW 2006 event and hope to repeat the experience at future events. My one regret from that event was not knowing at that time about Guy's position on this issue. I would have very much enjoyed a hands-on disucssion with Guy.

Oh, agreed! I've been trying to word my points so that they don't sound inflammatory, and I don't know if I've been succeeding or not, but let me go ahead and point out that everything I've said has either meant to be read in a calm voice, or occasssionally an emphasised voice when I'm trying to highlight a certain point, but nothing intended to be angry or upset.

Quote:
I must also point out that I speak only for myself. I do not speak for ARMA or any of its members.

This is also why I wanted to make sure that I'm not trying to be anti-ARMA, or anti-John Clements. I have great respect for any group that is trying their best to recreate these historical arts, even if I don't always share the same views. Heck, that's how it is in any research field. Happy

My main point in this whole argument is simply that we can't make a blanket statement when there is evidence that shows in some cases there are exceptions.

Quote:
I think the reason I appear to be missing your point has to do with a number of differences between the interpretations of ARMA scholars and the interpretations of other scholars, such as yourself. A major difference that I observed at the WMAW event in October 2006 was in how the Vom Tag guard is held.

Hmmm... that's an interesting point, and one I hadn't thought of. Even still, however you hold the sword I don't see how you can do that technique without edge to edge contact while still obeying what the masters say. From Ringeck:

Quote:
If you are in vom Tag and he strikes a Zwerchhau above you, immediately strike a Zornhau with strength against his sword and find an opening to strike with the point.

Could you be more specific in how you do this? The only possible way I can see this hitting the flat and pushing downwards, which is not what I would call a zornhau... it would be more of a mutated krumphau. I don't suppose you have any video of this? Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:
Another example is the Zornhau to Zornhau counter. If both Zornhaus are thrown from Vom Tag in front of the chest then it will indeed result in an edge-on-edge impact. However, if both Zornhaus are thrown from Vom Tag over the shoulder then it will result in an edge-to-flat impact.

I very much agree here, and I perform my zornhau, from the shoulder, in an almost vertical line to the head, which generally results in my flat taking the blow. Though the reason I do this has more to do with the fact that it is the shortest distance to perform that strike in a straight line, which incidently allows a flat parry.

Quote:
Before attending the WMAW event I, like most ARMA members, believed that edge-on-edge parries were something that people in other groups did occasionally. However, at the WMAW event I oberserved an enormous amout of edge-on-edge impacts.

Well, to be fair, there were a large variety of groups from different backgrounds at WMAW, which is the purpose of the event: To get people from all over to talk shop. Happy It isn't a gathering of one group or one philosophy, but of several. I observed some fantastic fencing that weekend, and I observed some things that left me scratching my head. But the same is true of any large gathering of groups. Even in my experiences with ARMA members, I've met some spectacular fencers, and I've met some who left something to be desired. Heck, some of my students are great, but I get some who take lessons from me then don't follow anything I taught them. Eek! Happy

Christian Tobler wrote:
In any case I think this whole issue is largely a straw man, and a pretty tired out one to boot. It's also much obfuscated by the use of the word parry - there are no parries in German medieval treatises in the modern movie sense of the word.

Yes my friend, I'm going to have to agree with all of that. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I can certainly agree that if you bash two sharp edges together it will damage both swords. I don't think anyone can really dispute that, especially if they do a few tests. And I agree that standing there, sticking the sword in the way of an incoming cut, and then just standing there some more is not really the best mode of defense and is not advocated by anyone.

But simply placing the sword in the way of the incoming weapon's arc is a common and effective way of keeping it from cutting the intended target, which is you. What you do after this action is what makes it effective in a tactical sense. The classic parry-riposte action is found in every single Western fencing system I have ever studied. In some systems, like the Lichtenauer tradition or the Italian rapier, it is discouraged for specific reasons. But in many other systems the classic parry riposte is used quite liberally without any condemnation, such as Fiore. Fiore especially illustrates a static parry when entering into the Stretto, there really is no other way to safely do it. To say that defensive parry actions are never used in Longsword is just plain silly, as is saying that the edge was never used in a defensive manner (and I don't think that John Clements or his articles are saying that at all).

The question really is, why would you want to use the edge or the flat of the sword to make any defensive action? If you had a magic sword that could never be damaged would you use the edge or the flat to make defensive actions with it? Are we learning techniques and actions based on what might damage the sword, or what might be the best tactical option for us to make? Can we specifically work out techniques around what is best for our sword's edge, or what is best for keeping us alive? Are there systems that ever even mention damaging the sword (Viggiani is one that comes to mind)?

I can't remember a single historical manuscript other than Viggiani that even mentions damaging the sword at all. And he mentions that his universal parry could possibly break the opponent's sword, and this is contacting edge to edge, middle to debole. No early text really says anything about doing something a specific way to avoid notching your edge. Now, this may have been just common knowledge, but it seems strange that people have to be told this now but it was not in need of discussing at the time in question. Maybe nobody cared if their swords got dinged up at all, they just went and got it fixed or bought a new one. There is enough historical evidence that swords broke and were damaged to think that maybe they were more disposable than they are today. There is also the intended use of the weapons, in combat, against axes, spears, shield rims, helmets, mail, plates, and who knows what else. I can't really accept that the one thing you were worried about with all these other more likely damaging elements around was the edge of another sword.

But I am not privy to any information anyone else who has studied European Sword Arts is not, and I'm no authority on the subject. I certainly would never say that the edge was always used when making defensive actions all the time, just like I would never say the opposite. but I can say that I strongly disagree with anyone making the argument that certain things should be done a certain way based solely on the criteria that it might damage the edge of the sword otherwise. If I can be shown why in terms of tempo or leverage it will provide an advantage to me I might take a look at it and consider such actions. I have not trained with or really seen any of the ARMA methods in this regard, and I have nothing against taking a look at exactly how they preform actions with the flat of the sword in a defensive manner. If anyone wants to post some examples, I would love to see it.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Zeman wrote:
I can't remember a single historical manuscript other than Viggiani that even mentions damaging the sword at all.

Thibault also mentions the risk of having your own sword broken, in his chapter about how to parry cuts:
Quote:
The old way of parrying a cut, is to put the strong of the sword in front of your head, raising the point, in order to receive the full force of the blow on the strong or around the guard. This is very dangerous and the cause of many inconveniences; for example, the Adversary could wound you by pushing forcefully your sword down, or break it into pieces; [description of some other tactical disavantages of the position follows]

Unsurprisingly, he advocates another method that redirects the blow and wounds with a thrust at the same time, very similar in fact to what Fabris also says, as far as I understand.

He also makes an observation of the same kind in one of his chapters on rapier versus longsword, saying that meeting the power of the longsword in a static block would likely break the rapier.

Overall he is more concerned about a static block causing a definitive break, and being a bad tactical choice, rather than about getting nicks in the blade... Makes sense in a dueling or self defence context, I suppose. Breaking your sword could mean instant defeat, damaging the edge is not so serious, even if it could mean fatigue failure over a long time it would still allow you to win a fight. Even more so with a rapier, given the specific edge geometry...

Regards

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These questions are not intended to start trouble or to cast accusations. I am extremely interested in the answers:

1. How many people on the "use the flat" side of this debate are martial arts practicioners (as in physial practicioners, not only researchers)?

2. How many people on the "use the edge (or just use whatever)" side are practicioners?

3. How many people on the "flat" side are members of ARMA? (I ask this because I personally have never seen a member of ARMA publicly disagree with John Clements...not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it).

I think the answers to these questions can tell us something. Maybe a poll of some sort is in order?

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Thibault, although I have talked to a few people that study his work. One thing that surprises me about his statement, as posted above, is that plenty of Masters before him advocate stopping parries doing exactly what he says not to do, which is to take the attack on the strong of the blade in a stopping parry action (Silver to name one).

In Suio Ryu, the koryu which I am a scholar, we actually do use the shinogi, or flat of the blade to make defense against a cut, sometimes in a stopping parry, sometimes in a deflection. However I was taught never to use the edge, but only the shinogi. One thing that is key here, is that the hand position is specifically shifted to make the parry, instead of the fingers aligning with the edge they align with the flat on the hilt. This is to make the parry as biomechanically strong as possible. However, we do have several "Zornhau" type parries, that literally cut into the attacking blade edge to edge. Generally due to the angle and timing the flat of the attacking blade is met with the edge of the defending blade. So I don't think that using the flat of a blade is ineffective at all, in fact it seems the preference in many JSA systems. I don't think that using the edge in the same manner is all that detrimental either, especially when you are talking about using the forte.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

I've given examples that are not "stiffling actions" that are done with the edge. But then again, perhaps we aren't discussing the same thing when we say "parry". I'm talking about any defensive action using the blade. Maybe I'm assuming something about the way John is defining a parry? I was assuming that the article included defensive beats against an attack, for example. The krumphau is stated to be used with the long edge against an unterhau, followed by an attack to the head with the short edge. Would this be considered a parry? I ask, because if actions such as that are not being considered "parries", then that changes the discussion quite a bit.

Neither a stifling action nor a Krump constitute a parry. For one thing, both are applications of the principle of Indes, which is one of the key part of the long sword in the German tradition as you know. Both require you to be active and pre-empt your opponent's action. Similarly, both actions equip you for an immediate follow-up action; in the case of the Krumphau, a nearly simaltaneous short edge cut, and stifling allows you to engage in ringen.

In contrast, a parry is a passive action where you line your sword up properly and then wait for the other guy's weapon to strike against yours. Performed well it will re-direct your opponent's sword away towards the ground, but it does not necessarily place you in a position to follow up as immediately with an offensive action, and theoretically, your opponent might able to remain am schwert at the bind.

The fact that a parry is a passive action and one that does not necessarily allow you to maintain the initiative in the fight puts it in a different category from the other two options.

Quote:

I wish someone could invent a time machine and ask them, personally. Happy Joking aside, I don't think they specifically advocated edge parries, I think they advocated effecient martial actions that ultimately kept the user alive, and sometimes that involved using the edge against the edge. Simple as that. Case in point, a counter against the zwerchau from vom Danzig:

"Note, when he strikes with the Thwart from his right side to your left side above to the head, then parry with the long edge and keep the point before his chest. " It then goes to describe the opponent taking off to perform another zwerchau on the other side, and you performing your own underneath. The second portion of this will end up receiving your opponent's edge on your flat. But there's no deny the first part: Use your long edge to stop the oncoming zwerchau. I didn't write that, it's in vom Danzig.

Yes, but that doesn't tell you what your long edge is connecting with. It says use the edge, but it doesn't specify that you need to use your edge against his.

Quote:

How so? It doesn't violate that rule any more than a flat parry would. For example, let's say I did an edge to edge parry with a zornhau against a zornhau as I strike my opponent, then did the same using the flat. (And I'll go ahead and say that I do advocate the flat in this scenario). Aside from the fact that one might be more likely to damage the sword, neither violates the idea of loathing the one forced to defend.

No, it doesn't violate Liechtenauer's rule any more than a flat parry would. Both are bad according to the German fencing tradition. However, I would argue that while both are bad, of the two, a static edge parry would be worse. Apart from badly damaging your sword, your blade could "stick" against his, putting you into a position where neither he nor you have the initiative. At least a well executed parry puts you in a good position to seize the initiative, and won't make your edge fail in the process.

Last edited by Craig Peters on Sun 15 Apr, 2007 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill,

Also, how would a long edge parry against his the edge of his Zwerch allow you to successfully execute the technique that von Danzig is describing?
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
but I don't understand this example because if you go zornhau vs. zwerchau it seems to me the edge is hitting the flat... unless you are aiming at each others swords instead of at each other, and that is not how you are supposed to do a miesterhau...

Bill Grandy wrote:

Who says you never strike against the sword? Certainly not Liechtenauer, or Ringeck, or the authors from the von Danzig manuscript, or any other master within the Liechtenauer tradition. Happy

And not me either... I guess I'm in good company since i never said that....???

Quote:

(and by the way, I intentionally used examples where one might striking the flats, as I want it to be clear that I do in fact advocate flat parries and edge to flat parries, provided that 1) the historical masters said to do so, and 2) the tactical situation makes this possible)

Yeah thats where I was getting confused I guess. From my experience striking zwerch vs. zorn or vice versa, you usally do catch their sword (unless you beat them in timing by a wide margin, i.e. you were really in the Vor) You meet their blade ideally with your strong, but you don't always get even that much precision. But it seems to me in that case, you are striking perpendicular to his strike, so your edge is hitting his flat.

I mean, I'm sure not at a perfect 90 degree angle, but close enough to that.

I don't see in fact hardly any cases where you would want to parry 100% with the flat OR 100% with the edge, but I tend to see what look closer to flat parries, either you cutting into their flat or vice versa, than hard edge vs. edge parries.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

Neither a stifling action nor a Krump constitute a parry.

I'm actually glad you said that. This means we're talking about two different things, then. I have interpreted the "no-edge parries" argument to mean that there are no defensive actions where the edge meets the other edge. If those are not considered parries in this argument, then we're coming much closer to an agreement.

Quote:
Similarly, both actions equip you for an immediate follow-up action;

Well, technically so does any proper parry. Happy

Quote:

In contrast, a parry is a passive action where you line your sword up properly and then wait for the other guy's weapon to strike against yours. Performed well it will re-direct your opponent's sword away towards the ground, but it does not necessarily place you in a position to follow up as immediately with an offensive action, and theoretically, your opponent might able to remain am schwert at the bind.

Again, it seems then we've been arguing different things, then. This is how the term "parry" is used in the classical definition (i.e. any defensive action used with the blade). So in the definition you provide here, I agree totally, and purely defensive actions should be avoided. But if that's your definition of a parry, then I don't see why there's a debate at all about edge or flat: You just shouldn't do purely defensive parries of any kind, making the entire debate moot.

Quote:

Yes, but that doesn't tell you what your long edge is connecting with. It says use the edge, but it doesn't specify that you need to use your edge against his.

If someone is striking with a zwerchau, which is travelling in a horizontal plane with its long edge towards me, and I'm supposed to do a zornhau to stop his blade with the long edge, I don't see how it is physically possible to strike the flat... unless if your interpretation of a zornhau is very different from mine. And maybe it is? This is why I asked Randall if he had a video of what he was talking about, because the only way I can see striking the flat is to modify the zornhau to the point where it isn't really a zornhau anymore.

Quote:

No, it doesn't violate Liechtenauer's rule any more than a flat parry would. Both are bad according to the German fencing tradition. However, I would argue that while both are bad, of the two, a static edge parry would be worse. Apart from badly damaging your sword, your blade could "stick" against his, putting you into a position where neither he nor you have the initiative. At least a well executed parry puts you in a good position to seize the initiative, and won't make your edge fail in the process.

Well, that isn't what you said originally. You said edge parries don't jive with the idea of "loathing those forced to defend". Seeing as a correct edge parry (in the classical definition) should always lead into an attack (either in the same tempo, or at least immediately following the defense), then this quote isn't related to what we're talking about.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Bill,

Also, how would a long edge parry against his the edge of his Zwerch allow you to successfully execute the technique that von Danzig is describing?

Because that's what the von Danzig text says to do, based on the definition of a zornhau and a zwerchau. How else would you do this?

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Last edited by Bill Grandy on Sun 15 Apr, 2007 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

but I don't understand this example because if you go zornhau vs. zwerchau it seems to me the edge is hitting the flat... unless you are aiming at each others swords instead of at each other, and that is not how you are supposed to do a miesterhau...

Bill Grandy wrote:

Who says you never strike against the sword? Certainly not Liechtenauer, or Ringeck, or the authors from the von Danzig manuscript, or any other master within the Liechtenauer tradition. Happy

And not me either... I guess I'm in good company since i never said that....???

??? You said, "Unless if you are aiming at each others swords instead of at each other, and that is not how you are supposed to do a meisterhau..." So I simply provided examples of sometimes where you do strike the blade. I agree that you shouldn't be wasting your time chasing the sword (which Liechtenauer clearly says not to do), but there are instances where you do have to strike the blade first (and strongly, for that matter) before you are safely able to perform the offense.

Quote:

(and by the way, I intentionally used examples where one might striking the flats, as I want it to be clear that I do in fact advocate flat parries and edge to flat parries, provided that 1) the historical masters said to do so, and 2) the tactical situation makes this possible)

Yeah thats where I was getting confused I guess. From my experience striking zwerch vs. zorn or vice versa, you usally do catch their sword (unless you beat them in timing by a wide margin, i.e. you were really in the Vor) You meet their blade ideally with your strong, but you don't always get even that much precision. But it seems to me in that case, you are striking perpendicular to his strike, so your edge is hitting his flat.[/quote]

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, here. Happy Once again, I'm not disagreeing that there are plenty of examples where you need to use the flat, or strike the flat with the edge. I've never once argued in my entire life against that. All I'm saying is that the texts we're interpreting show examples that sometimes do include edge to edge defenses. That's all.

Quote:

I don't see in fact hardly any cases where you would want to parry 100% with the flat OR 100% with the edge, but I tend to see what look closer to flat parries, either you cutting into their flat or vice versa, than hard edge vs. edge parries.

Well, I generally don't see true 100% edge or flats in most cases, either. But there clearly are cases where your edges will make contact when making defensive actions, and because of this, we can't definitively say that there are no edge parries in longsword.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Zeman wrote:
I'm not familiar with Thibault, although I have talked to a few people that study his work. One thing that surprises me about his statement, as posted above, is that plenty of Masters before him advocate stopping parries doing exactly what he says not to do, which is to take the attack on the strong of the blade in a stopping parry action (Silver to name one).

This is true, and it could mean that the matter was not that clear even back then... Maybe also because Silver's blade was not completely similar to that of Thibault. I do see the tactical advantage of the deflection/counter thrust method, though, and it seems that Fabris was clearly in its favour as well. I'll have to check, but I think that Sainct Didier also does a somewhat similar counter.

It's interesting that you mention Japanese koryus, because I used to be totally convinced that you should never use your edge before starting studying katori shinto ryu, and have since been compelled to mitigate my opinion... There are plenty of edge on edge contact in this school. Sometimes very strong contact, for example in a parry where you hold statically the blade in front of your head, supporting it with your left hand (tori). Sometimes lighter, more dynamic contacts like the "Zornhau" type parries you describe. Of course, for each of those actions, there is a version where you hit the opponent instead of his weapon, and this would be the preferred option in a fight. However I suppose that the "parry" versions would be used if you are out of distance or timing...

Maybe the idea would also be that the opponent, seeing that he is going to hit edge on edge, would control his blade instead of risking to break his blade? A matter of acceptable risk, but with weapons of similar quality there would be 50% odds of breaking each blade, as an attacker I would not necessarily chance it.

Another aspect in which I'm interested, since I never trained with steel european blades, is the "bounce" you could get when parrying with the flat. Is it not disturbing to get a good part of the shock transformed into vibrations? Is it possible to control efficiently the opposing blade, to make a follow up action, or does it bounce back? How much of your "sentiment du fer" do you loose when statically blocking with the flat?

Regards

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

If someone is striking with a zwerchau, which is travelling in a horizontal plane with its long edge towards me, and I'm supposed to do a zornhau to stop his blade with the long edge, I don't see how it is physically possible to strike the flat... unless if your interpretation of a zornhau is very different from mine. And maybe it is? This is why I asked Randall if he had a video of what he was talking about, because the only way I can see striking the flat is to modify the zornhau to the point where it isn't really a zornhau anymore.

In my interpretation of this technique, my zornhau meets the opponents blade at longpoint so that my blade lies along top of his flat. The edges still meet but at a very oblique angle such that the edges shold not bite into each other, not that this is the point.

A situation where very strong edge contact occurs would be when a zwerchau is cut agaist another zwerchau.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, here. Happy Once again, I'm not disagreeing that there are plenty of examples where you need to use the flat, or strike the flat with the edge. I've never once argued in my entire life against that. All I'm saying is that the texts we're interpreting show examples that sometimes do include edge to edge defenses. That's all.

Yeah you will hit their sword, but you don't aim at their sword. In a miesterhau you aim at them, or more specifically in most cases you are imply transitioning from one guard to another guard, like vom tag to long point or wrath to right ochs. You may hit their sword in the process, and if you chose the right attack then your sword should block their line of attack as you are cutting them. But I just felt that unless you are specifically aiming at their sword (which you shouldn't do) that contact will basically be edge to flat.

When y'all talk about zorn hitting zwerch edge to edge that sounds more like you are maybe both stepping offline and aming at each others swords....?

Quote:

Well, I generally don't see true 100% edge or flats in most cases, either. But there clearly are cases where your edges will make contact when making defensive actions, and because of this, we can't definitively say that there are no edge parries in longsword.

I wouldn't argue with that, I'm just not sure about intentional hard edge vs edge contact. I'll still obviously rather chip or even break my sword than get cut, and can certainly see it happening in desperation, but I haven't seen specific examples yet in longsword fencing manuals anyway, where you are supposed to displace or parry in such a way that you do that. Not saying that doesn't exist I just haven't seen it.

BD

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah you will hit their sword, but you don't aim at their sword. In a miesterhau you aim at them, or more specifically in most cases you are imply transitioning from one guard to another guard, like vom tag to long point or wrath to right ochs. You may hit their sword in the process, and if you chose the right attack then your sword should block their line of attack as you are cutting them. But I just felt that unless you are specifically aiming at their sword (which you shouldn't do) that contact will basically be edge to flat.

Okay, I think we're having a semantics misunderstanding, then. Such is the nature of online forums. So, to be clear, we both agree that you will in some cases have to make defensive blade contact first before making the offensive manuever immediately afterwards, correct?

[quote]When y'all talk about zorn hitting zwerch edge to edge that sounds more like you are maybe both stepping offline and aming at each others swords....?[quote]

Kind of... The strike comes from my left, so I spring off forward and to the right as I defend. I strike a zornhau with the long edge at the oncoming attack (as the text says to do) and either immediately thrust over as a mutiere (if the opportunity is there), or if the opponent has quickly redirected the attack to the other side, I perform a zwerchau underneath the oncoming strike.

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't argue with that, I'm just not sure about intentional hard edge vs edge contact. I'll still obviously rather chip or even break my sword than get cut, and can certainly see it happening in desperation, but I haven't seen specific examples yet in longsword fencing manuals anyway, where you are supposed to displace or parry in such a way that you do that. Not saying that doesn't exist I just haven't seen it.

BD

Well, I'm not saying hard 90 degree stopping angles either (at least, not in longsword). I'm just saying that sometimes there are defenses where the edges will strike together. That's it.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:

In my interpretation of this technique, my zornhau meets the opponents blade at longpoint so that my blade lies along top of his flat. The edges still meet but at a very oblique angle such that the edges shold not bite into each other, not that this is the point.

Hmmm... I'm not seeing it. Wish we lived closer and could get together to work this out (and then go for drinks afterward, naturally. Happy )

Let me try to see if I'm understanding this right. My opponent strikes a zwerchau at me. You strike a zornhau so that you are in longpoint over his blade? Are you meeting at the weak of his blade? If so, what prevents him from performing a change through to the lower opening? Or what if he was targeting the lower opening to begin with? I'm not asking to be argumentitive, I genuinely don't understand what you're describing (because what I'm visualizing is quite a leap from what the text says).

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:

Yeah thats pretty much how i see it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbH_bqx1fCM

In this video at 1:18 I mistakenly zwerch against his zwerch and our blades meet edge to edge, but this was the incorrect counter, I should have done a zornhau or transitioned to left side pflug, and he would have hit my flat. So by using bad form I got an edge to edge contact. ( It's still better than being cut though Eek! )

At 1:22 you can see where I correctly strike a zwerch into his zorn, and I actually displace his sword by meeting at his weak with my strong, my edge is hitting his flat almost exactly perpendicular, at the same time that I strike him on the shoulder.

At 1:33 My opponnt is doing a zwerch and I'm doing a zorn from a tail guard, and again his edge hits my flat as I'm simultaneously cutting his arm, though at a more oblique angle.

As I understand it, ideally a perfect miesterhau of this type should actually cut the other guy even as it protects you, the thrust is for a follow up if your measure or distance was slightly wrong, or he was just more cautious. If you do it correctly you should be getting something close to an edge to flat contact.

BD

P.S. By the way, I know that my footwork was totally screwed up in those clips Blush i know people are going to comment on that anyway.

Nicholas Zeman

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I assume since you guys are pretty dedicated Lichtenauer scholars that the spinning moves were just for fun!
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Zeman wrote:
I assume since you guys are pretty dedicated Lichtenauer scholars that the spinning moves were just for fun!

Thats a 'highlights' video which includes guys not even in our group (we spar with people off the street quite frequently, usually EMA people who want to try their luck, like the guy in the black samurai outfit) Some of the stuff in there is more serious, some more just horseplay. The more serious stuff comes in when the music changes...

Also when you see us using the staff / spear or the axe, it's not to learn how to use those weapons (which we haven't done) but more of a kind of a drill for the longsword to learn how to cope with the unexpected. Coping with thrusts from a longer weapon for example is an excellent way to learn the value of a krumphau.

The "spin moves" just happened by accident, I ended up backward one time to my opponent due to a poorly timed strike and going around was just the fastest thing I could think of to get my point back online, more out of panic than anything else. I think the same thing happened with Skip before I did all those pommel strikes to his head.

Anyway it's a lot of silly stuff and a little bit of serious sparring toward the end, and I'm sure our form is terrible all the way through, but it does illustrate the zwerch / zorn thing we were talking about and people seemed to not understand each other, so thats why I posted it.

(We try to be serious but we don't have any instructors so we are kind of the blind leading the blind and I'm sure it shows)

Jean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New ARMA article: "On Damaged Edge…"
Page 3 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: