Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Arms and Armor Walloon Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The decorative work could be thought as tricks but more in line in using other tools. 'Some filing" Wink I like that Wink

What would "Ben" Hunt do? One of my first books given as a young boy was the Indian Craft&Lore book. In the back of it were pages of very finely lined grids for laying out bead work. On other pages of metal and leather work, how to fashion decorative punches Wink

Cheers

GC
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wallon         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
I will try to get some glamour shots to Roger and comment on other aspects as I have time.

I'm looking forward to this. You always do so good with your photos and have so many props and whatnot to put into the composition.

Great work, Craig.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The more I look at this sword, the more I want one. A very nice addition Roger. Congrats!
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All the professionals are coming out of the woodwork for this one and justifiably so; that is a fabulous job A and A have done.

Well done to all concerned.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword is getting a very positive response - so what is its appeal? .

I think that it may be the unusual combination of being both simple and complex. On one side, the hilt has a minimalist design with just a knucklebar and no side branches, but still with a pleasing overall shape. On the other side, it has the complicated star and moon patterned pierced, plates, which I haven't seen on any other sword.

And overall, it looks like a sword that really means business.

I'm looking forward to wielding this Walloon, to see how it handles. Craig wrote me that it feels, "pretty lively in the hand and solid in the hilt".
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sat 06 Aug, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos that Craig just sent me. I like the scabbard chape. I've never seen one like that before.

Attachment: 97.49 KB
scabswdRHOLsm.jpg

Attachment: 47.93 KB
scab-tip.jpg

Attachment: 95.38 KB
wallRHa.jpg

Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. The more I see the work that A&A does the more I realize what a great eye that Craig and his crew have for getting these pieces correct down to every last detail. It's good to see that they are so deserving of the comment that Mr. Oakeshott gave them. Big Grin

You have yourself a beautiful piece.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the bottom pic, two posts above, I think that the piercing of the plate creates a pattern of bright spots that echo the reflections of the grip's wire wrap and makes the whole look rich in visual detail.

And the contrast of this visual texture is nicely balanced by the basic simplicity of the shapes in the guard: If this was a very much more intricate style, with lots of activity, the file work might overwhelm and make the whole " fussy " rather than a balance of visual complexity versus design simplicity ...... or, in fewer words, beautiful work. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Aug, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous, Absolutely Gorgeous! Chris and Craig being full fledged Swordsmiths, I believe there is nothing they cannot accomplish! That's one gorgeous walloon sword, in fact it's radiant!
Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig sent me some of his Still Life variations on the Walloon sword. Someone (sadly, not me) should pick up a paintbrush and put one of these onto canvas.

Attachment: 55.35 KB
RHWalltab003.jpg

Attachment: 42.18 KB
RHWalltab005.jpg

Attachment: 91.7 KB
RHWalltab006sm.jpg

Attachment: 92.17 KB
RHWalltab008sm.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Aug, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks damn fine. I especially like the first photo in this last series.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just emailed this page to my cousin who IS an award winning artist, has a membership to this website. He is the Chief Art Historian for the US Airforce, on base has papers and I'd as a Colonel and not a Lt Col. He would also love to do medieval and reanaissance art commissions. Jim is my dad's, sister's son. Has had a number of water colors and pen and ink art on international museum tours!
Can be found on internet under: James Conahan. Not sure of website address off hand. But with the air force he sits down with various ranking generals and colonels.
By the way this is some awesome photography right up there with Nathan Robinson's talent!

Bob

JimConahan.com

There are a few art galleries on his website. NOT some run of the mill semi-talented artist!
Age 7 he could draw better than art teachers in high schools. A God given enormous talent which he does thank God for such an extreme gift. There are some photos that used to be in here but I don,t know quite how to find them.

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Walloon sword is now in my possession. Everything that has already been said about it is true, so what more can I say? The photographs don’t do it justice – it is even more impressive in person to the hand and eye. The star and moon pattern on the pierced plates is beautifully done and must have taken a long time to complete. I sure hope that they didn’t get 75% through the file work, and then mess up one star and have to start over again. As with all 17th century Northern European swords with side-rings and thumb loops, the plate with the thumb loop is a little narrower, giving the hilt a slightly lop-sided look. The thumb loop side has a maximum of 6 rows of stars, the outboard side-ring plates has a max of 7 rows of stars.

I was worried about the grip length. Craig said it was 3.188 inches long. My hand needs 4 inches to fit comfortably inside a hilt. Craig assured me that it wouldn’t be a problem. When I picked up the sword, I found that the handle extends beyond the turk heads on both sides, giving the extra room. Also, the heel of my hand rests nicely on the slope of the pear-shaped pommel.

At 3 lbs., with a fair bit of metal in the hilt, the sword is of a medium weight. It isn’t feather-light lively, but it handles quite well with a lot of authority. With a little practice, it should feel great in my hand. It’s cut and thrust, with emphasis on the cut.

I got a bonus with the scabbard. Like most of us, I have more swords than scabbards, and many of them are leather sheaths. I always hope that a new sword will fit one of them, but that almost never happens. For my previous custom sword from A&A, the 17th Century Military sword - I got a simple sheath. That sword deserved better, and of course it didn’t fit any of my other scabbards. For the Walloon I commissioned a good wood-core scabbard. You can see a picture of it up-thread. After it arrived, just for kicks I slipped the 17thC military into the new Walloon scabbard. It fits perfectly! I can use it for both swords.

If I haven’t said it enough, this is a very cool, very wonderful sword. As I said at the beginning of the thread, nobody has done a recreation of this Walloon type until now. It took a lot of planning, artistry, time, and hard work to make this sword a reality. Arms and Armor is one of a very few entities around the world that can make a complex hilted sword like this one, at this highest level.

Finally, many of you have probably come across this link – if not, here is a short article from the Legermuseum in the Netherlands, with a technical description of one of their Walloons, and a history of the type.

Attachment: 88.62 KB
HpWAllH002sm.jpg

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This really is a great piece Roger. Kudos to you and the shop. If I were not such a hampster brain in my own collecting habits, something along these lines would be welcome on my walls. I look forward to more adventures from A&A as well as more impressions on this one as time goes by.

Cheers

GC
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to post a few of my own photos of this amazing sword. I don't know why there are no good production versions of Walloons available to buy.

Attachment: 97.54 KB
W9s.jpg

Attachment: 96.42 KB
W11s.jpg

Attachment: 98.56 KB
W10s.jpg

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 31 Aug, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, that is very nice. Very, very nice. Congratulations on a fine acquisition. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Arms and Armor Walloon Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: